Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Minor crossing to Canada without a passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP

Can someone confirm that minors may travel by land to Canada with only a US birth certificate and no passport? We just went to renew my oldest's passport on Saturday and had to surrender it, and the agent at the passport office there said we'd still be able to travel to Canada with her with only her birth certificate (but this only applies to minors). Is this correct? If we were to go to Canada between now and when we get the new passport, it would be with both parents, and both of our names are on her birth certificate. My oldest also has a Nexus card with a last name matching dad's. I feel like I'm getting conflicting information on this from internet searches....
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:04 pm

That's correct, birth certificates are all that's necessary for minors. We did this last year with our 3 year old, there were no issues using only a birth certificate when entering or leaving Canada.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
That's correct, birth certificates are all that's necessary for minors. We did this last year with our 3 year old, there were no issues using only a birth certificate when entering or leaving Canada.
Great! Thanks for chiming in, as someone who's actually done it recently. I guess it also means we can take kiddo #3 to Canada this summer as soon as we have his BC and dont have to wait the additional time to get the passport issued.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:47 am

There will be no problem if you have the birth certificate of your minor, they will easily let you pass. And if you want to make a new passport for your child very quick you can visit Passports Online They will make it very quick and then you can travel without any tension or worry.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
From the Canada border website

Minor children 15 and under travelling by land or by sea may enter Canada with a valid passport or their U.S. or Canadian birth certificate.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by arlenramos
There will be no problem if you have the birth certificate of your minor, they will easily let you pass. And if you want to make a new passport for your child very quick you can visit Passports Online They will make it very quick and then you can travel without any tension or worry.
I would be real interested in hearing if someone actually used that site to get a child's passport because the info on it does not match my experiences with getting a passport for my son, who currently is on his 4th passport as a minor. In other words, been through that process several times and found that the State Department is not very flexible about what documents they accept...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.