Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

Eating for your health while on the road.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid

I did a search on this and didn't get many current hits directly related to this topic so I thought I'd start a thread.

Two weeks ago I decided it would actually be cheaper to eat out rather than to book a room with a fridge and microwave. But so much of what is on restaurant menus can't be worked off with a post dinner workout.

So far I've done sandwiches and fruit (either from home or the grocery store) for lunch and then for dinner I've been doing (1) a tortilla-less burrito or salad at Qdoba or (2) a low-fat sandwich on whole wheat at Subway. I'm getting a little bored of these selections and I'm completely out of ideas.

So what are the places and healthful items that you choose while on the road? For me, healthful means lower in fat, higher in fiber, and higher in protein. But feel free to re-define "healthful" as you wish.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I've found that most places have skinless chicken breast, and are willing to serve it grilled, with no butter, and no toppings. I'll combine that with steamed veggies (hold the butter). Most places will allow you to order double sides, so I'll do a double side of veggies. If I want to add flavor to the chicken, and the restaurant has salsa, I'll ask for a side of salsa on the side.

I've also taken to eating no more than half of the food they serve, and having the other half boxed up to take with me.

McDonald's southwest salad with grilled chicken is actually pretty decent, both health-wise and taste-wise, although high in sodium.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
While this certainly is apt for this forum, I'm going to make a judgment call and send it (with permanent re-direct here in Dining Buzz) to FT's new forum dedicated to this sort of topic.

cblaisd
Moderator, Dining Buzz
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I often try to seek out grocery stores with salad bars and build a nice big salad for myself (not much dressing of course!).
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The eating out thing vs in-room is an interesting idea, but I actually went the other way recently.

When I was in LA at the beginning of February, I ended up staying 2 extra days unexpectedly due to ORD being closed. I had been upgraded to a jr. suite that had an empty fridge.

So instead of doing the restaurant thing or room service or going up to the executive lounge, I went to my favorite gourmet grocery store & got dif items for take-out, a little of this, a little of that. It was probably less or about the same as eating out, but it was nice to have some of my favorite stuff, not be restaurant food, and hang out in my room. It actually made me think about doing that more in the future.

Cheers.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:40 pm
Suspended

depends on which road you are, but in example in au... u have public bbq...so just grill your own steak/fish/whatever maybe...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.