Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Need help: First flight questions!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:33 am
Original Poster

This is my first flight. We are military and we are moving to Japan. My husband is already there, so I will be flying alone for 14 hours with a 2 month old.

I have seen people talking about "gate checking" strollers? What exactly does that mean?

Also has anyone used a rear facing graco-snugride infant carrier? And do I need to bring my base? Or does that matter?

How is a good way to pack formula?

And just curious-is there anything you would have done differently while flying with your infant?

Any info will help!!
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:34 am

Programs: Lufthansa/Aeroplan/Air Berlin
Originally Posted by Kasie
This is my first flight. We are military and we are moving to Japan. My husband is already there, so I will be flying alone for 14 hours with a 2 month old.

I have seen people talking about "gate checking" strollers? What exactly does that mean?

Also has anyone used a rear facing graco-snugride infant carrier? And do I need to bring my base? Or does that matter?

How is a good way to pack formula?

And just curious-is there anything you would have done differently while flying with your infant?

Any info will help!!
Welcome! I'm a seasoned mom flyer - if you need any more advice - feel free to message me any time.

1. Gate checking means rather than check it with your luggage, you take it with you through security and they will take it right at the gate for you. Its can be really convenient if you have a lot of stuff and not a lot of free arms. I have also left our jackets in the stroller pockets so i don't have to bring them onboard.

2. I am not familiar with that car seat, so i can't really answer to it. If the baby has their own seat, then you should call the airline to find out if that particular seat will be accepted on the flight. I doubt you need the base. You may also want to check to make sure its approved in Japan if you are going to use it there. Since we travel back and forth a lot, i have never brought the infant seat with me (i brought the toddler car seat before though), as i keep a European car seat in europe and Canadian ones in Canada. With an infant that young, i personally would request a bassinette. Bassinettes are a life saver.

3. You can buy travel containers for powdered formula, try not to bring liquid formula. Just bring it in a sealed container and make your bottles, the FAs will warm them up for you. There are some cool products out there for mixing, i'm not that familiar anymore with the latest and greatest.

4. 2 months is one of the easiest times to fly with kids. I personally LOVED it at that age, with both of my kids. Try not to overthink or stress out about it. Babies can and will cried on planes and its important you keep your cool and just accept that it may not be fun, but it may not be insufferable either. I've done it alone with a baby and a toddler - there are people who will likely offer to hold your baby - if you feel comfortable with the person, take them up on it! In order to make the most of it, you will definitely need to go into some kind of zen mode. Get the bassinet as i said before. Try to get into the frequent flyer lounge as well so you can have a comfier seat to feed the baby in.

5. (i added this) Get a good baby carrier - either a soft structured one like an Ergo, or even a ring sling/pouch type. I have used about 10 different baby carriers/slings while travelling and those two are my favorite. The ring sling/pouch is the easiest for security though. I ended up NOT bring a stroller for a lot of our trips because i didn't need it with baby carriers, but if you have a lot of carry on stuff, a stroller can help cart stuff around after security. It depends on your wait times and stopovers. I also recommend packing as light as you can - diapers, wipes, formula, keep the baby in pjs and bring one extra pair in case of an assplosion.

You can do it It seems scary but there are lots of other people doing it and you aren't alone. And if anyone gives you attitude, give it right back to them.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Since you are a military dependent, don't forget the USO clubs. Most airports of any size have at least one. The USO clubs I've been in are nicer than the airport lounges I've been in. They also typically have very helpful staff at the front desk.

Also - everything with a baby takes longer. So give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, through check in, through security, etc. If you get stressed, you know your baby will feel it and get stressed too.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I've flown 3 transcons with my daughter, all before she was 3 months old.

Definitely plan to gate check your stroller. This means you can keep your 2 mo in the stroller up until the gate. You then fold it up and hand it in as you are boarding on the jet bridge. It is handed back to you at the same place when you deplane. I would definitely put a luggage tag on the stroller handle for this. I simply printed on a folded piece of paper my name, email, and cell phone on one side and in bright red "GATE CHECK" on the other side. I covered it with clear packing tape and punched a hole in it and attached it to the handle with plant wire. You can also buy bags for the strollers on Amazon.

Are you buying a separate seat for your child? If not, then you cannot take the car seat on board. I have the Graco Snugride 35 and used a padded bag that I bought on Amazon when I gate-checked it (I have the frame stroller that the car seat pops right into and gate-checked both). If you are having another seat for your child, then speak to the airline directly to see what kinds of seats are approved. Also, most airlines will require car seats to be in window seats only - so check your seat assignments now.

I was lucky, my daughter barely whimpered on the 6 hour flights. I had lots of bottles ready. I had them premade (liquid) and kept them in a bottle bag with an ice-pack. No issues going through security. My daughter takes her bottles cold so I didn't have the FAs heat them, but I bet that they would have. Enfamil also makes travel size formula packs that are pre-measured to make 4 oz. just pour it in the bottle and add water. I always keep a few of these in my diaper bag for emergencies.

Finally, remember that for carry-on you get your usual allotment of 1 bag and 1 personal item, but you can also add a diaper bag. I found that was too much with also trying to manage getting the stroller and car seat down the jetway, plus carrying my baby. SO I had a backpack and her diaper bag as my carry-ons.

Finally, do you have a sling? I found it indepensible when carrying her around the airport and especially while boarding. She stayed in the sling during take-off and landing and felt all cozy and actually slept through both.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
Two months old proved the best time to fly!
I use a rear facing car seat on planes. You don't use the base on the plane. Be sure to look at the car seat and how to install with only a lap belt before you get on board.

It takes longer to do everything at the airport with a baby. Security takes longer. Boarding takes longer. Gate checking the stroller adds a minute or two as you take the baby out and get it folded up. But, I can't imagine checking the stroller at check in. The stroller is a necessity through the airport. It holds all the stuff. Settling in takes much longer!

Pacifiers proved great. Funny, but my child never would take one until her first trip. That pacifier was sucked on for 15 solid hours. I would have thought her cheeks would be sore.

The lounges were the best thing. A comfy, clean, somewhat quieter place, to feed and change the baby. I know nothing about formula. I have gotten many bottles of milk through security. In my experience, liquids are acceptable when they see you have a tiny one.

To heat up the bottles, the FA's have put them in airsick bags and filled it with hot water. Worked great. It became even better when room temperature and cold bottles were acceptable.

What you are doing is doable. Don't stress out! We stressed and it was a complete waste of energy. You can't change how the baby reacts whether it's good or bad. So why worry? Again, two months old is a fantastic time to fly and handle it by yourself.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: United Plus
Yes, this is a good age for flying. No food, no entertainment, they just sleep and eat.

I assume your baby has a seat because you're military traveling on orders. Put the base in your checked luggage and only use the seat baseless on board. Check your manual as it will say this.

ITA about the sling. Someone mentioned "pouch" slings. I believe those have been taken off the market due to some deaths. They're not comfortable either so use a Ring Sling. Visit peppermint.com for more information if you don't have a good quality one already. Avoid front packs like the "Bjorn" or Snugli.

It won't apply to you because your baby has a seat but make sure she's in any sort of sling for take-off and landing. Someone said that her baby was "cozy" but that's also dangerous. Lap babies should be LOOSE in their parents' lap for take-off and landing. It's dangerous to have them attached to the adult since the adult weighs much more than the baby. I'm just mentioning this in case anyone reading has a lap baby.

Since your baby has a seat, the bassinet isn't necessary. A car seat is much more comfortable and convenient than bassinet and it's also safer. I would still recommend sitting in the bulkhead. It's easier to get in and out of those seats.

Instead of awkward formula tubs, I found that using bottles with liners the best way to do long-haul flights. I pre-measured each liner and rolled them up, then put dozens in a ziplock. I was covered for any sort of delay. You would need a bottle system that uses liners to do this though.

Don't travel with liquid. Very difficult. Tried it once. A transcon maybe but for long haul international, no way! Get your baby used to powdered over a few days if necessary, about 1/4 at a time.

Get your baby used to a room-temperature bottle before leaving. Yes, you can warm them on the plane but who will do it for you during check-in, security or while waiting for boarding? A warmed baby bottle has NO health advantage so no need to get into this unnecessary habit.

Also, remember that it's not necessary to give a bottle during take-off and landing. This is a common myth that causes to many sleeping babies to be woken. Feed your baby as you normally would. Any movement will keep her ears open. If she doesn't have any ear infection, she'll be fine. I used to schedule well-baby visits right before leaving so that their ears could be checked before long haul flights.

ITA with the oversized backpack. Much better than jiggling a diaper bag, etc. I also got rid of my purse and used either a string purse with essentials or a fanny pack. Buy the backpack at a luggage store. Mine go up to my knee when placed on the floor. If you bring a diaper bag as well, just put the back-up supplies that might be needed and stow it up in the bin.

Changes of clothes for both of you. Keep her in sleepsuits. Remember a bonnet for the baby because the airplane air can be chilly.

Here are my completely non-commercial flying tips. Many military parents have contributed.
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.