Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Powdered Formula okay to carry on plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver

My wife and I are travelling to Thailand on March 2nd. I would like to carry on the plane 3 51.4 oz sealed cannisters of powdered baby formula. We will be in Thailand for 3 weeks plus and I know I can purchase formula in Thailand but would love to carry the same brand that my daughter so enjoys in the U.S.. Does anyone know if this is permitted. I have read the TSA page on items allowed and it does address liquid formula but I'm still unclear about powder. I realize it could be checked and this may be my only option but in this crazy mixed up world I would prefer to have something like that with me instead of out of sight for the long flight to Thailand. Any thoughts? I would not check my iPod and checking formula does not seem like such a good idea either.

Rich
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Yes it is allowed - you're talking about a sealed can of powdered enfamil or similac right? No issues whatsoever.

What we did was carry one of those in hand and put another one in each checked suitcase, simply to lighten the carry-on load. If the airline you fly is strict on carry-on luggage you may need to do the same thing.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Yes it is allowed - you're talking about a sealed can of powdered enfamil or similac right? No issues whatsoever.
It's actually the Sam's club Members Mark brand. A great price for the amount of formula. Thanks for the advice. This is the first time I've travelled with an infant so I'm a bit anxious.

Rich
Old Feb 17, 2007, 5:26 pm

I never had any problem doing that either.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:02 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
We brought a ziplock bag of opened formula last week through IAD and through JFK without any issue at all.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:19 pm

We just got back and were allowed to carry on powdered & liquid with no problem. You should be fine.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Here's something to make you feel happy about our airport security:

So I was travelling with my wife, kid, and infant with a small ziplock bag of powdered formula, IAD-CHS. I put two ounces of water in the bottle in order to make it quickly. On the way out there, no one said a word.

On the way back through CHS, the guard (in a very nice way) told me that I couldn't bring the water through as it was not allowed. However, the formula was okay.... in fact, if I mixed the formula and the water in the bottle, THAT was fine, too! I couldn't believe it ... water is not allowed, but formula that was mixed in WAS. That makes no sense!

It's not a huge deal .. I was more scared about our security than anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.