Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your baby is in my seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
So...in the span of 30 years covered by that NTSB analysis, they found three deaths and one serious injury to lap-held infants that might have been prevented with the restraints of a carrier in its own seat.

The ball is in your court, safety enhancers. Can you come up with any hard data to support your suppositions? Or are four cases in 30 years sufficient to justify the expense of mandating separate seats and carriers for infants?
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
Which airline offers infant fares that are 20% of the adult fares? On United, it's 50% of the applicable adult fare. I believe that is the deal with most of the major carriers.
I was wrong - it is 50%. Still, I doubt you'd find a $600 2-4 hour flight in coach.
Originally Posted by dhuey
So...in the span of 30 years covered by that NTSB analysis, they found three deaths and one serious injury to lap-held infants that might have been prevented with the restraints of a carrier in its own seat.

The ball is in your court, safety enhancers. Can you come up with any hard data to support your suppositions? Or are four cases in 30 years sufficient to justify the expense of mandating separate seats and carriers for infants?
Are you also against requirements that adults to wear seatbelts?

I agree that buying kids seats shouldn't be mandated by law - people will drive and get themselves and their kids killed/injured even more frequently. People are terrible at judging saftey issues, as evidenced by the recent study which found that about 1,200 people were killed in auto accidents after 9/11 because they were afraid to fly.

On the other hand, if/when I have kids, I'll buy them a seat. The risks are low, but the cost of having my kid killed or severely injured is way too high. I'm willing to pay $100 every now and then as a little bit of extra insurance. Kids cost tens of thousands of dollars a year anyway. If a few extra dollars is too much, then having the kid is probably a bad idea in the first place.

Last edited by Doppy; Mar 24, 2005 at 12:19 pm
Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Doppy
...On the other hand, if/when I have kids, I'll buy them a seat. The risks are low, but the cost of having my kid killed or severely injured is way too high. I'm willing to pay $100 every now and then as a little bit of extra insurance. Kids cost tens of thousands of dollars a year anyway. If a few extra dollars is too much, then having the kid is probably a bad idea in the first place.
Can't argue with that. It sounds like you'll be a great dad.

It will be interesting, though, to see what you do about car selection if/when you have kids. As someone else pointed out, you might very well decide to own a car that is not the safest for a given price level. Such a decision might very well subject your child to far more risk than not having a separate, restrained seat on airplanes.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:02 pm

They just did a study that indicates that mercedes e class cars have the lowest fatality ratings - many so-called family cars (town and country, etc.) have very high fatality ratings. So in my view - you have to realistically weigh risks vs. benefits and buy an e class instead of a seat for your infant!
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having gotten in an accident going about 135MPH on the autobahn in an E class and having everyone walk way fine, in my experience, E classes are pretty safe.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 1:02 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Analise, were you stopped and the fruit inspection stand on I 10 for 1 1/2 hrs or the shoe carnival at the airport?
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Analise
My FT brain wasn't in gear as your advice above makes such good sense. I was at the end of my vacation, my husband was seated at a different middle seat on the plane, and I just wanted to go home. Plus the next nonstop to JFK was six hours later.
2 random middle seats on a transcon? That's what happens when you fly a toy like JetBlue and let elite status lapse on the real airlines!

p.s. I disagree with the "no fly till 6" but that's not really the main topic of this thread. My 4yr old has been silver or gold since 1...and knew to recognize "United" since ~2 !!
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:58 pm

I was wrong - it is 50%. Still, I doubt you'd find a $600 2-4 hour flight in coach.
Don't fly United or Delta much do ya?

On the other hand, if/when I have kids, I'll buy them a seat. The risks are low, but the cost of having my kid killed or severely injured is way too high. I'm willing to pay $100 every now and then as a little bit of extra insurance. Kids cost tens of thousands of dollars a year anyway. If a few extra dollars is too much, then having the kid is probably a bad idea in the first place.
I bought the seat every single time since my daughter turned 1 simply to get my wife and I more room and rest (when the child sleeps she can lie across etc).

Also, she earns miles and elite status this way. HELLO, this is FT people!!!

I always check the car seat in baggage.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:08 am

children flying

I don't understand the notion that it is right or wrong to bring a child on a plane. Whether someone is black or white, tall or short, religious or non-religious, or young or old is no one else's business. Anyone who legally boards a plane and acts legally on the plane is welcome. They are entitled to what they paid for: F, C, Y etc. (Don't go into some denied boarding blah, blah, blah.) Age discrimination is no different than race, religious, or gender discrimination. Leave people to follow their own heart and desires and to live their own lives.

If they stink, do they have to leave? No. (I've been thrown up on by more adults in a plane than by children.) If they talk to their neighbors too much, do they have to leave? No. (I have more adults who want to ask me stupid questions and prying questions than any comments made to me by children.) We don't have to like them and we don't have to encourage them, but they don't have to leave.

The OP and some others seem to think that an airplane is no place for a child. At least until six. My children have seen the following before six: Ireland, South Africa, Germany, Italy, Switz, France, England, Florida, California, New York Macy's Day Parade, their grandparents, their cousins, and more. We have had a blast. Each has been on more than 30 segments before the age of six.

Our Motto: Spend your money and time collecting memories together not stuff. Memories get better with age, stuff rusts.

We proactively spend time prepping our children for the flights. We walk them through what is acceptable social behavior and respect for other people's space. We see it as our responsiblity to guide them and to make sure that others around us don't have to adjust their lives to us. Our approach is not a child-centered approach wherein the child runs the world.

This mother obviously was being selfish. Ignorant and selfish. This woman and her child, has less to do with the child and more to do with her selfishness. She should have given your seat to you without flinching. She probably didn't give you any trouble for the rest of your flight because she was so embarrassed for having been shown to be an attempted thief.

Good to rant, but when you make your plans in life, make room for children. They'll bring you life. :-:

Last edited by tornado; Mar 26, 2005 at 12:12 am
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Don't fly United or Delta much do ya?
Delta's maximum one-way coach fare in the US is $499. To get that $600 ticket, one would have to buy a first class ticket, which comes with a maximum $599 price. But if one is traveling in first class, one can't really complain about an extra ticket being too expensive, IMO.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tornado
If they stink, do they have to leave? No.
Actually, the airlines do reserve the right to not transport someone who doesn't maintain adequate hygiene.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:18 am

Delta's maximum one-way coach fare in the US is $499. To get that $600 ticket, one would have to buy a first class ticket, which comes with a maximum $599 price. But if one is traveling in first class, one can't really complain about an extra ticket being too expensive, IMO.
The discussion of fares refers to RT not one-way travel (if it's not explicitly mentioned, it's always RT, especially in context of leisure travel). $600 isn't common but not outrageous for a Y RT ticket.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was assuming we were talking about a one way because the member said "2 - 4 hours of flying." Two hours RT makes for a pretty short one-way flight; it would be something like PHL-EWR.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:46 pm

Not to continue to be off topic, but I routinely fly DL and pay $500 for LGA-BOS shuttle (45 mins) and just passed on a LGA-STL flight that would have cost $800 rt.
(Booked it LGA-BOS-MCI-LGA for $550....more hassle for me; less money for the airline. Gotta love SimpliFares!)
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I hate to blow #5000 on this but what the heck; I've been waiting for just the right post. Here goes...

Analise, the real problem with this entire thread is that you flew on Delta.

Now for my opinion. Analise was right.
I wonder if the mother was from LA or NY, cause only a New Yorker would try to pull a stunt like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.