Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Tips to keep a 2 year old occupied in flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2002, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I'm planning a vacation with my wife and 2 year old son. He's pretty active and doesn't like to sit still.

My last trip with him 4 months ago (EWR-SFO) was a nightmare, as I had to entertain him constantly.

What are some tips I can try to keep him occupied ?? WE've tried books, legos, etch-a-sketch, stickers...these only manage to keep him occupied for a few mins at a time.

Any advice appreciated.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 5:50 pm

My tip is to alternate with your wife and have one hour for yourself - another wih your kid. At least - if its a long trip - you have something to look forward to.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 6:53 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Change planes frequently (e.g., EWR-ORD-DEN-SFO instead of non-stop). I'm not kidding, that is exactly what I do. The kids get tired pretty quickly that way. Also, when changing planes in ORD and DEN, I take the kids to the play areas during a two hour layover (terminal 2 in ORD, and upstairs in DEN).
Old Sep 27, 2002, 7:13 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
BandAids.

I'm serious. The very best toy for long car trips was a box of BandAids which they then stuck to everything in sight. Unlike stickers, they're easy to remove. You'll want a very, very tolerant row-mate though, you finds the view of the Grand Canyon through a field of BandAids aesthetic.

On the minus side, too, there is lots of trash from BandAids, so maybe this really is a better car entertainer than airplane one
Old Sep 28, 2002, 3:11 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

A backpack full of new toys that your kid has never seen before. Bring them out one at a time and wait until the attention span for the new toy fades before bringing out the next one. My son loves to be read to so we always bring along plenty of books.

If you're flying on a twin aisle plane, feel free to go for an extended walk around and around!

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop --- "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)
Old Oct 1, 2002, 9:02 pm

Rent a DVD player from Inflight.

They have a few dvd's that you can rent, though they are often out of the Teletubbies which is a pretty good one as it is 90+ minutes long.

We went to Target and bought a few dvd's to use on the trip, which we still have.

I would estimate that these players 'bought' us 45 minutes per flight per child (2-year old twins) of quiet time. Well worth the $20 investment per kid.

Email me off line if you have other questions.

Fly Well,
Greg
Old Oct 1, 2002, 9:04 pm

Also concur with JS sorry to have missed this, but the conection through DEN with the Playlands upstairs is well worth the delay. Except it is near the smoking place which is a little bothersome, but the kids love to ape around there. Well, actually, they like the Herman Miller Aeron Chairs and phones that are part of the business center almost as much as the playland! Go figger!?!
Old Oct 3, 2002, 12:39 am

I would recommend you don't sit near your wife that way you split time entertaining him instead of both going crazy
Old Oct 3, 2002, 8:40 pm

MileageAddict has it absolutely right, it is a holding action.

Give them one toy at a time and wait until they absolutely can not stand one more second of playing with that toy (basically when every possible option of you entertaining the child with the toy has been exhausted) then go as long as they can stand with no toy or extrabneous activity apparatus. When they are about to star really fussing bring out the next toy with lots of flourish and excitment, as though it is just the most interesting thing in the whole world (even if it is just a crayon and a peice of paper).

Once all toys activities are exhausted and little darling will still not sleep, bring out the big guns:finger puppets. These can last a particularly long time especialluy if you proceed to act out their favorite movie with them. Jumanji with a penguin, polar bear, and moose finger puppet can be a rather interesting streach, just hit the major features (monkeys on motorbike, big plant, croc, elephanst and rhino's etc) so that they can recognize the movie.

Lot of breaks for snacks (a hungry child will NEVER go to sleep, though they may pass out from hunger eventually).

Make sure they are comfortably warm as a cold child will Never go to sleep.

Most important of all, get a really really good nights sleep before the flight as you are going to need it to keep up the marathon of entertainment that a child might require, especially on a long transpacific flight.

Good luck, it is do able, I have been doing it alone with my now three year sold since she was 6 months. Never had a bad flight yet.

Oh, FYI a cup ogf ice can be great fun!

Just reread your initial post, you will pretty much have to entertain them constantly until they go to sleep or for the 10 minutes that inflight entertainment might hold their interest if available. If you try and have them amusethemselves and they bore of doing so you will pay dearly for your moments of respite. Best policy is to keep them engaged until they go to sleep. It can actually be fun if you really get in to it.

[This message has been edited by Mvic (edited 10-03-2002).]
Old Oct 4, 2002, 8:52 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
All the replies above are good ideas, especially the rental DVD player. Don't forget that most airlines have "kiddie packs," which vary a lot. (Hopefully these haven't gone the way of many other air amenities.) Ask the FAs for their children's items, which can be a package of coloring books, toys, etc. Be careful with these items, since your child is under the age of 3. Good luck with your trip(s).
Old Oct 4, 2002, 9:31 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dianne47:
All the replies above are good ideas, especially the rental DVD player. Don't forget that most airlines have "kiddie packs," which vary a lot. </font>
I have not seen a kiddie pack on UAL in over a year....FYI -
Old Oct 5, 2002, 7:29 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Oh yeah, one more tip! NEVER bring toys on wheels. They will roll off the meal tray and you will never find them again. Of course, this particular Hot Wheel/Matchbox will be your child's favorite and they will freak out and cry until someone from row 26 (about 20 rows back) finds it and returns it to your child.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop --- "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)
Old Oct 6, 2002, 6:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Also, order your child a kids meal before departure. Mine enjoyed the special pizza he got while the rest of us only had the regular stuff.

Adding to the backpack of toys stuff...we found electronic games with lots of flashing lights and buttons good, but choose one with a volume control or sound off switch. Also, the kids car seat is a good thing to have. Make sure it's one that's easy for parents to carry. The child will feel comfortable in his seat and there's less wiggle room. We have one from Century (I believe) that's light enough to be carried in one hand and has a fairly slim, high-backed profile. Do check out the airlines policy on child seats beforehand.
Old Oct 6, 2002, 12:42 pm

Sit and stroll, car seat and flight seat and stroller all in one. Excellent product, unfortunately my child grew out of it too early.

http://www.sitnstroll.com/sit_n_stroll_pictures.htm
Old Oct 6, 2002, 7:27 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Here's some other toy ideas beyond the DVD idea (highly recommended if your kid is into any shows) that work on my child:

*Sticker books (Costco sells big thick ones for less than $10).
*Magnadoodle (mine is the one with a lot of parts, which is kinda tough on a plane, but she loves it).
*Try some of the very basic "workbooks" available at Target, etc. You have to help them through it, but mine loved the challenge. Coloring/drawing is ok but usually isn't that interesting and involves using every single marker/crayon.
*Comfort items from home (blankie, favorite bed-time toy). Mine loves having them handy at times even if she isn't going to sleep.
*A few new books to read if yours likes story time.
*A few new small toys (like the stuff handed out in happy meals). New is good; time to assemble is entertaining; and if it gets lost in the seats it isn't the tragedy of losing the favorite toy.
*Food. Pack some treats to supplement the plane food (if any). Toddlers take forever to eat, and would you rather have a happy kid, or hold the line on junk food?
*Get up and walk up and down the aisle when the food/beverage carts aren't out.

I don't agree with the split-em-up approach; usually my spouse and I alternate--one of us is in the seat adjacent to the toddler, and has the full-time job of keeping the little one entertained. The other parent is "support" and is responsible for getting all the junk in and out of the bags for the entertaining parent. Nobody gets to "relax and enjoy the flight"--our job is to keep our little one entertained so others have a fighting chance...

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.