Wiki Posts
Search

Is Car Type Guaranteed?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Question Is Car Type Guaranteed?

Reserved a minivan in Miami for next week. Now it is showing sold out- when checking price again. Am I Guaranteed this car type? We cant fit in a smaller car...

any experience with this situation? i just want to be prepared.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
LOL, the reply I just typed up over on the Dollar forum is quite applicable here, too, so I've quoted it below so I don't have to retype the same thing again.

Originally Posted by jackal
Sometimes, a rental car agency will be in an oversale situation (just like airlines and hotels, who also typically slightly overbook due to a relatively consistent no-show factor).

Ultimately, though, as long as you fulfill your end of the agreement (meet all rental qualifications and show up on-time for your reservation [within 2 hours of scheduled pick-up]), it is Dollar's responsibility to accommodate you. If they do not have your reserved car, they should offer you a better car at no additional cost to you. If they do not have anything better to offer, they should make arrangements for a comparable car at another company at no additional cost to you. If no one else has a comparable or better car, Dollar should either offer you a smaller vehicle with appropriate compensation or make other arrangements for your transportation at no cost, minimal hassle, and appropriate compensation to you. That usually takes the form of transporting you to your hotel at their expense and offering to bring the car to you when possible, but I know some managers who have been pretty creative with their solutions to this problem.

You may need to hold their feet to the fire a little bit (be polite but firm) to get what you fairly deserve, but it is ultimately their responsibility to fulfill their obligation to you. Do not let them just tell you, "Sorry, we can't help you."
Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by jackal
LOL, the reply I just typed up over on the Dollar forum is quite applicable here, too, so I've quoted it below so I don't have to retype the same thing again.
"Should" and "legally must" are not necessarily the same. Have you called Thrifty rather than just checking the Web site and posting here? Rental companies can't necessarily guarantee the specific type of car because they don't always know in advance who will rent what, and who will return what, before you show up. Would you accept a larger van if the one you reserved isn't available? Did you pay in advance? An online reservation doesn't count as a legal contract as far as I know. Thrifty can't charge you and then not provide the product or service, but so far that's not even a question. You have just made a reservation, and most rental sites say things like "Chrysler 300 or similar" and/or that they can't guarantee a particualar type of vehicle will be available. If you phone they should be able to tell you if they usually have a large number of vehicles like you reserved (or better). This can vary by location (e.g., airport locations typically have more vehicles). Thrifty may well help you get a vehicle at another company's location if they have nothing, but that doesn't mean they have a legal obligationt od o so or that they would guarantee the rate. You have the ultimate power to rent somewhere else if you don't like what's available when you arrive (I've done that).

People can back out of a rental for no reason (even without notification). I'd phone Thrifty with any concerns. Sure, be insistent, but unless you are in their frequent renter program, your influence may be limited.

Last edited by SoCal; Apr 10, 2012 at 4:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.