Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Infant Restraints in Premium Cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Infant Restraints in Premium Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:00 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mlv416
Has anyone actually used a CARES harness on BA Premium Economy or Business recently? I feel like I read somewhere that they don't work in those plane sections.

We are looking to fly YYZ to either LHR, ORY, CDG or AMS, and then on to BSL.

Likely using BA via LHR, but AF to ORY or CDG or KLM via AMS are also options that are on the table.

I've heard that AF's PE type service is not worth it, so would probably just go economy or business (if we find a really good sale).

Never used KLM, so I'm not really looking at that fare, but it could come into play if the C.A.R.E.S. doesn't work on BA's nicer fares.

Any insight is appreciated. I don't want to fly AC, as they normally connect through Germany and I had a mildly sour experiences with Lufthansa/German airports and would prefer not to repeat that.
While I haven't personally used it I have seen Cares being used in BAs Premium Economy Section on more than one occasion, I have my doubts on wether it could be used in Business however
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
While I haven't personally used it I have seen Cares being used in BAs Premium Economy Section on more than one occasion, I have my doubts on wether it could be used in Business however

So confusing because I checked after I posted and on their site it seems to say it doesn't work on those cabins: http://www.britishairways.com/en-ca/...g-ready-to-fly

Obviously, they might post it to discourage use and disappoint, but ugh.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:49 am

Flying BC with 1 year old

I'm looking to go to Tokyo next year and possibly bring my son, who will be about one at the time. JAL has business class availability that I was planning to book, but I'm wondering if I need to book a separate seat for my son at that point. I'd hate to spend another 100K points for a BC seat for him, but I'm wondering if he'll be too big to comfortably hold as a lap child or fit in a bassinet. I could always fly coach and get him a seat, but am trying to avoid that.

Any experiences from others on FT?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:05 am

At 1 he'll likely be walking and, while he may qualify as a lap infant based on age, will not want to stay put on your lap. A bassinet is out of the question - meant for infants. You don't say how long of a flight it is, but I'm assuming it's a fair distance...Your best bet is really to get 2 seats.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by thelark
At 1 he'll likely be walking and, while he may qualify as a lap infant based on age, will not want to stay put on your lap. A bassinet is out of the question - meant for infants. You don't say how long of a flight it is, but I'm assuming it's a fair distance...Your best bet is really to get 2 seats.
Agreed. You don't want a child that big in your lap on a long haul flight. Get a second seat.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

I've seen many one you could not walk

Do you have to take the kid
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: 2015 kettle

We have done ord-dub a few times with our kids as lap pax. It's a pain at times, for sure, but it's doable. Japan is a lot more time on a plane, especially if from the east coast, but it's a big savings and I don't think you'll be really enjoying biz class since you're paying so much attention to your child anyway.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I've seen many one you could not walk

Do you have to take the kid
even if not walking, likely to be very, very squirmy at the least
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Not quite the topic of the thread but are you sure you want to take a 1-year old to Japan as a single care-giver? If you haven't been there before, you may find your attention taken mostly in taking care of yourself. The child will get nothing out of foreign travel at that age. Could grand-parents or other relatives take the child for a few days while you travel? If you really want to do this, I suggest you check in with our Flyer Talk Japan Forum to see how others have dealt with this.

Back on topic, I have seen any number of folks who routinely go the lap child route for short flights really regret not having someplace to put the child down for a bit on much longer flights. In J, the seat next to you is likely to be taken so you won't be able to use it for the occasional break. A fussy child will also really impact that person next to you and in any case, after a 10 to 12 hour flight, you would likely arrive completely thrashed from constantly juggling the child for that long. Most people sleep for at least a portion of those long flights. Would you be able to do that with a child in your lap?

For longer flights, I agree with many above that the child should have a seat.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by thelark
JAL age limit for bassinets is 2yo, though they do have a weight limit (10.5kg) which your kid might or might not have reached. If you chose to go lap-infant, and your kid isn't over the weight limit, do ask for a bassinet. Your give will not stay there for the whole flight, but if he sleeps there for even a couple of ours, it will be of huge help to you.
Also check what kind of seats you get in business on your flight. Sky suite seat aren't that great when traveling with kids, as they would be out of reach or very hard to reach, even in the middle seats that are aligned.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:27 pm

I wouldn't want a kid in a bassinet that is old enough to pull him/herself up, even if strapped into the bassinet - they won't be used to it and will be uncomfortable. Better option is getting a second seat and bringing a car seat along.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel With Children Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:37 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
I think it's great that you're looking at taking your son to Japan, I took numerous trips with my daughter when she was under 2 almost all as a lap infant (there'll always be haters on that issue) and always just me so no other adult
When you say 1 however a year and how many months? With hindsight (such a wonderful thing) 15 months for me was the turning point for having my daughter as a lap infant although we travelled to Hong Kong (from London) when she was 20 months and to Florida when she was 23 months

I'm not sure however how much you'd get from travelling business classs with a lap infant
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
We flew DL business class with our 21 month old son. Also few AF business with him at 11 months. Bassinet was not really something that worked when he was 11 months. He barely fit in it (he was just under the weight limit) but wouldn't sleep in it for longer than 10-15 mins.

1 is a tougher age. They are somewhat mobile, but not old enough to be entertained by movies or games. You will be very occupied most the flight entertaining or chasing after your child. At both ages, there was enough room to sleep (tightly) side by side in the business class seats.

If you are traveling solo, I honestly thing that it would be more comfortable booking two coach tickets where he'd have a car seat next to you to strap him in to. I was always with my wife, and we would take turns eating, which the other held our son. The trip to London at 22 months, we brought my wife's parents so there was even more help (all up in business class).
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:59 pm

I flew Dulles-Narita-Singapore-Perth with a 13 month-old lap child. Not for the faint of heart, but definitely doable, depending on the kid. Some kids are comfy sleeping on mom or dad and will happily curl up in your lap. Others ... won't. So as much as any other advice you'll get, know your own child.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.