Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with 3 kids

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:54 pm

snacks for kids

If you plan to go camping as well with the kids, you can read this article for camping snacks.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:05 pm

Programs: Uh, I think I got an extra packet of peanuts once.
What would concern me further is how to handle three small children at once if there is an emergency on the plane. Getting (and KEEPING) oxygen masks on three children, trying to drag three children through a smoky plane, getting three children down a slide.......
Old May 21, 2023, 11:29 pm

I agree with everybody here. Get an adult (your mom or anyone close to you) to accompany you and help you with the kids. 2 and 4 years old kids still need your full attention to keep them safe on your travel.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
I found it challenging traveling with just my two, and they were nearly four years apart, but I don't think your trip is impossible. I believe you should make it if you want to, but you'll want to organize like a general.

Contact the airline in advance. Ask for special assistance. Use curbside check in if possible. Carry no more than you require for the flight, possibly shipping stuff ahead to your friend (or making sure you could borrow what's absolutely necessary if your bags get misdirected.) If an airport has one of those paid VIP services, book it. Don't try to economize by booking a lap infant; buy a seat for every one of you. The best thing about the car seat on the plane was a safe place to set down the baby.

First thing I realized as a traveling parent: ALWAYS pay for direct (nonstop) flights; connections are too risky. I stopped shopping by price after having kids and only flew if I could go direct until they were out of child safety seats.

Second: I never fly without a car seat for each kid who needs one. If I did get diverted, I need to KNOW I can safely leave any airport. I suggest you check out the Ride Safer Travel Vest (a booster alternative) for the eldest. https://ridesafertravelvest.com/ (It's a vest, like the CARES, but only for automobile use, not in flight. Though FAQ now says: "XS (22-40 pound) size vest may be FAA approved soon") That said, on arrival, if your friend has extra boosters, a real booster made my short kids happier in cars because they could see better out the windows, but that's only for after arrival. What if your flight got diverted? I needed to know I could get to a hotel if that rare thing occurred. (My mom got diverted to Montana once on a nonstop PDX-BOS.)

Third: When I had 18-20 (ish) month old toddlers, I took the train instead of flying. It costs more, it isn't luxury, but, at that age, ALL my kids wanted to do was move around. Those were our only awful flights, and my kids went back and forth between where I grew up (Pacific NW) and where we live (New England) at least twice a year from infancy. A family bedroom on Amtrak might just be worth it for the trip you are talking about, at least one way. Between Chicago and California, you won't have to leave the train, but walking up and down the rows of cars is normal and my kids loved it.

Fourth: I absolutely did buy plane tickets for people to fly with me at least a few times when my kids were little. This was usually my mom, who liked to travel but didn't like to spend her own money for tickets, but was a teen cousin at least once. If you can afford to pay for help, I'd think this would be the time to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.