Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

freaking out about upcoming flight with baby and toddler alone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

freaking out about upcoming flight with baby and toddler alone

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Go the stroller route. I used a car set in a backpack carrier and a messanger style bag for diapers, etc. The 2 yo can carry a little backpack with toys and snacks. Hook the extra carseat on the stroller and push the 10mo. I'm a single mom and travel alone all the time. I also HATE screen time but allow the little to play with an old iphone that has an app called Volt (it makes the phone vibrate and shows bright colors) and look at pictures. Get a set of headphones for the 2yo and allow the screen time on the plane. I have my daughter convince that her iphone only works on trips so it helps limit the screen time and make it special.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Diapre
You can use your diaper for baby when you give your baby with a baby while you are on the flight, so that you can not have problems with your baby, you can take 2 extra. If there is a problem, let's wear new ones.
I’m not quite sure what you're saying in the first sentence.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Sending lots of sympathy. We have only one child so not experienced in this situation but I did do a transatlantic flight on my own with a screaming overtired toddler for five hours

But I do wonder whether two car seats is overkill. Older toddler could go in a CARES harness which will mean you won't need a second car seat. If it's not cost prohibitive for you and you nonetheless need a car seat for the toddler at destination look into using the ImmiGO which folds up very small (size of a largeish doctor's bag) and can be carried on and put in an overhead bin if necessary. ImmiGO costs $200 or so. And only fits into cars which have LATCH or isofix connectors.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Salut. I agree with you. As long as they are belted into something they are comfortable on the airplande
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by salut0
Sending lots of sympathy.
To the OP? Or to everybody else on the flight?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Starwood
update

Originally Posted by swise
My suggestion:

Skip the luggage cart. It's one extra piece of gear you have to carry and stash away. It requires two hands to manipulate. Instead, use a stroller. You can dump it at the end of the jetway, and it's super easy to open and close.

Get two Cosco Sceneras. They nest together. You can wrap a bungie around them to keep them together. They're lightweight and easy to install.

You can use the tether strap to hang the Sceneras from the handle of the stroller. Put the big kid in the stroller.

Wear the little kid in a carrier on your front. You'll even be able to keep the little in the carrier through security. Wear a backpack on your back.

When you get to security, stroller goes on the belt first, then backpack, then car seats. (The Sceneras fit through the x-ray tunnel. You may need to un-bungie them and send them through one at a time.) Your big kid will go through the metal detector first, then you, with the little one strapped in the carrier. Take the stroller off the belt first, put the big kid in it immediately. Retrieve your backpack, then get the car seats and re-hang them on the stroller. Backpack can hang on the stroller, too, if it's easier (and not too heavy).

When you get to the gate, get a gate check tag for the stroller (and possibly one of the car seats, if there is no seat available) from the gate agent at the counter. Ask if families with small kids can pre-board.

When boarding, keep the big kid in the stroller down the jetway, if you'd like. Then they jump out, take Sceneras off the handle, collapse the stroller, leave for the ground crew. Big kid walks ahead with strict instructions to keep walking forward until you say Red Light. Hold the Sceneras up high above the seats (maybe on/over your head). This is the hard part. When you get to your row, have the big kid wait in the seats opposite the aisle to yours if possible. Plop the car seat down in the window seat (and middle seat, if you have an open seat for the baby). Take the baby off and sit them in a seat while you secure the sceneras. Everybody sits in their respective seats!

Get booze.

Getting off: Wait until the end. It'll take a while for your stroller to come out anyway. Then do everything in reverse.

eta... Here's a picture of our setup when we were in this stage. These seats are actually bigger than the Sceneras. We had graduated to bigger seats by then. But it's the same idea.

OP here. This above is what I should have done!! My flight last November was terrible, definitely one of the worst. Just for the sake of helping some other parent, do not bring a heavy car seat on board. It is a nightmare. Just pay the $40 for the cosco scenera. On the return flight I actually had an extra seat for my infant but no car seat. I had another flight with just me and the 2 toddlers again in March and I purchased two Cosco Scenera car seats and nested them together and clipped them to the stroller. I used a double stroller and gate checked it. It was amazing, I left them in the stroller on the jet bridge (I asked an employee to watch them) while I went on and installed the car seats. Then I brought them on and got them settled into their car seats and fed them gold fish one by one. Then they fell asleep. It was magical. My next flight with them I think I will do the same with the two Cosco car seats but maybe just bring a single stroller. My older one will be just about 3 and I might put a leash on her because she is a runner. I've never done that before but I think it would give me peace of mind.
Jaimito Cartero and tcl like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Great post. I used a Swedish front baby carrier and later (until she walked well) in a back pack. Went all over the world with just the two of us (will admit prior to 9/11) and had no problems anywhere. When I had two kids, used a folding double stroller and the pack pack for the smaller one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.