Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Family kicked off JetBlue for not controlling toddler

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Plus

This has been doing the rounds on the net so I thought I'd post it here.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/tod...03604#46703604

As most of you know, this is not new but I found it interesting that 1. the toddler did have a seat and 2. that the flight still returned to the gate, even when they got her seated.

Not meant to be a warning or anything because I know all of us here are totally able to "control" our wee ones on airplanes
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I suspect the pilot had made the decision to deplane them before the girl got calm down.

I'm wondering how long the tantrum lasted? It must be quite long since they don't just deplane a crying kid.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyl...not-the-first/
This story above has some puzzling statements. It says:

The station reported that when the family finally got Natalie to sit, security appeared with a JetBlue representative. Although Vieau said passengers around them and security were sympathetic to the situation, the pilot was not. A flight attendant told them the plane would be pulling back to the gate.

If the plane had already left the gate, how did security get onboard with a JetBlue representative?

An amusing audio clip interview with the mom:

http://mix1065fm.radio.com/2012/03/1...nruly-toddler/

As with most of these stories, I am sure there is much more to it.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Actually, your kid can scream and yell all s/he wants. It's not a FAA violation. The whole issue is staying in the seat. If the little girl had been silent and running down the aisles, they would have been deplaned.

Interesting how the press sees this as a parenting issue.

Good eye on the security question. They probably just got the order wrong.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold
In the interview Dr. View said that three to five minutes passed from the time the tantrum began to when she was buckled in and settled. That's a heckuva long time to wait for a passenger to settle if the plane was waiting to push back.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:33 am
Original Poster

I think they were already rolling since the F/A said that the decision was to return to the gate.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Actually, your kid can scream and yell all s/he wants. It's not a FAA violation.
Perhaps, but one of the links here has a story of a family removed from a plane because their screaming child was so loud that other PAX could not hear the safety briefing.

As with all stories of this type, the public almost never gets the whole true story. Who knows what really happened?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:21 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
sounds like most parent's worst nightmare
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Saw a clip of this family on Good Morning America - the toddler was out of control on the sofa while in her parent's lap. I can only imagine how she was on the airplane.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by wrxmom
Saw a clip of this family on Good Morning America - the toddler was out of control on the sofa while in her parent's lap. I can only imagine how she was on the airplane.
C'mon she is a 2 year old and she was on the TV show doing nothing and her mum was busy talking to other people. She is trying to get her attention.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nacho
C'mon she is a 2 year old and she was on the TV show doing nothing and her mum was busy talking to other people. She is trying to get her attention.
2 years old or not, children can and do have good manners, if they are taught them. She did not.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:43 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

2 years old or not, children can and do have good manners, if they are taught them. She did not.
According to the interview with the parents that i saw (from the link eclipsepearl shared) she'd flown before with no problems, this was a return home so clearly they got out with no issue. I've seen 2 year olds with good manners (I have a child and i also worked in a nursery) who also have tantrums, it can happen to anyone
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
+1. Children, believe it or, can be held accountable for their conduct.
iamRyanL likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:50 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

O.T perhaps but what is the age of criminal responsibility in the US? Thats normally the age when children can be accountable for their actions
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Age 6, I believe. They were just discussing that on BBC World radio.

I think preparing a child ahead of time works even better than strict discipline. Even pretty cool parents can discuss with a child what to expect. One of mine didn't talk at all at age 2 and one very little (but the middle one used full sentences in both languages, never mixing, go figure!) so communication can be tricky.

Two year olds can be stubborn and willful. Perhaps those parents were following the dire "fly when they nap" tip which so often goes wrong. A car seat would have helped (says mom who has strapped unhappy toddlers into them more than once). She might have just been hungry. Time to whip out the new toy, just on push back...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.