Community
Wiki Posts
Search

recommendation for mobile phone pre-paid service please

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
recommendation for mobile phone pre-paid service please

Hi all

Apologies - I did a couple of searches and nothing came up.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a pre-paid sim service for thailand?

I'll be in Bangkok and will want to make local calls, international sms/text messages plus receive incoming local and international calls.

Making outbound calls international calls would be good provided it is cost effective, but I'm happy with just the ability to receive international.

With thanks in advance

lme ff etc etc
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:34 pm

Check the technology thread - there are some discussions on this.

Short version: I would suggest "AIS's 1-2 Call", available anywhere in Bkk.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 9:13 pm
Suspended

I've used 1-2-Call, and it was decent and very cheap, but I only used it for internal calls inside Thailand. I can't comment on how well it called out or received international calls.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:39 am

I have used DTAC's Happy service (prepaid) for the past several years. Very convenient as I am on a plan that allows me to retain my account and phone number as long as I add value to it at least once a year. http://happy.co.th/en/low/02_1003_simple.php
As for the DTAC system, I have been able to make and receive local and international calls.
I opened the account by going to a DTAC store but you can find mobile phone shops all over Thailand. You will need your passport.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 5:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by canred
I have used DTAC's Happy service (prepaid) for the past several years. Very convenient as I am on a plan that allows me to retain my account and phone number as long as I add value to it at least once a year. http://happy.co.th/en/low/02_1003_simple.php
As for the DTAC system, I have been able to make and receive local and international calls.
I opened the account by going to a DTAC store but you can find mobile phone shops all over Thailand. You will need your passport.

I also recommend DTAC. Buy your SIM card at DTAC store or one of the mobile vendors that are numerous in every shopping mall. You can get top-up cards as cheap as 50 baht at same places. Follow advice above to ensure you have sufficient credit to tide you over to the next trip so that your SIM/number doesn't expire. Depending what promotions are available, calls within Thailand usually run a 1-3 baht/minute. International calls with DTAC mobiles is roughly 7-10 baht/minute if you prefix the number called with 7, 8 or 9. For example, to call UK it would be 00 & 44 ...' The prefix number goes before the international dialing code. There is no charge to you to receive calls. All in all, very competitive and much cheaper than roaming with an overseas SIM.

Also, I expect most other services in Thailand are comparable so you don't necessarily need to use DTAC although it does have good coverage.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 5:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
1-2-Call, DTAC or True, they're all about the same. 1-2-Call has maybe marginally better coverage still. Get your card at any of the little phone shops in shopping malls or BTS stations (JayMart, Telewiz) or on the 4th floor of MBK, where they'll get you set up and make sure your phone is working. If it's SIM-locked, they'll unlock it for a small fee.

007, 008, or 009 will give you calling rates to Oz of something like 5-7 baht per minute. Get Dee Dial and you can have 0.99 baht per minute to a fixed line.
Dial the 007, 008, 009 instead of "+" or 001 as international access code.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by SoCalGreenie
I've used 1-2-Call, and it was decent and very cheap, but I only used it for internal calls inside Thailand. I can't comment on how well it called out or received international calls.
I used it for both calls within Thailand, and international calls to the U.S. No problems in BKK, HKT, Khao Lak, etc. Use 008 or 009 for cheap international calls.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by billp
007, 008, or 009 will give you calling rates to Oz of something like 5-7 baht per minute. Get Dee Dial and you can have 0.99 baht per minute to a fixed line.
Dial the 007, 008, 009 instead of "+" or 001 as international access code.
I've used 007 and 008 with good success on 1-2 Call.

And thanks for the tip on Dee Dial!^^^
Old Jun 30, 2009, 6:22 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
For me it all boils down to which kiosk is open at the airport when I arrive. It takes a few minutes when you arrive and you're jet lagged but saves making an extra trip in town. The 1-2 call booth has been the most convenient.

Jim
Old Jun 30, 2009, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I've been happy with 1-2 Call, cheap and no difficulties with service anywhere in Thailand.

Downside is that you can't just top off electronically, either online or using a credit card through the phone. You have to buy top off cards. They're pretty ubiquitous, you can pick them up at 7-11 and I've seen them without markup in hotel gift shops even. But that's not nearly as nice as a few clicks on the phone.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
I use 1-2 call and it works fine calling the USA and around Thailand ,

But if text messages are important to you I am not sure which one is best ,

I often try sending text messages to Thailand and they never get there, and since text messages do not "bounce back" like emails not delivered , you never know if it gets there or not,

Has anyone been able to send Text messages and they get there ?

Rally
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by rally
I often try sending text messages to Thailand and they never get there, and since text messages do not "bounce back" like emails not delivered , you never know if it gets there or not,

I have AIS 1-2-call in Thailand, and T-mobile in USA. Text between the two is fine. When in Thailand, I have no problem receiving text from Sprint either. When I had USCellular in the USA, most text messages either direction did not go through, and I am 99% sure that this is US Cellular's problem.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Dialing 008 and 009 give much lower rates than 001. 3 baht/min to USA is the current rate, I think. This changes though, sometimes there are promotions. Once you get your 1-2-call SIM card, I suggest just calling 1175 and asking them what is the cheapest way for calling Australia (or whatever country you want to dial). They will tell you what prefix to dial to get the best rate (it might differ based on if you are calling an Australia landline or mobile).

My experience is that DeeDial quality is poor (at least calling from 1-2-call to USA). That was about a year ago that I tried it.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Have used Dtac Happy and Ais 1-2 call. Pretty similar in pricing and availability, but prefer Ais 1-2 call for use with unlocked Blackberry as you can get data download using Opera Mini.
All attempts to use BB with Dtac prepaid for simple data download have failed because of data blocking when the Dtac system recognizes the BB.
Would like to find a solution because I would like to keep my Dtac number.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by rally
I use 1-2 call and it works fine calling the USA and around Thailand ,
Rally
Text to/from local Thai users on 1-2 Call worked fine....most of my clients for some reason prefer to text rather than call. I was using an old SE 810i last few visits, and got lots of practice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.