Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
And Mrs Kalboz approves?!
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:36 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
And Mrs Kalboz approves?!
Mrs. Kalboz was the one who showed me the video first
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Aw...I thought you browsed there with a Sun morning coffee.

Cheers!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:24 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
The flooding continues. The attempts to keep Bangkok from flooding is crippling many central, north and northeast provinces. Bus and train service to Chiang Mai suspended a few days ago. Many roads closed or underwater.

Within the floodgates of Bangkok, it is still OK. But the threat will continue for a few weeks.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
It definitely sounds as if it has been an exceptionally wild - and deadly - wet season.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:35 am

I think it would be better described as an exceptionally mismanaged wet season.

It rains every year, this time there are no master plans, just one city releasing water to save their backyards, while flooding other constituents downstream. Multiplied by umpteen districts and you have a big mess. So far, they are keeping BKK dry, but the other central provinces and half a dozen up-river ones are not fairing so well.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:37 am

And the masterplan to alleviate this is..
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/new/...-30167177.html
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Mont-Fleuri
And the masterplan to alleviate this is..
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/new/...-30167177.html
Hmmm, did the Thaksin clan recently purchase a fleet of boats?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: various
Seriously Though, About Flooding...

I've been trying to follow the news from local Bangkok press and other Thailand expat forum sources, but can't get a handle on what's happening as to flooding in Bangkok itself. Except that an ocean of water is on its way from the north, they expect things to get worse and especially Oct 15-17 when tides are highest. Somewhere I saw a list of all the Bangkok areas they expected to be at risk, and it looks like about 75% of the city is on it.

I've got some Beijing friends scheduled to head there on the 19th, I think, (just to Bangkok city) and they are completely oblivious that they may need to pack waders and a pair of oars. Or postpone. Compared to the upcountry provinces that have already had huge property and crop damage and loss of life (RIP), trip disruption is diddly squat. If the hosts are going to be busy with more important survival and recovery tasks, it seems poor form for guests to show up and impose.

So, to those of you who are resident in or around Bangkok, what's the scoop? Anybody having to evacuate elsewhere? Any news on BKK itself and whether they can keep runways and taxiways clear? (It ain't called Swampy for nothing, after all!)

To same: stay safe and dry. The worst thing about the floods is not so much the water, it's what's in the water and how it flushes out all the sewers and garbage....and then all the critters (rats, snakes, cockroaches) all wanting to share the minimal unflooded parts with you. Yuck.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie
I've been trying to follow the news from local Bangkok press and other Thailand expat forum sources, but can't get a handle on what's happening as to flooding in Bangkok itself.
This site has some decent information... http://thaiflood.com/

You can figure out which areas are most likely to be impacted provided the current control system stays functional.

SBIA should be OK, but the run-off it creates will be a problem for the surrounding communities.

Oct. 16 - 18 are supposed to be the worst in Bangkok. Good news? It's sunny right now!

Train/bus travel to the north is stopped, past Bang Pa In. Not sure when it may resume; train tracks will require significant repair after the floods.

A lot of industrial estates, like Rojana, are off-line and transportation of many items (beer!) into the city from the north are creating some shortages. I guess a lot Tescos have bare shelves!

This article is informative... http://www.nationmultimedia.com/new/...-30167332.html

"Areas of concern include communities along both sides of the Chao Phraya River and those outside the flood embankments, as well as the [low-lying] eastern districts such as Lat Krabang, Min Buri, Nong Chok, and Klong Samwa," the governor said.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by transpac

A lot of industrial estates, like Rojana, are off-line and transportation of many items (beer!) into the city from the north are creating some shortages. I guess a lot Tescos have bare shelves!
I've heard similar things through my better half's friends.

As a side note: I can't be having a beer shortage for my Oct 13th transit. That just won't do.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: no status
Is there any expectation or forecast how long the flood is supposed to last? Are we talking weeks or months?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:06 pm

Bangkok, at this point is not affected with flooding. I was shopping in River City a few days ago. But the situation is tragic in outlying areas.

I will be back in BKK in a few days. Until then, I'm sure others in Bangkok will report if there is any new developments.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Flooding situation summary:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...31434851_n.jpg
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This site is updated daily, details the places in central Bangkok which might flood and has comprehensive links...

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2011/...as-in-bangkok/

An interesting site where you can check the levels in canals...

http://dds.bangkok.go.th/Canal/

I spoke with some family friends who live in Lat Krabang (eastern Bangkok) towards the airport. Water went from ankle deep to shoulder deep in less than 3 hours. When it comes, it comes fast.

Most elevated parking lots are full, especially at shopping malls. I guess parking is free at SBIA and many people moved cars there as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.