Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

At what point do you stop using the car seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)

I have a 2 1/2 year old who has always had a reserved seat and we were using car seat. But I am wondering at what point does one stop using the car seat for the toddler and simply gate checks the car seat? Can anyone offer an advice?

We are flying tomorrow on Delta.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am moving this thread to the FT Travel With Children Forum. Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:07 pm

We have a 2.5 year old who has also had a reserved seat on all of her flights. Our next flight with her is our vacation in November, at which time she'll be three. We still plan on using the car seat at that time. It will not only be safer for our daughter, but also easier on us. Strapping her into the car seat is pretty much the only way to guarantee she'll remain seated for most of the flight. She's a clever and determined little thing. There's no way a simple lap belt is going to keep her contained!

If it matters, we don't use the convertible type car seat when we travel. We have a car seat that will eventually convert to a booster for her when she's older and that's the one we take on flights with us since it allows her to sit more upright and see what's going on.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:14 pm

My son is the same age, and we've never used a car seat in-flight. He was a lap child until he was 2, and after that we used CARES.

I would be hesitant to put him in a seat with an adult seatbelt. His CARES harness straps over his chest like a stroller harness and he knows now that means he is supposed to sit in his seat (although knowing and complying are not always the same thing!!)

My two cents is that it depends on the temperament and perhaps the size of your child--but check also the airline regulations? I just looked at the FAA site and they "strongly urge" you to use some kind of device if your child weighs less than 40lb.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:21 pm

Programs: United Plus
If you don't need the car seat at your destination, you can just use the seat belt or if you want him to be safer, the CARES harness. Neither is required but adult seat belts don't hold toddlers very well (again, little chance of an accident).

If you are taking a car seat and need it where you're going, be sure to use it on board. Your child will be both safer and more comfortable. Never check a car seat as luggage and even gate-checking is not a great idea if you can avoid it. You're guaranteed that the car seat wont be lost or broken en route.

The new higher harnessed seats go up to age 8 (in harness mode) and restraints are now allowed on U.S. companies until age 18 (that's to cover special needs children) so you can bring it on board and use it as long as you basically want.

Remember that boosters, including car seats in booster mode, are not allowed (file that for later!)
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Seem to remember (and this is from memory, so it might be a bit off) that car seat max is 40lbs (regardless of age or height).
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl

The new higher harnessed seats go up to age 8 (in harness mode) and restraints are now allowed on U.S. companies until age 18 (that's to cover special needs children) so you can bring it on board and use it as long as you basically want.
OT to the original post, but thank you for this snippet of information. My son is 4 and has a form of autism. While he could do OK without a car seat on board the plane, since we need it at our destination, we have to bring it along, and I've been wondering when we'd wear out the welcome as far as having it on board goes. Knowing that the US airlines need to accept it for him is great information for me.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:18 pm

They updated that a few years ago. SN children were allowed before but they had to clear it before. Now they don't have to.

Just be careful when flying with other nationalities. Many say age 3 (why they even state a maximum is kind of illogical).

Seem to remember (and this is from memory, so it might be a bit off) that car seat max is 40lbs (regardless of age or height).

Car seats used to have a 40lbs/18 kilo limit and then you were expected to put your child in a booster. That's still the case in much of the world but since harnessing is safer, many designs go much higher. Same was true for rear-facing seats. They used to go only to about 20lbs but many go to 35, 40lbs or more.

The Radian gets a lot of attention on this board because it fits well in airplane seats and folds flat. Many of us use it for travel. There are some issues with it rear-facing, so it's not the best choice for babies. I think the weight limit is 80lbs and most children will go to age 8. Many parents of SN children buy it specifically for that reason.

Last edited by Eclipsepearl; Jun 28, 2012 at 12:47 am
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Back in the olden days (ducks her head!), this was true. These days a lot of rear facing covertable seats have a limit of between 35 to 45 (Radian and Foonf) lbs and anything from 65 - 80 lbs forward facing. Then there is seperate forward facing harnessed seats that convert to belt positioning boosters with limits of 65lbs and up.

AAP recommendations are now to Rearface to a minimum of 2 and many people choose to rearface as old as 4+ and after that,keep them harnessed until between 5 and 8 before moving to a high back belt positioning booster.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:54 pm

We just did our first flight with our 2 year old without the car seat (had one waiting for us at both ends), and it went very well. However, they could easily slip down thru the lap belt and while it was comfortable it didnt seem particularly safe in the event of severe turbulence. The belt kind of lies across the belly which can cause bad internal injuries (thats why you use a booster in the car - get the belt across the hips)
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:42 pm

After you require shoulder surgery from lugging it + 10 bags + kids around.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by erik123
After you require shoulder surgery from lugging it + 10 bags + kids around.
That's why I use luggage carts!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
That's why I use luggage carts!
Try finding one in the US after security.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:18 am

You don't have to. Put it on the belt first, before the car seat. Makes it easier to set up once you're done having your things scanned.

I recommend one with a metal, not plastic base. They sell overpriced Gogo Travelmates marketed specifically for car seat but it has a plastic base and does the same thing a normal luggage cart does. They cost anything from $15 to $80.

Mine also has a telescoping handle, which is not a deal breaker, although nice.

Be sure to stow it either in a closet or on the floor in front of you, not in an overhead bin. They were not allowed up there because they tend to fly out and could hurt someone (have done).

Before check-in and in baggage claim, you can use the large luggage carts provided (often for a fee) but as soon as you check-in, set up yours' and away you go! No need to carry anything by hand!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:04 am

I bought the gogobabyz thing before I heard about the luggage carts, and while it is indeed overpriced for a piece of plastic with rollerblade wheels it is super handy and we are always glad to have it. It works great as a makeshift stroller too and our son weirdly loves to ride in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.