Search

Airports w/ healthy or decent eating options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Airports w/ healthy or decent eating options

Since we all travel through airports & sometimes have layovers (or get there because we left hotel before exec lounge or restaurant opened, or will get to hotel too late for both), I thought it would be a good idea for us to start a list of airports that have healthy or decent eating options.

Something along the lines of (name of airport), (name of eating facility), location in airport (Terminal # or Concourse # or Gate #). This would include both domestic & international airports.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Found this in an article:

Pick the right port
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport tied for the top ranking in a survey on healthy meals at the nation's 15 busiest airports done by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. According to the survey, you can find at least one healthy meal (one low in fat and cholesterol and high in fiber) at 95% of these airports' restaurants. Others topping the list were O'Hare (Chicago), George Bush Intercontinental (Houston), Sky Harbor International (Phoenix), and Los Angeles Internation

Of course it doesn't say where in the airport.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Saw this on an airline pilot site:

"My favorite place to eat by far is French Meadow Bakery at MSP. They hae a great menu full of organic food as well as an attached bakery with tons of healthy snacks."

"Paradise Bakery (in PHX and one other airport which I can't recall) has good food and lots of salad options."

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:55 pm

(full disclosure, this company was at one point a client of my company)
I love the CIBO Express grab-and-go markets at various airports across the country. They have hummus and pita chips, sandwiches with greens instead of iceberg lettuce, veggie plates.

CIBO Express is owned by OTG. OTG's airport restaurants also seem to be healthier. They have asian fusion restaurants in PHL, TUS, LGA and some other places.

CIBO Express has locations between B and F in ORD, MCO, LGA, JFK, TUS, many other places.

CIBO Express also sells gourmet chips and chocolates. I'm not including those with the healthy items.
http://ciboexpressgourmetmarket.com/
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
RDU has a Camden Foods location. They have premade sandwiches and salads that come without condiments, so you can pretty much pick off what you don't want. They also have cut veggies and hummus which isn't bad. A good selection of dried fruits and healthier drinks (Vitamin Water 0, Naked Juices, etc.)
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Plus one for cibo express - they are awesome
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
DTW- Online Cafe - Terminal A - their special last week was a chicken kabob that was actually REALLY tasty and healthy.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I also love Cibo Express!

In DFW, I like Urban Taco (either terminal A or C, I can't remember) as they have great grilled meat tacos on soft corn tortillas with fresh veggies/salsas.

At ORD, the new Wicker Park sushi/raw bar that opened on the Terminal 2 connector is great. I walked over there today for a bite. Food isn't the best sushi I've ever had but for fresh seafood and salads, it beats a lot of other ORD options. Seaweed salad that a neighboring table was huge and looked good - next time I'm getting that and a few pieces of sashimi!
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:08 am
Original Poster

I saw that sushi bar at ORD when I was connecting over to T2 a couple of weeks ago. I'm allergic to seafood, but I thought what a great idea. It looked pretty busy.

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:11 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
BOS - UFood Grill (http://www.ufoodgrill.com/) - the AA side of Terminal B (food court)

I find them to be a good option for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Burritos/wraps with whole-grain wraps, brown rice, steamed vegetables, baked french fries, lots of veggie options, smoothies, etc.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:27 am

Boars Head stand in the JFK Jet Blue Terminal. I usually get a sliced chicken on whole wheat sandwhich and a yogurt from Cibo express for the flight.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta DM!
STL has Mosaic were you can get egg white frittatas, fruit, yogurt, etc... Great salads at lunch.

Last edited by travelingsalesgal; Mar 10, 2011 at 8:43 am Reason: I can't spell
Old May 9, 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since we all travel through airports & sometimes have layovers (or get there because we left hotel before exec lounge or restaurant opened, or will get to hotel too late for both), I thought it would be a good idea for us to start a list of airports that have healthy or decent eating options.

Something along the lines of (name of airport), (name of eating facility), location in airport (Terminal # or Concourse # or Gate #). This would include both domestic & international airports.

Cheers.

Just as a heads-up, we just launched food delivery to the gate with Balducci's at JFK T3, and we included a bunch of healthy salad options as part of the service.

The app and the service is free:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/b4-yo...433951842?mt=8

Let me know what you think, what you'd like to see tweaked, etc.

Thanks,
-Hans
Old May 10, 2011, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldwide viking
Just as a heads-up, we just launched food delivery to the gate with Balducci's at JFK T3, and we included a bunch of healthy salad options as part of the service.

The app and the service is free:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/b4-yo...433951842?mt=8

Let me know what you think, what you'd like to see tweaked, etc.

Thanks,
-Hans
That sounds pretty cool! Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers.
Old May 11, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Ciba Express is at DCA, too, at the area that US uses.

I like It's a Wrap / It's a Bowl in Terminal B at DEN. They have some salads and bowl options with brown rice and lots of veggies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.