Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

First time flying w/kids; UA from IAD to SIN w/2 kids (17 mo. & 3 yrs 11 mo.); tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time flying w/kids; UA from IAD to SIN w/2 kids (17 mo. & 3 yrs 11 mo.); tips?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status? What's that? :)

My wife and I are planning to fly back to Singapore next February (for Chinese New Year) and this time, we're bringing the kids with us to visit their grandparents, family, etc. Obviously, this will be the first time flying for the kids and for us, flying with kids in tow!

Before I start doing some award ticketing reservations (no more elite status with UA), I'd like the get the collective wisdom of the experts here as to what works best when traveling with kids.

1. Stopvers/transits; is it best to pick the most direct flight (in this case, UA 803/804 which is IAD-NRT-SIN and back) or pick flights with a lot of stopovers (so that the kids can get out and play and later/hopefully sleep in the plane?)

2. I'm assuming that for my almost 4 year old daughter, she'll need her own seat and that 17 mo. old baby boy will be an infant lap?

3. Seating; if I pick UA 803/804 which is a B777, is it best to do a 2-2 seating (each kid to a parent) arrangement, or best to do the middle row? I'm thinking the 2-2 is probably probably best if I'm on a 777 but for a 744, the 3-6-3 seating arrangement may be tougher. Another reason why I'm picking the 777 is for the in-seat IFE.

4. Any other suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by tayd; Jul 14, 2009 at 9:51 am
Old Jul 14, 2009, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by tayd
My wife and I are planning to fly back to Singapore next February (for Chinese New Year) and this time, we're bringing the kids with us to visit their grandparents, family, etc. Obviously, this will be the first time flying for the kids and for us, flying with kids in tow!

Before I start doing some award ticketing reservations (no more elite status with UA), I'd like the get the collective wisdom of the experts here as to what works best when traveling with kids.

1. Stopvers/transits; is it best to pick the most direct flight (in this case, UA 803/804 which is IAD-NRT-SIN and back) or pick flights with a lot of stopovers (so that the kids can get out and play and later/hopefully sleep in the plane?)

2. I'm assuming that for my almost 4 year old daughter, she'll need her own seat and that 17 mo. old baby boy will be an infant lap?

3. Seating; if I pick UA 803/804 which is a B777, is it best to do a 2-2 seating (each kid to a parent) arrangement, or best to do the middle row? I'm thinking the 2-2 is probably probably best if I'm on a 777 but for a 744, the 3-6-3 seating arrangement may be tougher. Another reason why I'm picking the 777 is for the in-seat IFE.

4. Any other suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David
David,
This is just my own personal opinion so take it for what it's worth.
Any child over 2 years of age must have their own seat so you are correct that your daughter will need a seat of her own. Your son can ride on your lap, but do you really want to take the chance that you might have to hold him for the entire flight? It would be extremely uncomfortable for you to have to hang on to a squirmy 17 month old for that many hours and would probably be difficult for either one of you to sleep comfortably.
As far as I know, when travelling internationally the "infant fare" is 10% of the full fare adult ticket and is some times a lot cheaper just to buy the extra seat if you can find tickets at a discounted rate. Even though your child is on your lap you will also be required to pay his taxes etc. as well.
Again, this is just my opinion and you will probably have people chiming in with other ideas but for me it would be too much of a gamble that you would literally end up holding him for many, many hours.
Have a great trip!
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
We've done IAD-NRT-SIN with our 2 kids several times (8+ trips) and IAD-NRT (16+ trips) over the years, since they were each 3 months old. Sometimes with both parents but often with just one parent. We flew NH in the beginning and now, mostly UA.

Make no mistake, it will seem like a never ending journey (approx 26 hours door-to-door) but we survived. The good news is: it gets much better when they get bigger. My kids are now in elementary school and the last couple of trips were a breeze: they read, play on their DS, watch movies, and eat and go to the bathroom all by themselves.

Here were some things that helped us:
1) Fly on the direct flight i.e. UA803/804. More stops=more energy expanded=more time=more chances for misconnects.

2) Preorder the child meal. Older kids will be able to feed themselves. Tell yourselves that it is OK if they don't eat.

3) They get to bring whatever candy they want. Chewing on candy during takeoff/landing helps with ear pressure issues.

4) Bring some activity books (coloring, stickers etc). Bring some crayons + books + toys. Some parents bring along a portable DVD player + extra batteries (we never had one or a need for one)

5) NRT has 2 play areas airside in Terminal 1.

6) Bring water. Drink plenty of water.

7) Seating: we go for the middle-section bulkhead because it gives them space on the floor to stretch a little.

8) Our kids flew as lap infants until they were too old (2+). Best way to manage this is to alternate the lap infant between parents in shifts. One sleeps/rests, the other takes care of the baby.

9) Bring and gate-check a light umbrella stroller. It serves a dual-purpose: you can also hang your carryons on it.

10) Don't overpack your carryons: limit to just essentials.

11) Dress kids in layers: cabin temps might be too hot/cold for them.

Good luck.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 2:24 am

Programs: United Plus
I'm a former Flight Attendant and I fly about every six months between Europe and California alone with my three children.

Babies under 2 years are allowed in laps for commercial reasons. It's actually not safe but the chances of anything going wrong are slim. If anything does go wrong, lap children are not protected. Having the child in a separate seat, in a car seat, is not only safer but more comfortable, for the child, parents and all those around them. I've seen some very uncomfortable flights with some big toddlers!

Plus, if you will be doing any car travel in Singapore, you'll need at least one car seat. Bringing it on the aircraft means it isn't lost or mishandled in transit. Never check a car seat in as luggage. The airlines wont take responsibility for what they consider a "delicate" item.

Definitely go for the fewest number of stops possible. Each time you land, you add time to your journey and run the risk of a delay. Too much stress and it's awful dragging the sleeping child off the plane into the airport just to catch yet-another flight...

Remember that "direct" and "non-stop" are not always the same thing. A "direct" flight can stop and even change aircraft. Only the flight number stays the same.

Since I fly alone with mine, we just take one row (which we don't have and hope to sort out for our next flight). If there is more than one adult, you have more flexibility. One friend likes to put her husband in front of her and their son, who is a big kicker. If you have the car seat with you, than it has to go in a middle seat in the middle section or if it's a window aisle, by the window. I also like middle bulkhead seats but United prefers to give them to frequent fliers, rather than families with small children who really need them!

Please don't stress about their ears. This is a highly overrated problem. I never do anything with my kids and they have never had any ear issues on any of our many flights. Please don't wake them or force them to drink. If they're already up and willing, sure offer something but don't panic over this.

I do take mine to the ped a few days before flying and get their ears checked out. Flying with a blockage or infection is not only painful but could be dangerous. If their ears are healthy, they can handle the pressurization changes.

You do not have to take an umbrella stroller. You can gate-check any stroller that folds. Take what you need for your trip, not just the flight.

Be sure to have changes of clothes and more than enough diapers. Calculate 1/3 more than she uses in the same time frame at home. He will go through more for a number of reasons, plus if you have a delay, etc. Wrap them in plastic and tie with rubber bands to make space. Practice changing him standing up because it's more convenient for travel and he wont fit on the changing tables.

I really suggest a baby carrier of some sort for the younger one. Good ones should go at least to age 2 (fiddly front packs like the Bjorn are usually outgrown quickly). You need some way of carrying her if he has a meltdown in customs or falls alseep on landing. He may not cooperate in the stroller. I saw too many parents trying to get through airports and off planes with toddlers draped across their shoulders. I was so grateful for my sling so many times! A real sanity-saver and great for calming them inflight.

About 9 years ago I wrote an article which I later put on a blog. It's totally non-commercial so feel free to visit;
http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:06 pm

I would definitely reccomend getting the baby a seat-- 17 months can be a very squirmy age. And it's a veeeeeeeeeeeery long flight...

Also second the most direct route-- you probably know, but almost anywhere in Asia is going to be a madhouse around Chinese New Year, go straight for your destination...
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
There's a lot to be said for getting home as quickly as possible, but I found that when our children were very young, the journey from the US to Asia was a little more bearable with transit stops in Europe and the Middle East. Being able to get out, stretch legs, use a lounge, have an overnight stop, etc is helpful to the child too.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
David,
This is just my own personal opinion so take it for what it's worth.
Any child over 2 years of age must have their own seat so you are correct that your daughter will need a seat of her own. Your son can ride on your lap, but do you really want to take the chance that you might have to hold him for the entire flight? It would be extremely uncomfortable for you to have to hang on to a squirmy 17 month old for that many hours and would probably be difficult for either one of you to sleep comfortably.
As far as I know, when travelling internationally the "infant fare" is 10% of the full fare adult ticket and is some times a lot cheaper just to buy the extra seat if you can find tickets at a discounted rate. Even though your child is on your lap you will also be required to pay his taxes etc. as well.
Again, this is just my opinion and you will probably have people chiming in with other ideas but for me it would be too much of a gamble that you would literally end up holding him for many, many hours.
Have a great trip!
As I'll be using award tickets, I also did inquire about the cost to purchase a ticket for the infant and I couldn't believe how expensie it was. My only dilemma now is whether to redeem another award ticket for the 17 mo. old or treat him as an infant lap passenger, and put him in a car seat.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tide
We've done IAD-NRT-SIN with our 2 kids several times (8+ trips) and IAD-NRT (16+ trips) over the years, since they were each 3 months old. Sometimes with both parents but often with just one parent. We flew NH in the beginning and now, mostly UA.

Make no mistake, it will seem like a never ending journey (approx 26 hours door-to-door) but we survived. The good news is: it gets much better when they get bigger. My kids are now in elementary school and the last couple of trips were a breeze: they read, play on their DS, watch movies, and eat and go to the bathroom all by themselves.

Here were some things that helped us:
1) Fly on the direct flight i.e. UA803/804. More stops=more energy expanded=more time=more chances for misconnects.

2) Preorder the child meal. Older kids will be able to feed themselves. Tell yourselves that it is OK if they don't eat.

3) They get to bring whatever candy they want. Chewing on candy during takeoff/landing helps with ear pressure issues.

4) Bring some activity books (coloring, stickers etc). Bring some crayons + books + toys. Some parents bring along a portable DVD player + extra batteries (we never had one or a need for one)

5) NRT has 2 play areas airside in Terminal 1.

6) Bring water. Drink plenty of water.

7) Seating: we go for the middle-section bulkhead because it gives them space on the floor to stretch a little.

8) Our kids flew as lap infants until they were too old (2+). Best way to manage this is to alternate the lap infant between parents in shifts. One sleeps/rests, the other takes care of the baby.

9) Bring and gate-check a light umbrella stroller. It serves a dual-purpose: you can also hang your carryons on it.

10) Don't overpack your carryons: limit to just essentials.

11) Dress kids in layers: cabin temps might be too hot/cold for them.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tips! I'm glad to see another FT'er who has done the same route for years that we're considering taking.

Instead of UA, I've decided to go for NH instead, mainly for overall better service, food, IFE (I've also started a thread on the NH forum about this), and so far, seven months out, there is availability for award tickets to SIN.

In light of what some of the other FT'ers have suggested, I'm now debating whether or not to redeem another Y ticket (four total) for my then 17 mo. old instead of treating him as an infant lap passenger, and have him in a car seat for the flight. I checked with ANA on their baggage allowance and it looks like if it's an infant lap child, he gets 1 check-in luggage and either a stroller or car seat will not be counted against that one allowance; if I redeem a ticket, he'll have the same baggage allowance as an adult pax but then the stroller or car seat will be counted against the allowance. http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/general/e/guide/baggage.html

Also, when you were traveling with your kids who were under 2 at that time, did you request a bassinet for them, so they don't have to sleep on the parents' lap? ANA tells me that their bassinet only has a max allowed weight of 20 lbs. My son, currently 9.5 months old, is already at 18 lbs.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by tayd; Jul 16, 2009 at 7:40 am
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
I'm a former Flight Attendant and I fly about every six months between Europe and California alone with my three children.
About 9 years ago I wrote an article which I later put on a blog. It's totally non-commercial so feel free to visit;
http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Let me know if you have any further questions!

WOW!!! Thank you! I actually read through it all yesterday and to say that I was overwhelmed would be an understatement.

Looks like I'll have to go back and re-read it several more times and give my wife the executive summary.

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
There's a lot to be said for getting home as quickly as possible, but I found that when our children were very young, the journey from the US to Asia was a little more bearable with transit stops in Europe and the Middle East. Being able to get out, stretch legs, use a lounge, have an overnight stop, etc is helpful to the child too.
This was another possibility that I was considering for my itinerary (have multiple stops along the way).

My sister in-law did that with her son when they were traveling back to Asia when he was very young (between the ages of 3-6); she'd schedule multiple transit stops along the way and by the time they board the plane, he'd be tired and literally sleep most of the way.

But I'm not sure if I want to prolong the overall travel time with the additional hours, at least for the first time!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaye
I would definitely reccomend getting the baby a seat-- 17 months can be a very squirmy age. And it's a veeeeeeeeeeeery long flight...

Also second the most direct route-- you probably know, but almost anywhere in Asia is going to be a madhouse around Chinese New Year, go straight for your destination...
LOL on your comment about 17 months being a squirmy age. At 9.5 months, he can be quite squirmy!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 6:36 pm

As I'll be using award tickets, I also did inquire about the cost to purchase a ticket for the infant and I couldn't believe how expensie it was. My only dilemma now is whether to redeem another award ticket for the 17 mo. old or treat him as an infant lap passenger, and put him in a car seat.
You mention treating him as an infant (lap child), if he's a lap child then you won't be able to use a car seat unless there is an empty seat next to you. That's the gamble I was talking about in my previous post, is it worth the gamble that there will be empty seats on the plane and/or an empty one right next to you. Only way to guarantee you can use the car seat is if you have purchased a ticket or award.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:29 pm

Someone metntioned bassinets, it depends on the airline, but I don't think a 17 m.o. will fit in most bassinets... My 9 m.o. was a tight fit.

K.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 2:16 am

Programs: United Plus
WOW!!! Thank you! I actually read through it all yesterday and to say that I was overwhelmed would be an understatement.

Looks like I'll have to go back and re-read it several more times and give my wife the executive summary.

Thanks!
You seriously didn't read it all?!? Even the pumping section?? I try to divide it up so that it's obvious which parts apply to your situation, i.e. those flying with newborns don't have to read up on DVD players...

It was originally 10" when it first appeared in a local expat newsletter in 2000. I just keep putting stuff in it. Next to appear, thanks to this board will be a section on how to deal when your child hates his car seat. I have tricks for dealing with this....

About the bassinets, they're tiny. I think Lufthansa has the biggest I've heard of and that fit my 12 month old. I don't know of any that fit toddlers. Some only fit 6 monthers so it's best to always check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.