Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Cosco Scenera - Will It Really Fit Rear Facing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cosco Scenera - Will It Really Fit Rear Facing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Weird, I didn't underline anything! How did that happen??

It's also not misleading. Strange thing to say.
Uh, it happened because azepine00 underlined it. They state:
In another amusing development my post was edited by moderator of this forum (hopefully by mistake) with underlined part added.

What a crazy thread this has become.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by azepine00
Can you please remove reference to my post or at least my handle - I did not write that part - see above.
Done.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:39 am

"22 lb weight limit"?
So 21.5 lb is ok but 22.5 will lead to catastrophic failure?

also is there a reference for this rather bold (and imho misleading) statement?

The question to ask is why would you want a 22lbs forward facing when rear-facing is so much safer and comfortable?

Most babies outgrow car seats by height, not weight. Mine were well under the weight limit when they outgrew all of theirs'. Babies are usually way too small for the car seat by the time they get to the weight limit and often, those infant-bucket styled seats are uncomfortable at that age. They're cramped and want to sit up more. If there's a lot of driving at the destination, then a convertible makes much more sense.

Every single time I browse through this sub forum and the topic of car seats come up, you always seem to chime in with some kind of negative comment about car seats on plane.

Please stop.

And in order for a car seat to be FMVS2133 compliant, it must abide by the weight limits set forth by the NHTSA. Various test dummies are used of various sizes and weights. If you are interested, there is a lot of information available online. A company is certainly not going to go ahead and say it's okay to go over weight limits and then not be FMVS compliant.

To the OP, yes, it will fit rear facing, but because of space constraints and recline ability, it will fit far more upright than in a car.

I'm not fond of the Scenera. The only good thing is the weight. You will more than likely need either a towel or pool noodle to achieve the proper recline in your vehicle since Dorel does not allow a range of accepted recline. The Scenera must be reclined so that the recline line is level with the ground.

You do not mention how big your child and whether your Scenera will be used regularly after this trip.

My favorite travel seat of all times is the Combi Coccoro, but beware, it's outgrown by average size kids at around 2. It fits beautifully rearfacing on just about any seat. It does have an installation that requires some practice, but so does the Scenera. It's wonderfully lightweight and far more cushy.

Anyways, safe travels!

Here is an example:

http://thecarseatlady.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html

Last edited by CBear; Apr 22, 2014 at 11:47 am
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Compliance Testing Summary - Child Restraint Systems, FMVSS No. 213"
deals with testing in cars - there is nothing in those tests related to airtravel.

Thete is nothing wrong with using carseats on a plane but parents should use common sense rather than fall for fact-less fear-mongering commonly encountered on this forum.

Originally Posted by CBear
And in order for a car seat to be FMVS2133 compliant, it must abide by the weight limits set forth by the NHTSA. Various test dummies are used of various sizes and weights. If you are interested, there is a lot of information available online. A company is certainly not going to go ahead and say it's okay to go over weight limits and then not be FMVS compliant.

Last edited by azepine00; Apr 22, 2014 at 7:01 pm
Old May 25, 2014, 5:41 pm

Let's see if I can paste this in from the FAA website:

Choosing a CRS Based on a Child's Weight

The FAA strongly urges you to secure your child in a CRS or device based on the child's weight. See the table below.
If your child weighs… Use a…
Less than 20 pounds Rear-facing CRS
20 to 40 pounds Forward-facing CRS
22 to 44 pounds CARES child safety device
More than 40 pounds Airplane seat belt

But don't take my word for it - see it yourself at

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

Note that the FAA "strongly urges" but does not require...
Old May 26, 2014, 1:18 pm

"Compliance Testing Summary - Child Restraint Systems, FMVSS No. 213"
deals with testing in cars - there is nothing in those tests related to airtravel.
I believe that your observation isn't entirely accurate as the following is the requirements of FMVSS 213 in the eCFR:
§571.213 Standard No. 213; Child restraint systems

S1. Scope. This standard specifies requirements for child restraint systems used in motor vehicles and aircraft.

S2. Purpose. The purpose of this standard is to reduce the number of children killed or injured in motor vehicle crashes and in aircraft.

S3. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks and buses, and to child restraint systems for use in motor vehicles and aircraft.

S8 Requirements, test conditions, and procedures for child restraint systems manufactured for use in aircraft. Each child restraint system manufactured for use in both motor vehicles and aircraft must comply with all of the applicable requirements specified in Section S5 and with the additional requirements specified in S8.1 and S8.2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.