Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Best diaper bag and storing milk!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum Million Miler, Lifetime Marriott Titanium

Can anyone recommend a good diaper bag or back pack to take on the plane ? I (dad) will be traveling solo with our 2 yr old daughter and a 4 month older daughter next week. Is a backpack style the best for air travel ? What is the best way to store/transport baby bottle of milk ? I find sometimes that when we're around and about town, the bottles tend to leak. Our two year loves yogurt. Will TSA allow me to bring yogurt for the toddler ? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Oct 13, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
I think a backpack is always a good idea when travelling with kids. You need your hands as free as possible, IMO! I think any run of the mill backpack would be great as long as it has several compartments.

As for transporting milk, I don't know if you're talking about pumped breast milk, baby formula, or plain old milk, so I will offer suggestions for each:

1. Breast pump kits have bottles with it that are meant for transport, so use those.
2. If formula, bring the formula powder and buy water after security. Then mix bottles on demand, so no spillage. OR buy the small ready to eat formula bottles which are vacuum sealed. You can pour those into your usual bottles right when you need it.
3. Regular milk: Don't bother trying to transport it; just bring empty bottles and buy it when you need it. You can get it everywhere including on-board. If you're really nervous, there are organic milk drink boxes like you'd usually see for juice. You should be able to bring a three pack of those without worries of spillage, and they don't require refrigeration unless opened. You can pierce the foil or cut the corner and pour/squeeze into your bottles when you need it.

I would not bother with trying to bring yogurt. I've seen yogurt available to purchase in just about every airport I've ever been to at one restaurant or another. Trying to bring some is just too much of a pain in the butt, and I doubt you'd be allowed.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
A handsfree bag like a backpack is definitely best, as you'll need your hands for other things! But a "real" diaper bag is not necessary - we're currently using (for a 3 YO and 7 month old) a bike messenger bag from Timbuk2, with a waterproof changing pad salvaged from an old diaper bag (or you can buy these separately).

I agree with the PP about transporting milk and liquids - minimize what you have to bring and buy what you can after TSA. If you have to bring (and chill) breast milk, use some of the small, padded cooler bags that either come with a breast pump or from formula companies - or any small cooler bag. If you have liquids or a cooler ice pack, you WILL need to declare it and/or go through the family/medical line at security (depending on the airport), but you should be OK to take it through.

As for leaks: ziploc bags are your friend! if it's not feasible to put all the messy stuff in ziplocs, you can do the opposite and put the clean stuff (extra clothes - you are packing some of those, right? - books, papers, etc.) in ziplocs to be extra sure.

Hope that helps - good luck! And definitely browse this forum for lots of other tips on flying with infants and toddlers.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
As a general diaper bag recommendation, the DiaperDude (apparently designed by dads) has been a fantastic improvement over our previous bags, even as we moved from one to two kids (and back to just one in diapers, thank goodness). Really sturdy, lots of sensibly sized pockets for organization.

Yogurt has been a tough spot for us in travel, because the kids do like it, but most of the yogurt for sale in airports is of the "Lite & Fit" variety, and while I'm not a dogmatic eater or feeder, that's just too much chemistry (and not enough actual food) for me. We have sometimes been able to find parfaits in non-chain airport outlets that seemed to have actual yogurt in them. I wouldn't blame you for trying to get some real yogurt through security; I've seen parents try things that are at least as crazy, and succeed.

Bottom line, though, they don't fly that much, and I do place happiness above food principles on travel days.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your kind reply!!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:22 pm

I've had no problems getting yogurt through TSA when traveling with a young toddler (under 2). I just put it together with milk and other snacks for him in a soft-sided cooler and declare it to the TSA folks before going through the gauntlet. Haven't tried it since babymicah turned 2, though.

I'm also a DiaperDude fan (we have several diaper bags, but the DiaperDude has proved to be mrsmicah's and my favorite for everyday use). Only downside is that it's not the biggest bag in the world. When flying, I would probably just put the food in a soft-sided cooler with a shoulder strap and use a regular backpack for diapers, toys and other necessities. We also use the Playtex Insulator sippy cups for transporting beverages for the little guy (whether traveling or just scooting around town). They fit great in the outer pockets of the DiaperDude, have some insulation so the milk doesn't go bad too fast, and are remarkably leakproof.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I definitely like the cooler idea for storing the baby's pumped milk as well as milk/yogurt for the toddler. I just bought a backpack today to store diapers/wipes and other stuff since our current diaper bag is a Fleuerviille back that is a bit too frilly for me ;(........I'll let you know how it goes..
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by PVDProf

Bottom line, though, they don't fly that much, and I do place happiness above food principles on travel days.
yes yes yes
For me this is the golden rule!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.