Search

Travel Immunizations for kids

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2002, 1:51 pm
kdp
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
Travel Immunizations for kids

I'm wondering if anyone has taken their youngsters abroad where additional immunizations & pills are necessary. My husband is going to Kenya & Tanzania in November for 2 months, and we had assumed that I would meet him with the two kids, who will be 5 years and 12 months at the time. We are now feeling reluctant, especially about giving them anti-malarials. Does anyone have any experience with this??? Thanks, Kim
Old Sep 9, 2002, 3:16 pm

There is a great reference online at the US Centers for Disease control:

http://www.cdc.gov/travel

Tanzania looks like it is a hotbed for Cholera and meningococcal disease. Looks like you and your kids will need supplemental vaccinations for:

1) cholera
2) meningococcal quadrivalent vaccine (A, C, Y, W-135)
3) Yellow fever (You need to get a special certificate from your doctor for this)
4) Hepatitis A series
5) Hepatitis B series
6) Rabies vaccine (if u will be around wild animals)
7) Typhoid
8) Malaria
9) Tetanus booster (if you haven't had one within the last 10 years)

For details on malaria prophylaxis see here: http://www.cdc.gov/travel/malariadrugs.htm

From the Lariam website (www.lariam.com) it appears that the prophylactic dose for children has not been clearly established. Currently they recommend 3-5 mg/kg once weekly.

Here are some general advice on travel to east africa on the CDC website. Good luck!
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/eafrica.htm

My suggestion would be to visit a travel clinic in your area. Most university hospitals should have one...if not find a good infectious disease doctor who should be able to provide you good care.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 3:50 pm

My parents would have me vaccinated for 1), 3), 8) and 9) when I travelled to Asia as a young child in the 70's and 80's, but I never had to take pills while on site.

All I remember was being unable to walk for a day after those painful injections!

Tanzania today is quite certainly a higher risk country than the non-Japanese Asian countries were then. I would have some reservations about exposing a 12 month old baby to such an unusual environment.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 4:44 pm

Not trying to be flip here but there are allot of kids in those countries who are perfectly healthy. If we worry about every possible bad outcome we wouldn't go anywhere. Sensible precautions should be taken but don't stress yourself out of what might be a very rewarding experience.

I would ask myself first if I would be able to handel the culture shock and the stress of dealing with 2 children, one of which is so young on an extended trip away from home. Some people have no problem with a trip like that with their childen no matter how young(and I have allot of admmiration for them), others do. Just depends on what type of person you are and what parenting style you have. Personally I would wait until they were older to go, but that is just me.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 6:33 am

anti-malarials are a must since this can be life threatening for children (and adults) -larium is not advised for small kids though some doctors prescribe it, but cholorquine/paludrine can be used and is reasonably effective. Be sure to take all recommended vaccines because medical facilities in Tanzania are limited. There is an international clinic in Dar es Salaam that has expat doctors - near the international school - good to remmeber in case of emergency.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 9:16 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by erik123:
...but cholorquine/paludrine can be used and is reasonably effective.</font>
I disagree here. Chloroquine resistance amongst mosquitos is on the rise, and a particular problem in Tanzania. I highly suggest that you do NOT take chloroquine as it will probably not work if you get bit by an infected mosquito.

For more info see the CDC page on Malaria in east africa:

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/eafrica.htm
Old Sep 10, 2002, 2:47 pm

This is true - but under-3 kids should probably not be prescribed lariam because of serious side-effects. - so it's the next best thing.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Most major teaching hospitals have a travel clinic with the most up-to-date CDC recommendations. Remember that travel vaccinations are almost NEVER covered by insurance.

------------------
Friends don't let friends fly RJ's
I am not real smart, but I can lift heavy things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.