Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Tyler Place in Vermot - Kid Oriented Resort - Any experiences there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:56 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold

Hi. My wife has suggested a visit to Tyler Place for a family trip this summer. Our kids will be 7 and 4.

It seems like the property has excellent kids activities - and that it's basically camp for the kids all day (ie: parents are free to do as they please, which is nice). When we go to more deluxe resorts, we usually have the kids do the hotel camp in the morning, then we play as a family in the afternoon. The kids love it, and we do to.

I'm worried about this place because we've had a few tough experiences (traveling solo) at B+Bs...where things are just so low end, it becomes unpleasant.

Has anyone actually been to this property? If so, could you comment on:
  1. How are the adult activities?
  2. The quality of the food and accommodations? (I know this isn't the Ritz, but where does it really fall on the scale?)

Appreciate any thoughts.

Their site is: http://www.tylerplace.com/index.php
Old Jan 17, 2010, 2:47 pm

Our family has vacationed at the Tyler Place for the past 7 years (this summer will be our 8th visit). You'll find that other families you meet there return year after year as well, and with good reason. To answer your questions:

1. The adult activities are outstanding. You have a choice of active pursuits (tennis, canoeing, biking, climbing wall, etc.), or more relaxed activities (massages, spa treatments, pottery classes, yoga, and so on). The best part of the activities are the new friendships you'll make while you're doing so.

2. The food is excellent. It's served buffet-style in the main dining room in the Inn, and there is always a vegetarian option for each meal (not just a side dish, but a full entree). The kids eat with their groups, so the adults can have a relaxed meal with other adults. As far as the accomodations go, they are rustic, but clean, well-appointed, and comfortable, and each cabin has separate bedrooms for the parents and kids, and most importantly, no TV!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:17 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Hi. Thank you for your post.

If you could help me with two further questions, I'd really appreciate it.

1. From looking at their photos on Facebook, it looks like there are older, smaller white cottages as well as newer, generally brown structures on the property. Are some of the accommodation options much newer than others?

2. What are the biggest drawbacks that you see? Anything you wish were different about the property?

Cheers.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:36 am

The Inn has the newest accommodations, and if you're more accustomed to a hotel-like experience, that would be your best option. The cottages are older, but all of them are well maintained and updated. We always preferred the cottages, as they have more privacy, and space for the kids to run around and play (especially when they were younger). Some of our friends prefer to stay at the Inn, because they prefer more hotel-style living, and the fact that it's centrally located.

As far as drawbacks, the only one I can think of is the travel time. Highgate Springs is the last exit on route 89 before Canada, which makes it about a 4-hour trip for us (Boston area). Hopefully your kids are good travelers (we always pack plenty of snacks to eat and CDs to listen to).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.