Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated Wild Card Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:55 pm

MCO- 1/25-1/28- wildcard deal - only option was crown vic...a lot of them..but still, gas guzzling.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Milage Plan MVP, Hyatt Platinum
I took the gamble in Seattle for a twelve hour rental on 3/26. At the counter, the agent told me I'd be getting a minivan. I asked if anything else was available and she said I could pay $10 extra for a Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry. I said the minivan would be fine. I was pretty bummed because I would have been content with booking the compact for the same price as Wild Card. After typing and clicking into the computer she said she'd go ahead and give me the Fusion for no additional charge. I probably won't try again because I never want to get stuck with a van... I'm sure glad the agent was merciful!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Anybody ever rented a Wild Car from BTV? (Burlington, VT)

Hoping to avoid both the Ford Focus and the Lincoln/Crown Vic...pretty much anything in between would make me happy.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Good Streak--DCA and SEA

Good streak of success with Wild Card at SEA (Jeep Liberty) and DCA (brand new, <50 mile Ford Fusion). Only small disappointment was another DCA 4-dr rental that came with leather seats in the summer heat. Always have received the 1000 UA mile bonus for 3-day rentals with Wild Card.

FWIW--DCA has really turned around (for the better) in the last few months. Some new staff, more car upgrades, better shuttle frequency, and improved off-site facility. ^
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Anybody ever rented a Wild Car from BTV? (Burlington, VT)

Hoping to avoid both the Ford Focus and the Lincoln/Crown Vic...pretty much anything in between would make me happy.
The wild car at BTV would have been a Compact on that date/time. (I phoned from the airport after landing.) Ended up renting from National instead...

It was a Thursday afternoon arrival, 5 day rental.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: UAL, AAL, DAL, NKS, JBU
Rented a wild car on 11/5/11 - 11/12/11 at LAX, dropping off at SFO. Did the wild car, since only that car and the economy had no one-way charge. When we got to the counter, the only thing they offered us was a Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis - talk about a choice! I did have an economy reservation as a backup, but the people I went with didn't want a Focus. I think I would have rather preferred it over that monster. I still can't believe they consider that a "Premium" car.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by matthewsoft
Rented a wild car on 11/5/11 - 11/12/11 at LAX, dropping off at SFO. Did the wild car, since only that car and the economy had no one-way charge. When we got to the counter, the only thing they offered us was a Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis - talk about a choice! I did have an economy reservation as a backup, but the people I went with didn't want a Focus. I think I would have rather preferred it over that monster. I still can't believe they consider that a "Premium" car.
They have pulled the "only have a Crown Vic" on me 2-3 times at DCA, and they always magically come up with something better when I asked politely. YMMV, but I assume more honey (or more vinegar?) probably could have resulted in a better choice to drive away in. Don't bite the Crown Vic line.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
They have pulled the "only have a Crown Vic" on me 2-3 times at DCA, and they always magically come up with something better when I asked politely. YMMV, but I assume more honey (or more vinegar?) probably could have resulted in a better choice to drive away in. Don't bite the Crown Vic line.
Definitely more Honey, if you are really frequent to the location and you are nice (and surprise them sometimes w/ chocolate) they will usually get you a much nicer, newer car for you. (Experience) Otherwise the standard "WildCar" is the crown vic or any other dingy car.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: US Gold; HH Gold
Have had great luck with the Wild Car-SUV in MSY, great upgrades/cars in ORD and BOS. Will avoid at LAX. Was told all Wild Cars automatically receive the Crown Vic. Last one I had was crazy bad!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: no status
I would like to confirm the Minivan at LIH. Had it booked for $238 for 10 days, and they would not budge or negotiate. Walked across the street to Alamo and got a Mazda 3 for $295...
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:35 am
Suspended

Got a crown vic recently at STL.

Hate it, especially the way everyone thinks you are a cop and slows down infront of you. On the other hand, nobody passed me on the interstate either! The car spooks people. The Grand Marquis too.

At least it wasn't yet another Ford Fusion in a series of about 30 in a row over the last 2 years.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:22 am

In YUL minivan was the wild car. I think you can predict by knowing whats happening at the airports. Check the rates at Hertz, Avis, National if they are all cheep for a specific car most likely that will be the wild.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Spun the Wild Card roulette wheel at MIA last week. A whopping $13.00 a day!

Got a Chysler 200 which isn't too bad of a draw.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, No other status because my company hates me.
ALB 8/27/14 - 2014 Kia Soul 10K on it.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:35 am

Question wild Card Reservation & Normal Reservation Together?

Hi everyone, so I just saw the whole wild card thing thrifty is offering. I am traveling to MCO (Orlando) in Oct and saw it was the same price the compact.

Question, what if I was to book 1 reservation as a wild card and then do a separate as a compact? Figure if I get there and the wild card is a mini van or something absurd like a grand marquis I would just use the other compact reservation.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.