Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Device to keep lap child safe from turbulence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC

Has anyone ever used something like Lapkidz for their lap child on a flight? Looks good in theory but I feel like if it was a magic pill you'd hear more about it. I know the AAP recommendation on this topic but was curious if there are reviews from actual users. I actually worry it could cause more injuries than it prevents. Thoughts?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Marko123
Has anyone ever used something like Lapkidz for their lap child on a flight? Looks good in theory but I feel like if it was a magic pill you'd hear more about it. I know the AAP recommendation on this topic but was curious if there are reviews from actual users. I actually worry it could cause more injuries than it prevents. Thoughts?

I believe the studies done have shown that these type restrain systems are mote likely to cause serious injuries to the infant. However they prevent the infant from becoming a projectile and harming others.

Just be aware that their website says the FAA "permits" it's use. That does not mean the FAA recommends or endorses the use. Actually the FAA does not allow his during take-off, landing, or on any surface. So it can be only used during flight.

Here is what the FAA says. https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...AC_120-87C.pdf

c. CRS Restrictions. No aircraft operator may permit a child to occupy a booster-type, vest-type, harness-type, or lap-held CRS during takeoff, landing, and movement on the surface, except when the CRS has been approved by the FAA through a TC, STC, TSO, under § 21.305(d) (2010 ed.), or under § 21.8(d). Booster-type, vest-type, and harness-type CRSs approved by the FAA through a TC, STC, TSO, under § 21.305(d) (2010 ed.), or under § 21.8(d), may be used during all phases of flight.

d. Prohibition. Except for ACSDs approved by the FAA through a TC, STC, TSO, under § 21.305(d) (2010 ed.), or § 21.8(d), the following CRSs continue to be prohibited for use during ground movement, takeoff, and landing: • Lap-held child restraint (commonly referred to as a belly belt); • Vest- and harness-type devices that attach the child to the parent, the parent’s restraint system, or to the aircraft seatbelt; and • Booster-type child restraints (even though they may bear appropriate labels showing that they meet applicable UN standards or are approved by a foreign government).

Last edited by MoreMilesPlease; Jan 30, 2020 at 9:30 am
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Thanks for the details. I know when we've used the bjorn before, the FA said to take him out of it during taxi, takoff, and landing so I assumed this falls in the same category as that.

The studies you mention speak to my main fear on this so I most likely will not be purchasing. A for effort though, maybe someday something like this will catch on.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:39 am

My understanding is that anything that would secure a lap infant would likely cause the lap infant to be injured by the adult they are attached to. A purchased airplane seat with a car seat/child restraint is really the only way to protect both the infant and the passengers around them.
nancypants, Segments and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Marko123
Thanks for the details. I know when we've used the bjorn before, the FA said to take him out of it during taxi, takoff, and landing so I assumed this falls in the same category as that.

The studies you mention speak to my main fear on this so I most likely will not be purchasing. A for effort though, maybe someday something like this will catch on.

Yes, the only FAA approved restraint ( other than a "car" seat") is the C.A.R.E.S. harness. It is referenced in the two links I posted.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
The CARES is great and easy to use and take with
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Having owned more than my fair share of CARES, it's to be noted that they won't work (as designed to work) in many business and first class seats. Economy class is their better domain.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Having owned more than my fair share of CARES, it's to be noted that they won't work (as designed to work) in many business and first class seats. Economy class is their better domain.
GU you are the guy always against car seats. I have nevef seen a CARE that does not work in Delta or AA first class or Delta One. Chatted with a stew this am and she agrees
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:44 am
Suspended

I’m not against car seats, so the lie won’t fly.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I’m not against car seats, so the lie won’t fly.
Sorry then, but every post I have read from you is negative re them. Must have missed the positive ones
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by knownothing
Sorry then, but every post I have read from you is negative re them. Must have missed the positive ones
As the best judge of my posts and their meaning, I know for a fact that your above claim about my posts is a false representation of my words. But whatever with those “alternative facts” and empty “apologies”.

CARES doesn’t work on all the plane seats on all common carriers and CARES-maker even knows that: “ If you will be flying on an airline with extra large seats or a sleeper seat, you may want to check with the airline to see if CARES will fit.

“CARES should not be used on a seat equipped with an airbag.”
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Once again GU you go negative. FAA rules require that if an approved car seat doesn’t fit, the airline has the “responsibility to accommodate the CRS in another seat in the same class of service.”
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by knownothing
Once again GU you go negative. FAA rules require that if an approved car seat doesn’t fit, the airline has the “responsibility to accommodate the CRS in another seat in the same class of service.”
Utterly meaningless as it's not as though there are carriers which have Y seats in the F or J cabin.

Bottom line is that if you care about safety, the infant goes in an approved car seat attached to his own seat. The middle ground is using the next most effective restraint, e.g. your arms. The worst is anything which attaches the kid to your body.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Utterly meaningless as it's not as though there are carriers which have Y seats in the F or J cabin.

Bottom line is that if you care about safety, the infant goes in an approved car seat attached to his own seat. The middle ground is using the next most effective restraint, e.g. your arms. The worst is anything which attaches the kid to your body.
well we agree on the first part but not the middle ground on. In many's opinion, it is child abuse to hold the kid in your la your lap. Enought said
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:59 am

Lapkidz works pretty well.
Marko123 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.