Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

11 month-old with his own seat JFK-FCO: conflicting advice on best seats, other tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11 month-old with his own seat JFK-FCO: conflicting advice on best seats, other tips?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
Smile 11 month-old with his own seat JFK-FCO: conflicting advice on best seats, other tips?

Hi, all; my husband and I are traveling JFK-FCO in early October. This will be our first flight with baby, who will then be 11 months' old. All 3 of us have economy comfort (EC) seats both ways.

We've gotten some conflicting advice on the best seats from "Delta mom" (Delta phone rep) and other "general" moms (who don't, presumably, answer the phone at Delta for a living). If the seat configuration on our flights is helpful, it's on seatguru.com (same plane both ways): Delta's Airbus A330-300 (333), Version 1.
  • Bulkhead vs. regular seating? Delta mom suggested NOT getting the bulkhead seat, as we will have more privacy for breastfeeding in a regular EC row and, more importantly, we will have nowhere to stow our carry-ons in bulkhead (and, as she pointed out, we will have more stuff to carry-on than we did before baby). Every other travel blog/article suggests getting the bulkhead when you're flying with baby. Dad has expressed concern over not having the bulkhead as he feels he'll have more room to change the baby, etc. there. What would you do?
  • Seat assignments: 3 of the 4 seats in the middle row or take one of the airplane sides? Delta mom felt we would be better off with 14 G, H and J. This puts baby plus one on one side of the aircraft, separated by the aisle from the other parent. I felt we were better off all together (with baby between) us, in 14 C, D and F. Delta mom put us in my preferred configuration outbound and in hers on the return, and told us obviously we were free to change seats if we changed our minds later. Which seats would you take?

Beyond seat assignments, I'm open to any other advice. I've read lots of the tips in this forum across the past few weeks--and I'm sure I'll read more as we get closer to October--but if reading this made you think of something we should know before we embark on our first flight with an 11-month old, I'm all ears!
Old May 6, 2013, 1:56 pm

Bulkhead armrests on this plane don't move. For me, that removes the bulkhead from consideration.

Middle row having four seats removes the privacy aspect of having the entire row, and also removes any middle seat from my consideration.

I'd suggest going with the two and one split in row 14. It will give you a bit more privacy, and allow you to bring the armrest between the two seats up if you need to. I believe that the window seat in row 15 will be the last one taken, as it has no window. This also removes a distraction for your child in the row behind you, and allows you to manage the environment around the child slightly more. I.e., you're not stuck with the person behind the baby wanting to keep the window shade up the entire flight.

Finally, the parent sitting across the aisle might be able to get a bit of sleep during the flight, and you can easily trade off and/or get up for walks during the flight.

I'm in the school of not changing diapers in the cabin. Bring some disposable pads on the plane and use the restroom, either on the changing table or with the toilet seat down. The walk through the cabin generally does the child good in any event.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
No comment on the seats but PLEASE DON'T CHANGE THE BABY AT YOUR SEAT. That is unhygienic and no one else wants to witness/smell it. Please change your baby's diaper in the bathroom.
Old May 6, 2013, 2:06 pm

Some aircraft have bulkhead seats with restricted legroom--looks from seatguru like this is one of them. For that reason alone, I myself would skip the bulkhead. I don't think you'll have any more or less privacy.

As for the seat considerations, I think there are pros and cons to both. For nursing, I personally would be more comfortable not sitting next to a stranger; but nursing in an aisle seat can be uncomfortable because you want to make sure passing traffic doesn't bump you. Honestly? I might skip the EC and go for the row of three at the back of the plane--42 or 43 CDG.
Old May 6, 2013, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

very helpful - thank you!

Originally Posted by juuceman
Bulkhead armrests on this plane don't move. For me, that removes the bulkhead from consideration.

Middle row having four seats removes the privacy aspect of having the entire row, and also removes any middle seat from my consideration.

I'd suggest going with the two and one split in row 14. It will give you a bit more privacy, and allow you to bring the armrest between the two seats up if you need to. I believe that the window seat in row 15 will be the last one taken, as it has no window. This also removes a distraction for your child in the row behind you, and allows you to manage the environment around the child slightly more. I.e., you're not stuck with the person behind the baby wanting to keep the window shade up the entire flight.

Finally, the parent sitting across the aisle might be able to get a bit of sleep during the flight, and you can easily trade off and/or get up for walks during the flight.

I'm in the school of not changing diapers in the cabin. Bring some disposable pads on the plane and use the restroom, either on the changing table or with the toilet seat down. The walk through the cabin generally does the child good in any event.
thanks for elaborating on this. essentially, delta mom's advice was right on. i will call and change the outbound seats so we also have the 14 G/H/J or A/B/C scenario there, if available.

i think the diaper advice is right on as well. when dad is home, dad is the diaper dude...so i typed in his comment...but agreed (and i know he will too). we're also generally of the school of doing things in a polite/clean way--which doesn't usually involve changing a diaper anywhere we please--but i have to say, we have found ourselves in a variety of quandaries out and about and we have learned to be prepared (e.g., this weekend...at the Farley post office in manhattan...we had to STAND in line for THREE HOURS to get the baby's passport application going...and there is NO BATHROOM AVAILABLE IN THE ENTIRE BUILDING!). we don't like to be grotesque or rude but sometimes...you gotta put a chuck down and change the baby in a corner of the post office.

Anna Phor, thank you as well. i re-reviewed seatguru and you are also correct on the legroom thing. i probably would have just gone with the back as well...i had the same thought when i first saw the plane seating configuration...but i won this trip and the travel agent (they paid) upgraded us to EC, so really no choice but to upgrade baby as well (it's a trip for two, which we are making into a trip for 3).

truth be told, mom & dad will also appreciate the food and drinks EC offers.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: United Plus
Delta Mom doesn't know much about flying. If she did, she would have known that you can take your bags down and put them at your feet once the aircraft is in the air. You only need to have things stowed for take-off and landing. That isn't a big inconvenience for longer flights. I think she's more used to giving advice on people taking shorter domestic hops...

Take the bulkhead if you think your child will kick around a lot. You may have a very calm child who won't disturb anyone but flying with three, I liked the idea that no one was in front of us. We could also get in and out of those seats more easily.

I prefer to have our own row. I don't see any advantage to having a stranger in the row or why the middle would be better. I'm lost as to why clueless Delta Mom even suggested this...

Remember that the car seat needs to go by the window OR a center seat in the center section (row of 4, with aisles on both sides). Car seats can't go by the aisles. I understand Delta allows (the only airline I've heard of and I can't confirm) will allow certain models on the aisle. But my guess is that a 11 monther is in a "normal" car seat.

I flew countless trips with three children who were breastfed for a grand total of almost 6 years. I never had any problem breastfeeding them on aircraft. I used a Ring Sling to both position and cover us up. No one was really sure if I was holding him/her or feeding. Make sure to have a good quality baby carrier (hint: if it's outgrown, it wasn't a decent one). You'll use it a lot in Rome. But privacy on a long haul aircraft was never an issue. I would certainly not select seats based on vague "privacy" concerns. Just take any seat that you would bottle feed in. Since you have the luxury of traveling with the other parent and only one child, this is a no-brainer. It was trickier on transatlantics with three children, breastfeeding one and no husband to help and I survived...

I also never, ever had to change a child in the seat. I always took them to the lav, even when a 4 month old did a blowout diaper right before take off. I was quick! Change in the waiting area before boarding to cover yourselves for the long wait on the tarmac. Pun intended.

If your little guy can stand with support, like the "frisk" position cops do, practice changing him like that. It takes practice and more wipes but you will love this tip in Rome. No worries about hygiene and no need to hunt down baby changers. You also won't be fighting him to stay lying down in a strange place. Airplane lavs are tiny and the changers only hold tiny ones.

Really wish we could have a "chat" with Delta Mom and her dodgy advice
Old May 7, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I second the carrier. On our trip to Spain with our 11 month old, it helped greatly in getting the child to sleep. There was too much distraction on the plane for him to fall asleep, even though he was dead tired and cranky. My wife put him in her ergo carrier on her chest and walked around a little bit up in the galley area. After a few minutes he was asleep and she was able to sit back down with him sleeping there. Luckily you have an extra seat for a car seat so you might have much less issue with the child sleeping. We did a 5.5h SFO-JFK flight when our son was 7 months and had a car seat. He fell asleep just after takeoff with his bottle, and slept for about 3.5h of the flight.

As to the middle or window seats, it's a tough choice. You'll have more privacy in the window 2 seats, but as mentioned before I wouldn't worry so much about the privacy issue. Downside is that you are split up and the person next to the baby is by default going to be doing a lot more on the flight. By taking 3 seats in the middle section, you'd be on either side of the baby and both be able to help out. Another thing to consider is that having the car seat next to the window and in the bulkhead means less distraction for the baby. Having them in the middle section might constantly have their attention at people walking by, etc.

Double check your aircraft. I'm not familiar with that plane, but seatguru lists the bulkhead seats by the window as exit rows. Hard to tell on the DL site, but if that's the case then you won't be able to sit there.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

thanks for this--but a follow-up question...

fair enough re: taking bags down once we're in the air. but what about the immoveable armrests and narrower seats in bulkhead in the middle on this plane--does that affect your opinion?

also delta mom did recommend the side of the aircraft (2 of us there, 1 across the aisle in the middle). i was/am leery of it because i'm afraid of being on my own with baby without dad's helping hands on the other side.

the carrier advice is good--we will bring kokopax for walking around rome and baby bjorn or one of my wrap fabrics for the plane.

VERY interesting advice on the changing! never heard of it before. read that part to dad and i think he will try it. he's been very leery of putting baby down--even with a chuck (baby is squirmy and fast)--in dirty places.

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Delta Mom doesn't know much about flying. If she did, she would have known that you can take your bags down and put them at your feet once the aircraft is in the air. You only need to have things stowed for take-off and landing. That isn't a big inconvenience for longer flights. I think she's more used to giving advice on people taking shorter domestic hops...

Take the bulkhead if you think your child will kick around a lot. You may have a very calm child who won't disturb anyone but flying with three, I liked the idea that no one was in front of us. We could also get in and out of those seats more easily.

I prefer to have our own row. I don't see any advantage to having a stranger in the row or why the middle would be better. I'm lost as to why clueless Delta Mom even suggested this...

Remember that the car seat needs to go by the window OR a center seat in the center section (row of 4, with aisles on both sides). Car seats can't go by the aisles. I understand Delta allows (the only airline I've heard of and I can't confirm) will allow certain models on the aisle. But my guess is that a 11 monther is in a "normal" car seat.

I flew countless trips with three children who were breastfed for a grand total of almost 6 years. I never had any problem breastfeeding them on aircraft. I used a Ring Sling to both position and cover us up. No one was really sure if I was holding him/her or feeding. Make sure to have a good quality baby carrier (hint: if it's outgrown, it wasn't a decent one). You'll use it a lot in Rome. But privacy on a long haul aircraft was never an issue. I would certainly not select seats based on vague "privacy" concerns. Just take any seat that you would bottle feed in. Since you have the luxury of traveling with the other parent and only one child, this is a no-brainer. It was trickier on transatlantics with three children, breastfeeding one and no husband to help and I survived...

I also never, ever had to change a child in the seat. I always took them to the lav, even when a 4 month old did a blowout diaper right before take off. I was quick! Change in the waiting area before boarding to cover yourselves for the long wait on the tarmac. Pun intended.

If your little guy can stand with support, like the "frisk" position cops do, practice changing him like that. It takes practice and more wipes but you will love this tip in Rome. No worries about hygiene and no need to hunt down baby changers. You also won't be fighting him to stay lying down in a strange place. Airplane lavs are tiny and the changers only hold tiny ones.

Old May 7, 2013, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

again, great advice!

yeah, i'm afraid of giving up the extra pair of hands. downside of course of staying in the middle is we end up with another person in our row. and then as for the bulkhead, i'm still torn...because bulkhead means immoveable armrests and narrower seats. and potentially more baby distractions as you point out.

i double-checked and you are right re: exits, so looks like if we choose to sit on the side of the plane, bulkhead is not an option. decisions, decisions...

Originally Posted by roknroll
I second the carrier. On our trip to Spain with our 11 month old, it helped greatly in getting the child to sleep. There was too much distraction on the plane for him to fall asleep, even though he was dead tired and cranky. My wife put him in her ergo carrier on her chest and walked around a little bit up in the galley area. After a few minutes he was asleep and she was able to sit back down with him sleeping there. Luckily you have an extra seat for a car seat so you might have much less issue with the child sleeping. We did a 5.5h SFO-JFK flight when our son was 7 months and had a car seat. He fell asleep just after takeoff with his bottle, and slept for about 3.5h of the flight.

As to the middle or window seats, it's a tough choice. You'll have more privacy in the window 2 seats, but as mentioned before I wouldn't worry so much about the privacy issue. Downside is that you are split up and the person next to the baby is by default going to be doing a lot more on the flight. By taking 3 seats in the middle section, you'd be on either side of the baby and both be able to help out. Another thing to consider is that having the car seat next to the window and in the bulkhead means less distraction for the baby. Having them in the middle section might constantly have their attention at people walking by, etc.

Double check your aircraft. I'm not familiar with that plane, but seatguru lists the bulkhead seats by the window as exit rows. Hard to tell on the DL site, but if that's the case then you won't be able to sit there.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:15 am

The plane is setup 2-4-2. The bulkhead on this flight is only available in coach as a center 4-seater as the sides are exit row seats. So the choice is either bulkhead center with a stranger in the row, or splitting the group up in rows 2-5 with the child against the window.

Put the child in the seat against the window. You're not going to get much out of any extra room in the bulkhead with a full size child seat in one of the middle seats. The ability to switch off is going to be pretty helpful, in my opinion. When bookend the child you're both going to be "on" for the entirety of the flight.

And you'll skip the concern that they reassign the bulkhead to another passenger at the airport.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:44 am

Programs: United Plus
I would go for the two seats with dad in front in an aisle seat. That would be better than putting him across the aisle. Easier to switch off, talk to each other and pass stuff.

I've done the 4 in the bulkhead. We've also done 5, with 4 of us. The "stranger" was a very nice young man who mostly slept so that worked well. The bulkhead is easier to get in and out of so passing him wasn't a problem and we tried to use the other side. My car seat fit but I understand not all will. Because we fly a lot, the car seats were purchased with travel in mind.

Leave the Baby Bjorn at home. It's usually outgrown at around 6 months and the unnatural position is not comfortable for bigger babies. The child is hung by its crotch but the wrap is much more comfortable. It's also your "hooter hider", blanket, sun cover, etc. I usually flew with my Ring Sling just because it's easier to take off/put on but if you're comfortable with the wrap, use that. You might also look into the soft carriers like the Ergo or Beco for walking around in Rome, but they're not ideal for breastfeeding.

The changing advice I got before I had kids. I have a cousin whose a twin mom expat so she flew a lot with them. Changing them standing up was the only way she could do it alone. She couldn't fight one to lie down on a changing table and keep her eye on the other... But do get used to doing it at home first because it does take some practice. Use the handicapped lav on the aircraft because often it has more room.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Don't worry so much about not having the extra set of hands right next to you. The child has their own seat and car seat, and the car seat sort of works as your extra set of hands.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Talking OK, so it's done.

Originally Posted by roknroll
Don't worry so much about not having the extra set of hands right next to you. The child has their own seat and car seat, and the car seat sort of works as your extra set of hands.
called and flummoxed the delta rep but she figured it out eventually. we now have 14 G/H/J on the outbound and 14 A/B/C on the return. thanks for the feedback - it was invaluable!
Old May 13, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BettyKat
called and flummoxed the delta rep but she figured it out eventually. we now have 14 G/H/J on the outbound and 14 A/B/C on the return. thanks for the feedback - it was invaluable!
I'm a little late to the discussion, but I agree with the comments that led you to this decision! I don't do bulkheads with kids because I need constant access to bags, even during a short taxi and takeoff (which we all know can sometimes be quite long if you are stuck on a tarmac somewhere).
Old May 15, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite

We found that using nighttime diapers for the plane rides helped buy us a little more time between changes thanks to the extra absorbency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.