Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Specific DVDs that keep infants occupied?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2008, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have recommendations for specific DVD titles that might be of all-consuming interest to 9-to-15-month-olds? We've purchased a portable DVD player for in-flight use. On the first trip using it, it was very successful, but we only have 3 very short discs. We have several flights coming up, including one very long trip, and are in need of more extensive programming.
Old May 26, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
My youngest son used to be mesmerized by "My Neighbor Totoro" at that age. He would watch it for hours and hours, over and over.
Old May 26, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Teletubbies are meant for that age bracket. Kids that age love primary or bright colors, repetition, the giggling, etc.
Old May 26, 2008, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
If you've got a bit of time before your first journey (particularly the long one), I suggest that you give Netflix a try. You can try some different DVDs and see which shows or characters your son or daughter finds mesmerizing before making purchases.

For my son, at this age he enjoyed the Baby Einstein series. Specifically, his favorites around the time he turned one were Baby Galileo and Baby Shakespeare.

Good luck!
Old May 26, 2008, 9:25 pm

I flew recently with my 15 month old niece and had Sesame Street on my video iPod. In Spanish (for practice.) She loved it.

Also this might be a bit above that age but Nick Jr's Wonderpets is really cool.
Old May 26, 2008, 9:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
The Baby Einstein series and "Finding Nemo" the movie were big hits with my daughter. At that age anything with bright colours and soothing sounds is a sure hit
Old May 27, 2008, 2:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Originally Posted by schwarm
Does anyone have recommendations for specific DVD titles that might be of all-consuming interest to 9-to-15-month-olds?
Children under the age of two shouldn't be watching -any- tv.
Old May 27, 2008, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BillScann
Not even on an airplane?

Frankly, I'm way more concerned about ears and time zone changes than about a few hours of DVDs.

Last edited by schwarm; May 27, 2008 at 7:02 am
Old May 27, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
My youngest son used to be mesmerized by "My Neighbor Totoro" at that age. He would watch it for hours and hours, over and over.
I agree... my son loved Totoro. And the Baby Einsteins - while they certainly won't make your kid smarter! - do keep them interested.

Old May 27, 2008, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by michellemck99
If you've got a bit of time before your first journey (particularly the long one), I suggest that you give Netflix a try. You can try some different DVDs and see which shows or characters your son or daughter finds mesmerizing before making purchases.

For my son, at this age he enjoyed the Baby Einstein series. Specifically, his favorites around the time he turned one were Baby Galileo and Baby Shakespeare.

Good luck!
I second this, though will add that I don't think any child this age has a long enough attention span that a DVD will keep him/her occupied for very long. I've found that new toys are a better solution for keeping a baby occupied. Buy some new, small, quiet items that you can break out every 30-60 minutes and I think you'll have more success.
Old May 27, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline

Would you rather have a quiet child watching a DVD next to you/behind you/in front of you or a screamer? Nothing wrong with a special treat.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:35 pm

I agree with the Baby Einstein suggestions. At that age my daughter loved Baby MacDonald, Baby Neptune and Baby Beethoven.
Old May 28, 2008, 7:02 am

My personal experience was that the DVD was of limited use at that age. I would still bring it, but don't expect 2 hours of quiet time when using it. My son got more pleasure from pushing the buttons and pulling out the headphones then from actually watching any DVD. To solve the pulling out of the headphone problem I opened up the unit and cut the wires to the speakers so he wouldn't disturb anyone if he pulled it out.

To increase the utility of the DVD player on flights I do not let him use it any other time to make travel more special.

Keba
Old May 28, 2008, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by yukira
I agree with the Baby Einstein suggestions. At that age my daughter loved Baby MacDonald, Baby Neptune and Baby Beethoven.
Another Baby Einstein vote here. Baby Mozart was my son's fav.
Old May 28, 2008, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Pocoyo and Cars was and still is my son's fave (he's 3 yo now). The last time I flew with him when he was 2 yo, I got cars, he just love it, but he was more manageable that time than he is now. I'm dreaded to bring him this summer vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.