Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100,000 peso hold!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
100,000 peso hold!!!

I booked a car with Dollar for GDL. Thrifty is the handling agent in GDL. Apparently, Dollar and Thrifty are owned by the same holding company and the GDL location is a franchise, owned and operated locally.

As you all know, US insurance with CC does not cover Mexico, so you have to buy the basic liability insurance which runs about $11 per day.

Well, the manager Alejandro Covarrubias, in addition to being a completely arrogant SOB decided that since I refused to buy the full coverage from him (where he makes commission) that he would charge me 100,000 pesos or $7,000 during the week of rental. The rental amount was $85 for the week. I refused to let him put that much on my card, as the policy clearly states 10% of the car value not 100%.

He stated that since he has been doing this for 15 years he knows the policies and unless I agree to the 100,000 peso charge, no car.
I went next door to Alamo and got a car there. Luckily Alamo came to the rescue and was willing to almost match the Dollar/Thrifty rate, but I was out $100 and 1.5 hours.

Do not rent from Thrifty in Mexico or at least GDL unless you are willing to buy full insurance coverage.

Stay clear of Thrifty. Other companies do not treat you this way.

Last edited by Deltahater; Mar 16, 2009 at 2:03 pm Reason: ownership info
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
Hey Delta,

Just the same issue I had a few months ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thrif...sit-issue.html
Old May 5, 2009, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by helahela
Hey Delta,

Just the same issue I had a few months ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thrif...sit-issue.html

What did you do about it? Avis (who owns Thrifty or is owned by the same holding company) refuses to address the issue. I have a case number, an customer service rep, Gabriela, who could actually have been trained by Aeroflot or Mexicana (not sure which one is worse) who is never available to discuss the issue in person.

I'll stay on them and if need be take them to Small claims court.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.