Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

DVD player to pacify 2yo at restaurant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex

As he ages, we'll teach my 2-year-old (as we have taught is older sister) to sit calmly and patiently in restaurants. For the time being, though, he tends to finish his meal early and then want to be able to walk around and explore the restaurant, or to play at the table in an unacceptably distracting manner.

We'll be in Paris in October, and his mother and I REALLY do not want to miss the Parisian dining experience. I've learned that in general, kids are well-accepted in Parisian restaurants, and we're planning to dine at 7 pm, so as to be on our way out by the time the place starts to fill up. But I still think it would be best for all concerned if we could keep him reliably entertained after he's finished his meal. So we're contemplating bringing along the portable DVD player and headphones.

I've never seen that in a restaurant before, so I wonder if it strikes anyone as exceptionally tacky, or would it be appreciated for its effectiveness?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: LH SEN
I think an iPod video is more discrete and easier to carry.
It's even better with this case, that keeps the iPod upright.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...075595-0370343
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:42 am

To be frank - kids are not really that well accepted in restaurants in France. You'd be much better off having the hotel find a baby sitter for those few hours. Otherwise any of the handheld game systems (Nintendo DS, etc) have movies/cartoons on cartridges. Some are very inexpensive and fit in your pocket.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA
I would not worry and just bring it along and start it up if your 2 year old gets restless. Nothing will happen in the restaurant when you turn it on and you can enjoy your meal.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Absolutly agree!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier
It doesn't strike me as tacky unless you're talking about the Plaza Athenee or someplace like that where people are paying 100's of euros apiece for perfect atmosphere. In any other type of restaurant, I think silent entertainment that keeps a child quietly in his seat is per se considerate to other guests. (I was recently seated near a family at NOMI at the Park Hyatt in Chicago, and the mother allowed the child to play a small video game WITH THE SOUND ON. That's a different story.)
Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: skymiles,
Sorry but it makes me cringe. He's 2 - and his attention span is probably all of 20 minutes. I wouldn't do it and don't. When we travel, we still enjoy the local food, in a differenct manner. We eat in Cafe's, buy a lot of street food and pick stuff up at a local market.

So I'd say a big "No" to a DVD player or video game player, but that is just my opinion, seeing as you asked!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
We'll be in Paris in October, and his mother and I REALLY do not want to miss the Parisian dining experience. I've learned that in general, kids are well-accepted in Parisian restaurants, and we're planning to dine at 7 pm, so as to be on our way out by the time the place starts to fill up. But I still think it would be best for all concerned if we could keep him reliably entertained after he's finished his meal. So we're contemplating bringing along the portable DVD player and headphones.

I've never seen that in a restaurant before, so I wonder if it strikes anyone as exceptionally tacky, or would it be appreciated for its effectiveness?
From everything I've seen/heard/read, just taking a 2 year old into a fine Parisian restaurant is frowned upon, forget the DVD player. My in-laws took their 11 year old to one, and the host suggested to them at the door that "this isn't a restaurant for children." The girl, after a year in an English boarding school, had impeccable manners but was treated rudely the entire meal by the staff.

The best way to keep the toddler entertained and not bothering other restaurant patrons is a babysitter. I've used them when we travel since my son was an infant, and still do, although he has long since learned proper restaurant manners.

As for a DVD player in a restaurant, ugh. If I wanted to see cartoons when I dine, we'd go to Chuck E. Cheese - and we don't. I also have no confidence in the DVD player keeping the kid happy and stationary long enough for the parents to eat.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tsukiji
Sorry but it makes me cringe. He's 2 - and his attention span is probably all of 20 minutes. I wouldn't do it and don't. When we travel, we still enjoy the local food, in a differenct manner. We eat in Cafe's, buy a lot of street food and pick stuff up at a local market.

So I'd say a big "No" to a DVD player or video game player, but that is just my opinion, seeing as you asked!
i second that. it won't be a good experience. not for you - not for the 2yo and nt for the other guests in that restaurant. don't do it unless you can find a baby sitter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.