Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

The Travel With Children - Jet Lag Concerns Thread [Combined Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Travel With Children - Jet Lag Concerns Thread [Combined Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
My mistake. I must have dreamed up 50+ flights in which nothing eventful happened, and someone mentioned how nicely behaved my kids were.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by sonora
We never flew commercial with the kids when they were little because I felt it would be unconscionably rude to inflict that on other passengers.
Does this mean you practiced air travel behavior with your kids on non-commercial flights?
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by erik123
Does this mean you practiced air travel behavior with your kids on non-commercial flights?
Must be private jets. Now that's avoiding unconscionable rudeness in style!
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:36 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by sonora
I am somewhat in awe after reading this thread. We never flew commercial with the kids when they were little because I felt it would be unconscionably rude to inflict that on other passengers.

But to think, I missed the opportunity to drug them to get them to behave! A little liquid babysitter solves everything, eh?
I must have missed something. Where does anyone say they used drugs to get their children to behave? I believe the usage was to help them sleep once their sleep patterns had been disrupted. Nothing in this thread has focused on their behavior in the air or whether they are annoying others in their travels. Well, at least not until now.

There are plenty of threads about behavior of flying kiddies. This one, however, is about remedies for their jet lag.

Last edited by tazi; Sep 7, 2005 at 11:40 am
Old Sep 7, 2005, 1:16 pm

Programs: United 1K,MM
Driving wife nuts

Originally Posted by carltoncl
We got back on 8/26 from a trip to the east coast of Australia and settled back in to Cleveland (Cleveland is 14 hrs behind Australian east coast time). Our just-turned 2 y.o. is driving my wife nuts because the kid refuses to sleep in her crib anymore, totally out of whack and my wife is desperate for a few Zs.

Literally the day before we left Cleveland the kid would sleep peacefully in her crib, never complained at all - ever. She'd wake up at 7:30am, nap at 12pm for about 2 hrs, then bed at 8:30pm sleeping through the night, very good routine, rarely a problem.

Now she screams like a banshee when we put her to bed, she won't sleep in her crib at all, wakes up screaming in the middle of the night, just awful. The kid gets so tired she just falls asleep instead of helping herself go to sleep like she used to do.

Anyone gone through this before? I am just shocked at how this change occurred - literally - from one day to the next. On the way out to Australia we spent the night in LA and we made the mistake of putting her portable crib in a dark corner of the hotel. I am thinking that, combined with the unfamliar surroundings, the darkness and everything have made her scared of going to sleep. Anyone agree or could offer suggestions?

Is it safe to give melatonin in small amts to toddlers?

Please, any help much appreciated, we're going nuts.
It is tough to get a two year old back to a routine. I have flown many times with my 3 kids to Australia so I know what it is like. My advice is to try getting your daughter back on to a normal routine. Be careful if you use Benadryl as it can have the opposite effect. I would try something natural like a couple of Lavendar drops in the bath tub water before bed. Giving a child a bath before bed can help them fall asleep. Also you can try putting a couple of drops of lavendar oil on a tissue placed by her bed. Someone suggested having her checked to make sure that she does not have an ear infection, or some other illness. I agree that you need to rule out any illness.
Warm Regards
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:11 am

Ever been in one of those barber shops with mirrors on both sides so that you look past your own head and slowly go insane?

Originally Posted by vsobotta
And these comments help the OP how exactly?
Thanks for the memory.

You guys are jumping down somebody's throat for a comment that is not intended as an insult, but is rather a decision that you did not make. I've had that experience with the kid who won't stop slapping the tray up against the back of my chair, hell I've had ADULTS doing it, with these weird doped up parents smiling in the next row over with this parental glow.

Bill Hicks had a rant about the same airplane experience, complete with the guy talking to the mother saying "They're so cute when they're little." then when the kid started messing with the hatch "No, wait, I think we're about to see a little miracle." FOOSH. "You're right! The smaller he gets, the cuter he looks!"

Because I have no idea what I'd do if my kid were like that, it's unacceptable. She can act up, but thankfully she knows when to be golden.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:09 am

So how do you best deal with time zone changes? Got a relatively minor one coming up, east coast to west coast time zone, and then back. Right now my 3 month old is on a very good schedule with eating and sleeping. Do I try to adjust her schedule with the time or let her pretend that the time zone did not change (which will mean she will sleep at 5pm PST and wake up at 4am PST)?
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, Marriott Titanium & LT Platinum, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Smile

Originally Posted by Analise
I am trying to understand why it is only the child's mother who can't sleep, according to the OP's words, due to the suffering of her child.
Stay-at home mom (11 mos and 5 years) of a FTer stepping-in here to post under his name to comment... My husband and I long ago divided responsibilities along gender-role lines for the maximum benefit of our family unit. I consider it my "job" to handle middle-of-the-nite wakings, 2am vomiting, and worse. He needs to get a full night's sleep so he can travel safely (air/auto) and continue to exceed his client's expectations. If he doesn't sleep, our family financial future is in potential jeopardy. If I don't sleep, then it's not fun for me the next day, but it's not a crisis. I just lay-low, keep a quiet "home-day" mostly, and catch-up on sleep later.

Having been a traveling salesperson pre-Mommy, I have the greatest appreciation for the hard work it is to travel so much on business and keep it all together! -KR
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:21 am

Programs: skymiles,
Originally Posted by whlinder
So how do you best deal with time zone changes? Got a relatively minor one coming up, east coast to west coast time zone, and then back. Right now my 3 month old is on a very good schedule with eating and sleeping. Do I try to adjust her schedule with the time or let her pretend that the time zone did not change (which will mean she will sleep at 5pm PST and wake up at 4am PST)?
I think it depends on how long you are gone for - less then a week, I wouldn't change anything. But keep in mind - at 12-14 weeks infants schedules change alot on their own. Some who have been sleeping through the night might start waking alot more and vice versa.

For me, I do not adjust for going (east to west). I do try to keep my 2 year old up until 6 pm (regular bed time is 7 pm) and can ususally do so as we arrive around 4 pm. But he does wake up around 4-5 am the first few mornings.

The pay off comes in the return as they usually sleep late the first few mornings home (9 am wake up instead of 6:30!)

Good luck!
Old May 16, 2006, 8:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Jet Lag and Newborns

Any experience on jet lag with infants going from North America to Europe?... is it the same for babies as adults or do babies take longer to adjust?
Old May 17, 2006, 11:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Silver EK Skywards
When we travelled with our 3-month old from LA to Brazil, we had a 6-hour time difference when we arrived. It took my wife and I about 5 days to be fully adjusted. Our baby however, ate and slept at the same time intervals (every 3 to 4 hours).
Old May 17, 2006, 4:35 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by timfucius
When we travelled with our 3-month old from LA to Brazil, we had a 6-hour time difference when we arrived. It took my wife and I about 5 days to be fully adjusted. Our baby however, ate and slept at the same time intervals (every 3 to 4 hours).
Same with us and our cruise last month with a 5-month old infant. He slept on the transcon flight (as did I) but Mrs. Jonesing can't ever sleep on a plane...jitters. He had a full bottle upon boarding and a half bottle about an hour after we landed. After that he was right back on the same 3-1/2 hour schedule.

We changed time zones twice on the cruise and the extra/lost hour didn't phase him in the slightest.
Old May 17, 2006, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Young children are more governed by their own sleping/eating cysles and by light than anything else. Through three years old jet lag is NOT at all a problem and most adapt in a day.
Old May 19, 2006, 10:04 am

Young infants (under 1 year old) are a breeze. The truly young ones (under 3 months) are up every 2 or 3 hours for a feed anyway, and they'll sleep most of the rest of the time, so jet lag is not even an issue.

Older infants tend to feel it a bit more, but if you schedule an overnight flight and get them to sleep through it, they'll be fairly easy to adapt.

Overall, kids seem to adjust much quicker than adults, especially if you get them out into the fresh air and sunlight. Certainly, in my experience the younger the kid the easier it actually is.
Old May 22, 2006, 12:35 pm

During his first year my son stayed on *his* schedule when we went from NY to the west cost which meant that he would go to bet about 5:30p and woke up about 3am. This was very painful and we did about 3-4 trips that year.

Somewhere around 18 months he was able to adapt to the west coast time after the second night.

Keba

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.