Wiki Posts
Search

diaper bag

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2003, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
diaper bag

Does anyone have recommendations for a diaper bag for a 9+ mo old?

We are traveling CAE-EWR-1 day layover-JFK-DUB-EDI with the reverse 1 week later.

I think I need a strong, yet lightweight do-all diaper bag.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 1:24 am

I use a basic knapsack (try LL Bean) with not too many compartments and pockets for travelling. It helps keep your hands free, which is more important than a fancy diaper bag! Plus, it holds lots. I use mesh travel bags (again, LL Bean) to keep items separate but visible - and particularly put diapers, wipes and cream in one, so it can be taken separately to the bathroom for a diaper change. I take the following in the knapsack: small bowl and spoon and any food (our daughter's older than yours, but at that age, I recall always bringing a banana, some Cheerios, a small jar of baby food, a small packet of baby cereal, and also several portions of formula and a bottle of boiled water), pacifiers (at least three), favorite toys (limited to two or three - no small pieces), favorite blanket, complete change of clothing for her (and a set of PJs if it's a long flight), an emergency clean tshirt for me, three or four diapers, a tube of diaper cream, and a small plastic bag with wipes all in a separate bag, but then more diapers (room permitting) at the very bottom of the knapsack, just in case (we've been stuck in airports due to delayed/cancelled flights), and a small bag with a bottle of baby Tylenol, a couple of antiseptic wipes, and travel size bottles of baby lotion and shampoo. Sounds like a lot, but it all fits into a medium size knapsack with a tiny bit of room to spare for your own wallet and travel documents!
Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your reply.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:14 am
BDL

Programs: Delta GM
Take a look at LandsEnd. We've used two different sizes in the past and the larger one (Deluxe), is great for travel.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 10:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
We also use a backpack (daypack type that you would use for carrying books at school) for a diaper bag.

Recently, we have started using a larger backpack (the type for a short 3-4 day overnight camp trip) for carrying the Pupster's assorted needs and junk on the plane. It doubles as a diaper bag for the airport and flight, and we can also carry all of his toys and change of clothes and books and snacks (everything but the kitchen sink it seems) that you will end up needing to make the trip and enjoyable one for your kid. And it allows you to keep your hands free to deal with keeping track of your kid.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 5:21 pm

I use a Nine West overnight bag as a diaper bag. Plenty of interior pockets for my son's junk and mine. In the undercompartment for shoes, I carry diapers and travel sized wipes (the CVS brand fits perfectly). I also pack cloth diapers (for messes) and plastic supermarket bags (in case anything leaks or you need to dispose of a dirty diaper). We are off for London Sunday night...happy travels!
Old Mar 25, 2003, 10:36 am

We use a back pack that has a number of pocket areas. We are able to find what we are looking for quickly and easily. The front is used for wipes and tissues, the second is for a little bottle of water, bibs, and disposable placemats; the third for diapers, diaper wipes, a changing mat, a thin blanket; the fourth for toys! These are all separate partitions/pockets rather than inside one another. It has worked well on our trips. We usually bring another carryone with a change of clothes for her and for us. There is another thread somewhere that discusses toy/distraction recommendations for little ones--may be a bit old for your 9 mos + one, but you might be able to get a little bit from it. It gave us some good ideas!
Have a good trip!
Old Mar 25, 2003, 10:40 am

I forgot to add--with the backpack set-up, you don't have to fight with the straps of a regular diaper bag slipping down your arm--you are free to haul around the car seat/carrier : )
The toy/distraction suggestions were for a two year old, but are listed in this forum--dated 09/02
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:31 am
Original Poster

These are all great suggestions.

Thank you very much!
Old Mar 26, 2003, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I second the Lands End bags. Although our kids are now well past that stage we hauled our Lands End bag back and forth to Europe as well as other places on numerous occasions. They were tough, lightweight and durable.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:59 am

I dunno ... we never have spent a lot of cash on fancy bags that were 'diaper-specific'.

Get a random bag or backpack about large enough to fill a grocery bag, take 1 gallon ziplock bags and compartmentalize with all the things you need, such as diapers/wipes/desitin combo; toys and toys; books and toys, squeakly toys and other things, kiddie snacks; parent snacks (don't forget these!)

You'll be all good from there out...what matters is what is in the bag, not what kind of bag it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.