Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

United Airlines insisted I change my baby on toilet seat or bathroom floor!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines insisted I change my baby on toilet seat or bathroom floor!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:08 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
JessKasha, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Please follow as the thread moves to the Travel with Children forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by JessKasha
July 5 traveling from Dulles to LAX with my husband and 19 month old daughter on a full flight my family suffered a horrible experience.
Midway through the flight my daughter required a diaper change, at which point we took our baby to the restroom only to discover there was no changing table. Directly outside of the restroom was a flat padded bench that was not in use, which made sense as the logical place to do a quick change. As I was preparing the area, a stewardess came flying around the corner saying that I was not allowed to use the bench that it was against FAA policy, I looked at her confused and asked where to change my baby. The response I got was something no parent or caretaker should receive, she told me my two options were the top of a toilet seat (which at this time was clogged with feces) or the bathroom floor! I was appalled/hurt to say the least and refused to do either. Her compromise to me was giving me a trashbag to lay on the floor outside of the bathroom.
I am posting this in hopes for a change. It breaks my heart to think of the bacteria and worse our precious babies could be exposed to.
I find this post hysterically funny, especially in combination with:

I'm sorry that I did not make it clear in my OP that I DO carry around a clean cushy blanket to use for public changes. She is a toddler and would not fit on a toilet seat, nor will I put her on on my seat on a packed flight. I WAS prepared for a quick, clean change. If you think by quickly changing my young child on a bench on her blankie over a filthy toilet or urine soaked floor, or the seat of my packed flight is wrong, then I have to question your judgement.
How did the kid reach 19 months of age without ever having to be changed in a less than hygienic place before? Why would anyone who cares about germs ever change a diaper on a "clean cushy blanket"? Blankets = absorbent fabric = germ breeding grounds, how about a nice plastic-lined disposable changing pad in the diaper bag? You can get a 12 pack of them for about $5.

Oh, and yes, I have changed many a diaper on an airplane. It really ain't that difficult to do in the loo - which is where diaper changing belongs, even if there is no table. Small kid - diaper pad on the sink counter, bigger kid - standing.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH
Can yoiu tell me more specifically? What is happening your daughter who did not have diaper change during in-flight. I wasn't sure why they change the policy? You didn't put her in the diaper table. Can you wait for landed in LAX go to family restroom to change her diapers.
When the diaper is full.. and child sits.. then the poop squishes out.. all over the plane..

There may not be too much remorse for us parents having to deal with diaper changes.. but when it starts inconveniencing everyone on board.. i.e. feces management and odors.. I think that's when everyone needs to say stop!.. nip this in the bud..

I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old.. ime.. dirty diaper changed will help everyone..
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1P
Same thing happened to us on LAX-HNL and the FAs told us to either change our son at our seats or offered to give us blankets to put on the toilet. Now ya'll know where they have been next time you cuddle up

But yeah when I called United to ask which aircraft have changing tables (since up until then we had only flown UA internationally and they always had tables) I was told that no UA domestic aircraft have them (which I later found to be untrue as every UA Airbus I have been on since has had them) and was offered an unsolicited $150 e-cert. Funny thing was that Hawaiian Airlines 717 has changing tables for the 45 minute flights. Seriously how much can it cost to attach a few changing tables.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slomrtwo
Same thing happened to us on LAX-HNL and the FAs told us to either change our son at our seats or offered to give us blankets to put on the toilet. Now ya'll know where they have been next time you cuddle up

But yeah when I called United to ask which aircraft have changing tables (since up until then we had only flown UA internationally and they always had tables) I was told that no UA domestic aircraft have them (which I later found to be untrue as every UA Airbus I have been on since has had them) and was offered an unsolicited $150 e-cert. Funny thing was that Hawaiian Airlines 717 has changing tables for the 45 minute flights. Seriously how much can it cost to attach a few changing tables.
Funny.. we fly to KOA.. hop to OGG via Hawaiian as well..

We just change at our seats if we have to.. but we seemed to be getting planes with change tables lately.. so that's always good..
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:04 am

Programs: United Plus
Even if there were a changing table, a 19 month old won't fit on it. Mine were too big for the airplane changing tables from about 6-8 months on.

I learned to change my babies standing up. They don't even need to stand independently. As soon as they could stand with support, I could change their diaper this way. I recommend doing this at home first. This is super convenient any time you're out in public. No more hunting down changing tables. It's cleaner and getting a toddler to lie down in a strange place can be a challenge that you don't need to face.

I would look for the handicapped lav on aiplanes which has more room.

The F/A jumpseat is not a place for changing diapers. By FAA rules, no one can even sit there (if you see someone allowed in normal clothes they should be off-duty F/A's).

They are very strict about hygiene on airplanes, especially about "human waste". Someone threw up on me once and I couldn't participate in the next meal service, even when I was all cleaned up. Luckily it wasn't even that bad but I had come in contact with it. I could only clean up after and make coffee during.

FAA rules apply to all U.S. companies, including American. Their F/A's would have prevented you from doing this too.

Recently there was a list of the top passenger complaints somewhere on the net and changing diapers in the seat was close to the top.

Sometimes you have to change babies in less-than-ideal circumstances, on the road even more than on airplanes.

If you want to complain to United, you can but don't tell them that you're upset that the F/A's didn't let you use the jumpseat. That's a FAA reg and can't be changed. You can complain about the F/A's conduct and how she spoke to you. You can also complain about the state of the lav and the lack of a baby changer (even though a 19 monther couldn't have used it anyway).
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:59 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Barring any unknown disability, a 19 month old can usually stand. For my boys, we learned to change them standing up.

I, too, was going to ask this.

I don't want to blame the "victim" here (using the term VERY loosely), but I don't get why standing wasn't an option.

YES, planes should have diaper changing stations, but the OP couldn't have used one even if they did, so I am not quite sure what plan s/he had in mind upon boarding the plane.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
I, too, was going to ask this.

I don't want to blame the "victim" here (using the term VERY loosely), but I don't get why standing wasn't an option.

YES, planes should have diaper changing stations, but the OP couldn't have used one even if they did, so I am not quite sure what plan s/he had in mind upon boarding the plane.
We'll depending on the "type" of baggage in the diaper I can see how trying to control it while the child is standing could be an issue. As for when the changing table becomes unusable depends on the child and situation I guess. Our's is generally very cooperative when laying down for a diaper change even if the table is a bit short.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Man up ! Just whip the changing blanket out, find a secluded place, get on with it, and clean up. My experience is that changing a nappy/diaper on any kid means that an invisible total exclusion zone appears and it can be done anywhere with no drama, no fuss, just keep calm and carry on.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whilst I agree a 19month wouldn't fit on a change table, I am not sure how they would fit on the loo floor either (and have room for someone to change them without the door being opened). I find the loos tiny at the best of times, I am not sure logistically how you manage with another person in there, however small!
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Man up ! Just whip the changing blanket out, find a secluded place, get on with it, and clean up. My experience is that changing a nappy/diaper on any kid means that an invisible total exclusion zone appears and it can be done anywhere with no drama, no fuss, just keep calm and carry on.
And how exactly do you "clean up" without a sink and trash can? Human waste belongs in the loo, and so does handwashing after diaper changes.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
And how exactly do you "clean up" without a sink and trash can? Human waste belongs in the loo, and so does handwashing after diaper changes.
LOL, I am sure you can work it out !
Old Jul 9, 2011, 1:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
LOL, I am sure you can work it out !
Yeah.. I think after the staff and other passengers understand the feces end of things.. umm fingers..

Everyone will be clearing a path and all of a sudden very accomodating..
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I was put on this flight by American and will not fly United again!
Until they have the cheapest fare for your desired destination

isn't that how it always works?

back on topic

I still don't see the problem changing in the lav; yes you do your best using the Paper towels to clean up, drop your changing blanket or item down and change the kid. you talk of bacteria etc, you are on a plane, going to/from an airport, you just are in the middle of one big bacteria breeding process to begin with; factor in the bacteria in your kids diaper.. I see no harm no foul on changing on the seat in the lav

Yes I have two kids who have flown with me since they were little
Old Jul 9, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: United Plus
We'll depending on the "type" of baggage in the diaper I can see how trying to control it while the child is standing could be an issue

Nope, not an issue and I have a boy and two girls. No problem BUT you need to try it out at home. Putting the child in the "frisk" position works well with the hands against a wall or whatever. Their hands AND feet and kept busy. Much, much easier than fighting them to stay lying down on a table!

Even if your child doesn't "mind" that the table is "too short", that's not the problem. A 19 month old is too big to even fit on any of those tables. There's nowhere for the legs to hang down. Often too, the ceiling is bending down as well. Toddlers can't be changed on those changing tables, end of story.

As I mentioned earlier, look for the handicapped lav. More room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.