Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

8 Year Old Unaccompanied CDG-MIA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2003, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
My 8 year daughter will be traveling with my wife to Paris, but she needs to return before my wife begins the business portion of her trip. Since my daughter has traveled before by herself [but only on domestic 2-3 hour flights] she is excited to do this return trip to Miami from Paris. Should I have any concern about this flight on Air France. Since we had such little notice, the only Frequent Flyer seats I could get for my daughter on Air France were in First Class on the CDG-MIA nonstop. Am I just being overprotective, or will she be fine on this flight alone.

Much thanks for your input.
Michael
Old Jun 7, 2003, 8:52 pm

Consider the possibility of an unscheduled stop due to mechanical problems. Your daughter could be left on her own for an extended period of time. Suppose she had to be rebooked or, worst case scenario, forced to overnight. I'd pay the fee and not take a chance. Too many things are beyond your control.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 4:39 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I assume you checked with Air France to make sure they will allow an unaccompanied minor in the F cabin. Otherwise, since the flight is nonstop, I wouldnt worry too much. I'm sure it will be a grand adventure for her.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
You might want to check with AF for their procedures for handling delays, re-routings, etc.

Recently, I had to consider ATL-LGW on NWA for my 10 year old because of a conflict with baseball tournament. Basically, once the UAM is checked in, they are the airline's responsiblity no matter what happens until they get to you.

If the flight is changed, etc, they have to shepherd your child and make sure they get on the right plane. If there are overnight delays, they must provide a secure hotel room with a representative to watch your child during the night.

If your daughter has traveled as a UAM before and it's a non-stop flight, that helps. I'd be more careful on outbound US-EU flights flown at night. There have been incidents where young children have been groped, etc. during the night when the crew is not around. Getting her in F would definitely ease fears of that happening.

I'd definitely get the airline to spell out there responsibilities in B&W so there's no doubts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.