Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Your child will be safer in your lap

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2002, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

My family flew TACA a few days ago. My kids are 2,4, & 5.

My sister also flew with us. Her kid is 5 months.

We knew that this particular route is never full so my sister did NOT buy a ticket for the infant.

We brought a car seat for MY 2 year old son.

Before takeoff and after we could see that we obviously had empty seats around us, we decidied to give my sons car seat to my sisters infant. My son can easily sit on a regular seat.

One of the flight attendants had a big problem with this. He stated that this was against the rules since the infant had not paid for a seat and he went as far to say that the infant would be SAFER in the mothers arms than in the car seat.

Even though we disagreed with it, we followed his mis-direction.

What would you have done?

Would you have appealed to the captain?

Sometimes, latin american airlines are good at following rules, but not common sense.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 6:05 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
It's not that big of a deal. Besides, I like the "buy one seat, get one seat" rule, just like the subway. Want two seats? Buy two seats.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 9:45 pm

Here's a thread from the UA boards that somewhat answers your question ...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/015813.html

for me, I would have definitely not let the FA win that argument...that kid would have been snuggled nicely in the carseat you loaned them.

G
Old Nov 26, 2002, 3:37 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I'm sorry to hear about your story. I don't recall ever having a problem using an empty seat, in fact the gate agents would try to place me in a seat where there was an adjacent open one so I could bring my carseat on board.

I'm not sure what you could do except call TACA to clarify their policy, and then perhaps lodge a complaint. It seems ridiculous that you couldnt use an already empty seat to do whatever you wanted with it, be it put your child there, or lay down and take a nap.
Old Dec 15, 2002, 6:00 pm
kdp

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
Could the FA's objection be that the childs carseat was only forward facing, and the infant needed to be in a rear-facing seat? This could possibly be a liability issue for the airlines. I'm amazed at the problems I've had bringing on my childseat, even with a paid infant seat.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 6:45 am
Original Poster

The car seat was both front and rear facing.

I talked to a pilot after this incident. He suggested that in the future I elevate this problem to the pilot.

He stated most pilots will always side with the paying customer...especially in a case where overall safety is increased.

Sometimes flight attendants in secondary carriers never get to decide anything, except when in the air--this adds to the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.