Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ft101
Is Citibank still an option for Citibank (or any other) card holders?
Sure - CitiGold will give global ATM refund. Last time the per-withdrawal charge was 220bht but Citibank covered it.

The exchange rate was also solid.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
Is Citibank still an option for Citibank (or any other) card holders?
I imagine it depends on:

your account, and terms and conditions associated with it
the transaction (cash withdrawal or cash advance)
the country your account is based in

You have a CitiBank cash account somewhere? You want to make a cash withdrawal at a Citi ATM in Thailand?

There are plenty of reports that Citi often charges "out-of-network" fees, and foreign transaction fees, no clue if they charge a local fee (150 - 220 baht); I suspect yes, but that's based on second-hand experiences from USA Citi customers using the Citi ATM in Central World.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by transpac
You have a CitiBank cash account somewhere? You want to make a cash withdrawal at a Citi ATM in Thailand?
A mate has an account with Citi in Singapore, but I'm not sure what sort of acccount. He commented on it recently when we were passing the Citibank near Asok BTS station as there was a bank of ATMs there. With them being non Thai, I presumed no Thai Bankers' Association fee, but as you say, the account being used will also affect things.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Sure - CitiGold will give global ATM refund. Last time the per-withdrawal charge was 220bht but Citibank covered it.

Chase (Private Bank), Fidelity and Schwab also rebate ATM fees so there are plenty of options to save $. Nonetheless I try to avoid paying these garbage fees as a matter of principle.
estnet likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia

The exchange rate is determined by the network, not the bank
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:08 pm

I'm not sure how the rate is determined, but I do know that Citibank gave me a slightly better rate for ATM withdrawal than Chase Sapphire Reserve did on purchases made the same day.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME, an ATM withdrawal gets an immediate exchange rate using Visa, since I get an email, in the 10 seconds between entering the amount and getting the cash, with the USD amount. The rate seems to be the Visa rate for the current day, ET.

I got 15,000 THB yesterday (Friday, 25 Jan, 16:40), so 15,150 THB (AEON fee of +150 THB), and was charged $478.93. The page below shows $478.921800, so assume they round everything up. The 150 THB fee (ADJUST FEE CHARGED ATM FEE REBATE (Cash)) credit hasn't posted yet, but expect it might be $4.75-ish? It usually posts within 24 hours.

https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...alculator.html

IME, a Visa CC gets that day's closing figure so the cash withdrawals and CC exchange rates should be the same, but honestly, I haven't looked into it. I don't use MC, but think I've heard they use a different rate?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I'm not sure how the rate is determined, but I do know that Citibank gave me a slightly better rate for ATM withdrawal than Chase Sapphire Reserve did on purchases made the same day.
Do u have some special account so u don't get charged a cash advance fee for atm withdrawal (and ?refund of fee)?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Interesting. Were both transactions using the same interchange network do you know?
I thought that Citibank ATM/debit cards uses Cirrus/Mastercard and the Chase is a Visa card.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:34 pm

I have no idea what interchange network is.

I just take out the card and swipe/insert. In past years, I've brought cash to exchange but since CitiGold went to global ATM fee-refund, it's been easier to use that instead.

It used to be a bigger PITA to get the $100 bills since I had to go into a branch during business hours. Except now that BoA ATM's will dispense it... I no longer need it.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by tide
The exchange rate is determined by the network, not the bank
Not at ATMs.

Here is a link that will provide the exchange rate being offered by each Bank:

Bank foreign currency exchange rates - Compare currency exchange rates across banks
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by estnet
I could have sworn it was 180 when I last did it a few months ago! Just can't believe they can get away with this (altho the evidence clearly proves me wrong)
Yes, it was briefly 180.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:16 am

I have no idea what interchange network is.

It used to be a bigger PITA to get the $100 bills since I had to go into a branch during business hours. Except now that BoA ATM's will dispense it... I no longer need it.
Where are these BoA ATMs?

Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:41 am

The teller-assist BankofAmerica ATMs in the Boston area will dispense $100USD bills.

That was my approach for a couple of years before switching to CitiGold ATM.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:52 am

The teller-assist BankofAmerica ATMs in the Boston area will dispense $100USD bills.

That was my approach for a couple of years before switching to CitiGold ATM.
Thank you for clarifying. I had never seen them in BKK; however, would love to access ATMs that dispense US currency simply to eliminate the additional loss at the Currency Exchanges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.