Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flying with an infant question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by chebourashka
If you baby is on formula, it is better to bring your own and the bottled watter so you can quickly make your formula. Also, bring sterilized bottles. I brought 6 bottles in my diaper bag (solid bag), diappers, cleaning clothes and small pharmacy with a thermometer, Tempra, any medecine that the baby takes.
For anyone who is pregnant and reading this, with all due respect to chebourashka, this is an excellent reason to breastfeed! I couldn't imagine going to all that trouble with an infant, and on top of it all, the baby is much more likely to be ill because his immune system isn't what a breastfed baby's is. I've taken my breastfed babies to many destinations and with the exception of a few diapers, clothes, and teethers, the baby's things took very little time. I never had to worry about sterilization, bottles, temperature of water, and all that kind of stuff. Traveling with a bottle baby is a huge deal.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA PLAT
I also recommend EarPlanes

They are special ear plugs available in drug stores and online at drugstore.com. They come in child size and I used them on my 3 month old daughter without incident. They help normalize the cabin pressure and to this day, all five of us use them on every flight we take (the youngest is now 6).

Also, Aprica makes a collapseable stroller which is specifically designed to fit in the overhead compartment on an airplane. It fully reclines and is very light. Collapseable with one hand. We used it for all purposes and only needed two for all three children.

Have fun!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Be prepared to feed, change, hold, and entertain him/her for 3 times as long as the flight is supposed to take.

Please, I beg people who travel with infants, get the child a seat and put your car seat in it. The child will be happier and all concerned more comfortable compared with "lap child." But the main point is: it is easy for a child to get hurt in more than the usual turbulence.

Ditto the good stroller. We always used the one that our car seat mounted into and never regretted it. Well, in one way: we would have been better off with a jogging stroller.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:25 am

i travled with our firstborn 6 times between the ages of 4 months and 23 months. i never brought a stroller, just a baby sling. works great for sleeping and nursing in the plane. if you do bring a stroller just bring the umbrella one and pink tag it. for nursing my husband always gave me the window and sat on the aisle so i had privacy. i waited to feed until take off and he usually always slept at that age no problem. long descents can be hard but again i nursed. passy's work for that if he's bottle fed. our child was always happy on our lap but when he got older we always booked a window and aisle where themiddle seat was empty and even changed our seats at check in if that seat had filled. it has worked 5 out of 6 times and we got an empty seat for free. the last flight he was almost weaned so we made a game of rubbing his ears up and down when they hurt and he loved it. i've found traveling with children is much easier than people make it out to be. good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.