Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Preventing Child Abduction: Passport cancellation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum

Hello Flyertalk members. I truly apologize in advance if this post in any ways violates the forum rules regarding posting content.

I’m going through a very contentious divorce with my wife who is a non-U.S. citizen. In the middle of the dispute is our 2-year-old child, who is currently physically present in the U.S. (State of California). My wife is in possession of our son’s U.S. passport and I have valid concerns that she will attempt to leave the United States with our son and return to her home country which does not recognize the Hague Convention Treaty regarding child abductions. My only questions is this: will reporting my son’s passport lost or stolen ensure that he would not be able to board an international flight from the U.S.? Obviously the passport is not truly lost; my wife is in possession and could easily show up at an airport with that and other support documents indicating she is the mother and (one of two) current guardians of the child. The legal advice I’ve received is unsure on this matter so I was hoping that Flyertalk and it’s members may have some suggestions.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 7:19 am

You should definitely talk to your lawyer, but I think you probably need a court order (and you may need more than just "she's from another country" as justification for the court order). The CBP page on the subject implies that CBP and the Dept of State can't do much without a court order, so even if you reported it lost, I'm not sure it gets canceled, and I'm not sure she'd be prevented from getting a replacement unless a court order is in place to stop it.
SPN Lifer and Phillbsb1979 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by themicah
You should definitely talk to your lawyer, but I think you probably need a court order (and you may need more than just "she's from another country" as justification for the court order). The CBP page on the subject implies that CBP and the Dept of State can't do much without a court order, so even if you reported it lost, I'm not sure it gets canceled, and I'm not sure she'd be prevented from getting a replacement unless a court order is in place to stop it.
Thank you for your response and the guidelines for the CBP page
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Voldoo
Hello Flyertalk members. I truly apologize in advance if this post in any ways violates the forum rules regarding posting content.

I’m going through a very contentious divorce with my wife who is a non-U.S. citizen. In the middle of the dispute is our 2-year-old child, who is currently physically present in the U.S. (State of California). My wife is in possession of our son’s U.S. passport and I have valid concerns that she will attempt to leave the United States with our son and return to her home country which does not recognize the Hague Convention Treaty regarding child abductions. My only questions is this: will reporting my son’s passport lost or stolen ensure that he would not be able to board an international flight from the U.S.? Obviously the passport is not truly lost; my wife is in possession and could easily show up at an airport with that and other support documents indicating she is the mother and (one of two) current guardians of the child. The legal advice I’ve received is unsure on this matter so I was hoping that Flyertalk and it’s members may have some suggestions.

It's not uncommon for a court to order that a child who is the subject of a custody battle can not be taken out of the country. Discuss it with your lawyer, but you should file ASAP with the court asking for such an order, and that the other parent be required to surrender the child's passport to the court to prevent the child from being taken out of the country unlawfully.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 9:01 am

Programs: Travel Agent for Four Seasons Preferred program, Marriott Stars, Hyatt Prive, Rosewood Elite
Originally Posted by Voldoo

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
It's not uncommon for a court to order that a child who is the subject of a custody battle can not be taken out of the country. Discuss it with your lawyer, but you should file ASAP with the court asking for such an order, and that the other parent be required to surrender the child's passport to the court to prevent the child from being taken out of the country unlawfully.
As mentioned, ask your attorney about obtaining a temporary restraining order that could prevent your wife from leaving the country with your son until custody has been legally resolved.If the legal advice supports it, you may consider alerting the U.S. Department of State about your concerns. They handle cases of passport misuse and can provide specific guidance. Ensure that you have all legal documents, communications, and advice well-documented. This could be crucial in any legal proceedings.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:42 am

Also take into account if your kid has the nationality of your soon to be ex-wife's country there may be a 2nd set of travel documents in play. I would move fast as there is an entire underground support network for mother's in this situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.