Reload this Page >

Tipping in Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
<redacted>.

There was never any smugness intended in my statements. Our mores whether we are in North America, South or Central America, Great Britain, Europe or even other Asian societies often do not apply in other countries.

In the U.S., we have a somewhat obnoxious custom of tipping everyone. Certainly there are exceptions, usually those who are at the bottom of the economic totem pole: the McDonalds or Jack in the Box person who may deliver our burger, the cleaning personnel, maybe hotel maids, fast food order takers and many others.

In Australia the tip is a lesser amount because people are paid a living wage.

In Germany, we leave "TrinkGeld"-a few coins normally rounding up to either the nearest whole Euro or perhaps recently as much as 5%.

In Thailand, a tip is not common nor expected. As stated above, it may be viewed as embarrassing or even demeaning.

Having traveled to more than a few places in this wide world, I am not smug about trying to fit in and not to play the role of the tourist. I find that it is easier to fit in and reap certain benefits from this approach. I believe that the U.S. approach to globalization by buying friendship and service is dead wrong. As an individual, I do not buy into it since it only breeds resentment.

In much of Asia personal relationship building, however brief the encounter. eases our stay rather than trying to buy our way in. The original point was that the tip in the case quoted was way out of line with any reasonable expectations.

My mantra, is to try to learn the local customs and do my best to stick with them. Better to be a stranger who appears to appreciate local society than someone leering at others out of a bus window snapping photos of the quaint people living in a foreign place.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 13, 2012 at 11:31 am Reason: redacted deleted post content and personal reply
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:25 pm

Interesting thread, particularly as I plan to visit Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in the upcoming year.

As has been pointed out in various responses a lot of grey area appears to exist when it comes to tipping, particularly as it pertains to people whose interaction is primarily with persons involved in the service industry. The confusion is hardly surprising: Porters and bell hops appear to reside outside the rules; and apparently its okay to round up for cab drivers or on a bar/restaurant bill etc… No wonder the question of whether to tip a butler, hotel driver or a guide has no cast in stone answer.

Provided that travellers or "tourists" as the case may be, treat their hosts with respect. The issue of tipping where inappropriate or tipping too much becomes a relatively trivial matter.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
In the countries you're visiting, nobody's going to give you an evil eye if you don't tip.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SandC
Provided that travellers or "tourists" as the case may be, treat their hosts with respect. The issue of tipping where inappropriate or tipping too much becomes a relatively trivial matter.
I think that's about it. It's your holiday: act within your comfort zone. Really, workers in the tourism industries of the countries you are visiting will cope remarkably well with whatever approach to tipping you adopt.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's your holiday: act within your comfort zone.
Anyone who's spent any time in Thailand knows that this results in stupidity that can only be imagined it if hadn't actually been witnessed.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: Asia Miles, Air NZ Jade
Originally Posted by Braindrain
In the countries you're visiting, nobody's going to give you an evil eye if you don't tip.
I think that's about it.

No need to pay more than the price on the tin.......why would one do otherwise?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Quorthon
I think that's about it.

No need to pay more than the price on the tin.......why would one do otherwise?
Feel good factor ^
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:27 pm
In memoriam

I was staying at the JW Marriott in Bangkok not so long ago. Called down for some ice. Gave the guy who brought it 50 Baht. He looked shocked.

A few minutes later a manager came by and told me that this was not a Thai custom to tip for such a small service (or, apparently, at all). He returned my 50 Baht. I almost fell over.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:38 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I have had around 120 stays at the JW Marriott Bangkok since 2005 and I tip employees who always have taken care of us. The above story has never occurred to us. In fact, I just spoke to one of their managers this morning and he said they never go back to the rooms to return a tip back to any customer ... it is considered rude! Further, Thais themselves round up the change when paying by leaving coins to the service staff ... so it is part of their culture to tip.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I was staying at the JW Marriott in Bangkok not so long ago. Called down for some ice. Gave the guy who brought it 50 Baht. He looked shocked.

A few minutes later a manager came by and told me that this was not a Thai custom to tip for such a small service (or, apparently, at all). He returned my 50 Baht. I almost fell over.
having just spent 12 days in hkt/bkk, I find this hard to believe.
I'm not a big tipper but never was a tip returned/shocked to receive. Always seemd like the norm to me . . . Ususally 100b tip to taxi (on 400b fare), tip to pool stsff at four seasons, 200+ baht for exceptional wait service for our meals.

I styaed at dusit and four seasons - was very happy with the service. Top notch. That said, I believe tipping is customary if not expected in the places I was.

Service in thailand is so much better than North America. Hard to imagine going back now.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Ususally 100b tip to taxi (on 400b fare), tip to pool stsff at four seasons, 200+ baht for exceptional wait service for our meals.
Talk about excessive tipping!!!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
having just spent 12 days in hkt/bkk, I find this hard to believe.
I'm not a big tipper but never was a tip returned/shocked to receive. Always seemd like the norm to me . . . Ususally 100b tip to taxi (on 400b fare), tip to pool stsff at four seasons, 200+ baht for exceptional wait service for our meals.

I styaed at dusit and four seasons - was very happy with the service. Top notch. That said, I believe tipping is customary if not expected in the places I was.

Service in thailand is so much better than North America. Hard to imagine going back now.
Apparently, from those numbers you're putting up, indeed you are a big tipper (and rather oblivious to reality). And I make note that your profile has you from Canada, not the USA.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last night in a 7-11 near my home I was behind a foreigner who bought a pack of Marlboros for 78 baht and he tipped the cashier 22 baht. The cashier looked confused thinking he had given the wrong change.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by transpac
Last night in a 7-11 near my home I was behind a foreigner who bought a pack of Marlboros for 78 baht and he tipped the cashier 22 baht. The cashier looked confused thinking he had given the wrong change.
I would look confused too - that is a new one to me, tipping a cashier in a 7-11.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:19 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by transpac
Maybe he just didn't want to carry the change. Was it a THB 20 bill or 2 THB 10 coins? I have a friend in Singapore that doesn't do coins so any time he's given coins he just leaves them there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.