Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Long-haul, long weekend with 3 year old?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

What are folks view on join long-haul (West Coast US to Europe or Japan) for a long weekend with a three year old? I have to travel for work and want to bring my daughter along for a five or six day (including travel) trip. She is generally a good traveller, but has never done a long-haul for such a short trip. Am I crazy for considering it?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by alf0906
What are folks view on join long-haul (West Coast US to Europe or Japan) for a long weekend with a three year old? I have to travel for work and want to bring my daughter along for a five or six day (including travel) trip. She is generally a good traveller, but has never done a long-haul for such a short trip. Am I crazy for considering it?
IMO that's a high speed megatantrum waiting to happen. Her body clock and her understanding of time can't handle that big a jump and return without big problems. My experience with taking a 3 yr old SFO - Europe was it took at least 72 hours for him to adjust, and the first 2 days he was dragging, not happy.

I guess to sum up I'd say that long-haul for a long weekend is not fair to the child.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by alf0906
If I was forced to take a 3-year-old child on some kind of long-haul international trip for 5-6 days (inclusive of the flight travel dates) with a 3-year old child, I would look at something that isn't more than 1-3 hour timezones away. US-Argentina/Brazil/Chile, for example.

SFO/LAX/SAN-EU/Asia-SFO/LAX/SAN for five or six days of travel? Sounds miserable for the child -- and perhaps even miserable for you if you're not traveling with another caretaker for the child .... even if the child does fine and can sleep whereever/whenever without adjusting.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:30 am

What's the purpose of bringing her? She's not going to remember the trip so no need for that reason. But if there is a pressing need I don't see an issue if you can adjust your work/sleep schedule and have some flexibility (or full time help).
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It will be an adventure, certainly. Can you turn into a game for them?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Seconded that it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I took my oldest (a very secure and seasoned traveler now at age 10) to Chile from LA when she was about to turn 3, and it was merely fine. I wanted to visit some old friends from college, which I got to do, but we couldn't reasonably do the type of adventure stuff the country is known for, and she was off-kilter for virtually the entire 2 week trip. Don't think she took one proper, long nap the entire time. She doesn't remember any of it. We finally went back last summer, at age 9, for skiing near Santiago and adventure travel in the north, and it was one of the best (if not *the* best) trips of my well-traveled life. We'll remember it forever. I'd say, do yourself both a favor and leave the kid at home. The opportunities will still be there when they're a little older.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by erik123
What's the purpose of bringing her? She's not going to remember the trip so no need for that reason. But if there is a pressing need I don't see an issue if you can adjust your work/sleep schedule and have some flexibility (or full time help).
Have you traveled longhaul with a toddler? Most of them don't do well 8 hour time shifts in the short run.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:00 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Have you traveled longhaul with a toddler? Most of them don't do well 8 hour time shifts in the short run.
I'm likely in the top 0.01%.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:25 pm

I'm likely in the top 0.01%.
Meaning what? You've traveled only with the perfect toddler?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Meaning what? You've traveled only with the perfect toddler?
Meaning the person has travelled with a toddler in their care on long-haul flights even more than 99.98% of people, perhaps even more than 99% of FTers.

And I agree with erik123.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Meaning the person has travelled with a toddler in their care on long-haul flights even more than 99.98% of people, perhaps even more than 99% of FTers.

And I agree with erik123.
I'm certain erik123 is capable of speaking for him/herself.

But as you've offered an opinion, tell the rest of us exactly how many times you personally have traveled longhaul with a toddler for whom you had sole responsibility, not a situation that you have observed secondhand and then made assumptions regarding based on part-time observation of the toddler.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:31 am
Suspended

I'm certain erik123 is capable of speaking for him/herself.

But as you've offered an opinion, tell the rest of us exactly how many times you personally have traveled longhaul with a toddler for whom you had sole responsibility, not a situation that you have observed secondhand and then made assumptions regarding based on part-time observation of the toddler.
I have zero doubt that I have plenty of personal experience with such travels, and CBP too has no such doubt about me.

I am not giving you a count like that, but I’m pretty sure that I am one of the most informed people on these parts when it comes the historical, practical functioning of actual issuance and use of lap child tickets using miles and how long-haul international travel goes for adults traveling in a private, non-commercial capacity with primary/sole responsibility of infants and toddlers on trips that involve long-haul flights. There are reasons erik123 and I have quite the history on discussing such topics, but we have no prior history discussing the mating-habits of porcupines and hedgehogs in captivity.

I have enough issues with trying to count my large number of flight trips for various purposes, so your begging for an exact count (well above zero ) just isn’t going to be a priority any time soon.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 24, 2018 at 4:41 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:35 pm

I am also well above zero.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:57 pm
Suspended

I am also well above zero.
“Have you traveled longhaul with a toddler?” The answer: “well above zero” times. But if I want to play porcupine or hedgehog, maybe I’ll sort of say that’s not good enough or try to re-condition the question or ask a different one to try to see how I can shut down or pigeon hole a target. Fortunately, some here can’t be stuffed into a pigeon hole, and the community benefits from the knowledge shared by those who don’t fit into oversimplified categories and can’t be shot down so easily.

Silence is golden” — spokesperson for the sub-1% or for the less experienced in these matters?

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:06 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doable but you should fully expect waking up at 2-3 am. Not a big deal on a leisure trip and not a problem for the kid but a major pain if you still have to go to work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.