Wiki Posts
Search

Intermediate car

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Intermediate car

I will be renting at Miami airport.

What cars do Thrifty have in its Intermediate class?
I can only see a Ford Fusion which I presume is comparable to a Pontiac G6.

Do Thrifty let you choose a car like Alamo does?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by carolem
I will be renting at Miami airport.

What cars do Thrifty have in its Intermediate class?
I can only see a Ford Fusion which I presume is comparable to a Pontiac G6.

Do Thrifty let you choose a car like Alamo does?
Fusion is the big one. Might come across a smattering of others, but Ford is the major supplier for Thrifty now. Fusions get nice reviews.

No, Thrifty doesn't usually let you choose a car, since they need to complete the paperwork inside. I may have heard that a very few Thrifty locations do allow you to select your own car, though.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply.
I think the problem is that in the UK the car rental companies use vague terms which do not always fit in with the USA classifications.

For instance NetFlights have the Ford Fusion as a 4 door Intermediate car but on the Thrifty.com website, the Ford Fusion is a Standard car and this category is not shown on Net Flights option. They have Compact, Intermediate and Full Size etc.

The voucher says Ford Fusion or similar but I don't think the Fusion is viewed as an Intermediate car in Florida. Do you see the confusion and difficulty when booking from the UK.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Well, from what I've seen across the rental industry, the Focus is the compact, the Fusion is the midsize (intermediate), and the Taurus is the fullsize.

On the Thrifty lots I've seen around the country, I usually see the Focus or Dodge Caliber as the compact, the Fusion as the midsize, and the Chevy Malibu or Chevy Impala as the fullsize (I haven't seen too many Tauruses in the Thrifty fleet yet). Standard is kind of an odd car class that's in between midsize and fullsize, but in my experience, if you book a standard, you'll end up with a fullsize, but don't quote me on that.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by jackal
Well, from what I've seen across the rental industry, the Focus is the compact, the Fusion is the midsize (intermediate), and the Taurus is the fullsize.
Well, rental industry minus Enterprise/National/Alamo. Thanks to Enterprise's wacky ways, everything takes on big step to the right. Focus is a Midsize, Fusion is a Standard (and often given out as a Fullsize), and Taurus is a Premium.

Not complaining though really, I usually book Fullsize and would rather take a new Sonata or Fusion - both technically downgrades to Standard - than a bare bones Altima or Impala that reside in Fullsize.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Well, rental industry minus Enterprise/National/Alamo. Thanks to Enterprise's wacky ways, everything takes on big step to the right. Focus is a Midsize, Fusion is a Standard (and often given out as a Fullsize), and Taurus is a Premium.
Hertz lists the Fusion as a Standard as well, IIRC. Focus is a compact; I'm not sure about the Taurus.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Hertz lists the Fusion as a Standard as well, IIRC. Focus is a compact; I'm not sure about the Taurus.
Well, Hertz LISTS the Focus as a Compact, but in practice I've seen Compacts to generally be a Toyota Yaris Sedan. Fusion is indeed a Standard but I haven't seen too many of them at Canadian airports at least. They seem to price Standard and Fullsize the same, so if you book a Standard chances are they'll just give you a Fullsize (Camry, Altima, or Impala usually).
Old May 20, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
I realize this thread is a few months old, but in case anyone out there is still wondering about MIA Thrifty's intermediate offering, it is indeed a Ford Fusion 95% of the time. I travel to MIA every week, and the Fusion is the reason I rent with Thrifty. It is an excellent automobile, and miles ahead of the intermediate offerings from other rental agencies, especially those with primarily GM fleets. Most of the MIA fleet is very new, as well, so I almost always get a car with Sirius still active.
Old May 21, 2011, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat Prem, Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond
In Atlanta intermediate means Chevy Malibu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.