Search

Political Situation 2008 - Impacts on Travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Political Situation 2008 - Impacts on Travel

Political Situation 2008 – Impacts on Travel

We started discussions on this topic in another thread (Holiday Inn Ploenchit) but I suspect we’ll be needing a separate thread to stay up to date.

I wouldn’t have thought the PAD would resort to actions intended to harm the tourism industry but apparently they are desperate to provoke the government/military/police into violence in an attempt to overthrow the government.

Evidently PAD protesters are blocking access to airports at Phuket and Hat Yai (maybe Krabi also?). Additionally there is a rail strike affecting trains to the North and Northeast.

A couple of stories...

Anti-govt protests spread to provinces
By The Nation

The People's Alliance for Democracy's calls for a nationwide uprising has triggered sporadic protests in many provinces, with large numbers of people believed to be planning to join the defiant sit-in at Government House.

Protests have been staged at the Hat Yai and Phuket airports, causing inconvenience to travellers but there were no reports yet of flight cancellation. This added to the PAD-engineered railway strike which involved work stoppage by 240 workers and cancelled 35 train routes as of Friday.
THAI union leaders have encouraged the national airline workers to "take leave" in support of the PAD. The movement's sympathisers in Trat, Trang and Kanchanaburi were said to be planning to travel to Bangkok to join the Government House protest.

State enterprises' worker associations, who are the PAD's key allies, were also discussing more measures to increase pressure on the government. The measures could involve electricity and water works employees.
Emails were circulated yesterday apologising the public for "inconvenience" caused by PAD's moves.

Opposition and Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and 10 senators visited anti-
government protesters on Friday afternoon and made a strong plea for both the government and its political rivals to refrain from voilence.

The protesters have retaken full control of Government House, driving out police who had penetrated parts of the compound earlier Friday.
Skirmishes at Government House entrances and bigger scuffles at the nearby Makkawan Bridge left some protesters injured. Abhisit said he visited protesters at the Makkawan Bridge because he was concerned by reports of the clashes.

He called on Parliament to convene an urgent session to address the growing political crisis. Bangkok senator Rosana Tositrakul led other 9 senators to visit the protesters at Government House. The Senate earlier on Friday interrupted its normal session and went into an urgent debate after police's clashes with anti-government protesters brought political tension to new heights.
ASTV, the cable TV station belonging to the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy, repeatedly replayed incidents at the Makkawan Bridge. Footages of scuffles and some protesters being assaulted, as well as blood-stained clothes were shown to home audience as protest leaders encamping inside Government House urged more people to join their protest.
ASTV repleatedly ran traffic advices on how to get to Government House.
Tension, which decreased on Thursday after Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej vowed a non-violent approach, rose again Friday. PAD sympathisers were making phone calls to friends, colleagues and relatives, some discussing plans to join the Government House sit-in.
There have been no reports of serious injuries from the Makkawan Bridge incidents. Nonetheless, what happened there was thought to be backfiring against the government as the PAD sought to bounce back from a major set-back to its image.
On Tuesday, PAD hardline members stormed the government-owned NBT station, briefly controlling it and terrifying news staffs. The invaders left the facility at last but the incident was a major blow to the movement's reputation.
The circulating emails said the PAD regretted the incident. They also said the protesters didn't mean to harm anyone. "We are fighting on your behalf and we are sorry for any inconvenience," the emails said.
The Senate cut short its routine session earlier on Friday and started a debate on the political tension. Many senators called for their colleagues to travel to the protest site in order to ensure there was no violence erupted.
Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva is consulting with Senate Speaker Prasopsuk Boondet to convent a House-Senate session to debate the issue.
Policemen in full riot gears moved into the back of Government House in the morning to post the eviction order and removed protesters on the grounds. They also cleared the protest site at Makawan Rangsan Bridge which the People's Alliance for Democracy vacated earlier in the morning to move to Government House.
Police seemed to gain control of the bridge, Rajadamnoen Nok Avenue and the Mitsakawan intersection.
The PAD-led rally on the lawn in front of the Thai Khu Fah Building at the frontal of Government House continued Friday without interruption.

The Nation

Airports heighten security alert
By The Nation
Published on August 29, 2008
Airports allow presence of protesters but tighten security. THAI sources no flights have been effected but passengers have to endure some inconveniences

All passengers would go under random baggage check after stepping into the passenger terminals.

Serirat Prasutanond, acting president of AOT, said that the higher alert follows the intelligence reports that the protesters would take control of airports.

AOT operates four international airports in Phuket, Hat Yai, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

While protesters blocked the entrances and exits at Hat Yai Airport, some also blocked the entry into Phuket Airport.

Airports of Thailand Plc, the operator of Suvarnabhumi Airport and four international airports in provinces, on Friday has switched the Level 3 security alert system which was normally deployed during festivals, following reports of anti-government protesters' seize of several provincial airports.

There are reports that more protesters are heading towards the Krabi Airport, which is under the supervision of the Civil Aviation Department.

It was reported that more police officers are dispatched to Chiang Mai Airport. The airport director could not be reached for comment.

Latest information showed that passengers have minor inconveniences in travelling in and out airports, but all flights were still be able to be coming in and out of the airports.
Anti-government protesters have blocked two of three major international airports in the south amid growing fears simmering political trouble in Bangkok could spread to major provinces.

Hundreds of protesters arrived at the Phuket International Airport with vehicles. They then blocked the entrances and exits of the airport.

More people were expected to come to the airport to join the protest which was intensified after police dispersed protesters in Bangkok.
Earlier anti-government protesters blocked entrances and exits at the Hat Yai airport with some 100 vehicles, amid growing fears simmering political trouble in Bangkok could spread to major provinces.
Railway union workers have already staged a strike to show support for the protestors at the Government House, starting Thursday evening with a rail service stoppage at the Nakhon Rachasima in the Northeast and Nakhon Sawan in the North.

According to the Manger website, about 500 protesters were staging a rally at the Hat Yai airport. The anti-government website said the airport would soon be "inaccessible".
A THAI source told The Nation some flights to Hat Yai have already been "re-directed". No information was immediately available.
Sathorn Sinpru, leader of the railway union at the State Railway of Thailand at Nakhon Rachasima, said yesterday that more than 100 members of the union, including 40 train drivers, submitted their leave starting at 5:00 pm, thus paralysing all the train service from the Northeast to Bangkok.
He said the union workers in Nakhon Rachasima along with the union workers elsewhere have already submitted their leave.
Effective today, all the trains going into Bangkok will suspend their service because of the strike. The Nakhon Sawan train carrying cargo and oil stopped service at 4:00 pm, while the Kaengkoi, Saraburi service also ceased the service at 5:00 pm.
Sathorn warned commuters not to board the train from Bangkok to the Northeast as they will be left stranded along the way.
Nakhon Rachasima is the rail juncture to the Northeast.
The railway union workers' strike is aimed at showing support to the protestors in Bangkok, who have taken over the Government House over the past four days.
Sathorn said the union workers' welfare have never been looked after by the government and that they are concerned about the security of the protestors inside the Government House, who might be stormed by the police.
Local police at Nakhon Rachasima, the largest province of the Northeast, interrogated the labour union workers about the strike, but the labour union workers told them that they had no intention to destroy the government properties as claimed.
Sawit Kaewwan, secretary-general of the Confederation of State Enterprise Labour Union, said the work stoppage is part of a civil disobedience against the Samak government.
"Over the next two days, things would become clearer over the extent of the railway strike. In principle, we would like the strike to affect the commuters minimally. Most of the long-haul train will suspend its service, while the shorter routes might continue their service," he said.
Sawit said the railway union workers will consult with the electricity and water labour unions over further strike to deprive the government of their service.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You can read the latest news stories at one of the two English-language dailes:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/
Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Obviously its a fluid situation but I did see this post from an NBT reporter on another forum...

"Our own website is currently down, probably due to overload.
According to our reporter at Phuket airport, a number of protestors who got into Phuket Airport are now in the car park of the airport with increasing numbers of protestors outside. Tourists can still get in by foot only from the intersection 1 kilometre away near the newer road or bypass to Thepkrasatri Road. The arrival passengers also have to walk to same area. However some tour companies are arranging to meet their passengers at a back gate near staff housing.
Flights are still operating from/to Phuket airport.

Krabi Airport: about 400 protestors got through a fence into the airport’s ground near runway, and Krabi Governor is negotiating with the group to prevent any disturbance to flights. The schedules are quiet at the moment with next flight due at 6pm.

1645 Phuket Airport is forced to suspend all flights as the PAD members are now in the runway area and terminal. Some 100 university students have also joined the protests.

1708: PAD members now agree to move out from the Phuket Airport terminal and runway area to state their protest outside on the road in front of Phuket Airport after the provincial authority agreed to suspend all the flights."
Old Aug 29, 2008, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I was going to start a thread... I'm leaving for BKK tomorrow.

The real question is: Should I be concerned for my own safety? I think I will be fine as it stands.....

The military and gov't have taken a hands-off approach and there seems to be a willingness to let this thing work itself out without guns but with the protests escalating, I can't help but wonder it that will remain the same since Gov't is barely going to function when their offices are occupied.

The storming of the airport at HKT and an AP article saying that the Police HQ in Bangkok was also being overrun by protesters signals that this is taking a very dangerous turn.

I'm not concerned right now despite departing 24hrs from now. I also don't believe that the gov't will use guns on their own people to clear those buildings due to the sheer amount of media in Bangkok.

I'm taking off from ORD via PVG tomorrow. If I get stuck in PVG, so be it. I've been there before although I do not particularly like the city. I'm on an award, perhaps UA could re-route me if the airport is closed. I do have a Chinese visa.

I'll cross that bridge when I get there.....

ps: On a personal note, I actually find this entire situation entirely fascinating. I was a Poli Sci major (and a former Sociology major) and "people power" and popular movements were one of my favorite topics. I'm pretty naive in many ways and might happen to find myself in the wrong place at the wrong time but I'm going to make a conscious effort to avoid any place where protests are held.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I'm currently in Bangkok and really haven't noticed any affects of the political unrest in the areas that I am currently working in. I've been here since Aug. 18 and things are just as normal now as they were before the protests.

However, I am scheduled to fly to HKT on Sunday and after reading these reports I'm a bit nervous about what will be in store for me at the Phuket airport. I'm beginning to wonder if I should cancel my trip and just head back to the States.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:11 am
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Thanks for the update LucWise - I am headed to BKK tomorrow, and at this time, I don't have any plans to postpone the trip. I'm am not travelling outside of BKK once I get there, so hopefully things will stay sane.

But I am ready to turn this trip into a pure mileage run if I have to. If things start taking a turn for the worse by the time I get there, I'll turn around and head home. Hopefully it won't come to that. Oh well - I'm just going to stay flexible.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:30 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
If things get messy in Bangkok, which I seriously doubt, then I'd head down to Hua Hin and enjoy the beach at the Hyatt or Sheraton resorts. It is a drive so no concerns about airports or trains.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:57 am

Potentially helpful information from U.K. FCO

While the U.S. State Department has yet to update its travel information page for Thailand, the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office has included information on its page for the country.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yosithezet
If things get messy in Bangkok, which I seriously doubt, then I'd head down to Hua Hin and enjoy the beach at the Hyatt or Sheraton resorts. It is a drive so no concerns about airports or trains.
I'd personally recommend the Hilton or the Sofitel in Hua Hin. Mainly because they are right in the center of Hua Hin, and the Hyatt and Sheraton are much further removed from everything else.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL/silver
according to simon43 who is in HKT as we speak the airpot is reopened--he posted on www.thaivisa.com a lot of info there but get ready for a lot of opinions
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I'm scheduled to stay at the Hilton and have a non-refundable reservation. I called them about a possible refund and they are waiting until the last possible moment to grant me my request for a refund. They asked me to call back at 5 p.m. local time for a decision. At this point I have not yet decided if I will go to HKT tomorrow or not, I will likely make my decision this evening depending on news reports. However, I am leaning toward canceling the trip regardless of whether or not I get a refund on the hotel.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by civicmon
I was going to start a thread... I'm leaving for BKK tomorrow.

The real question is: Should I be concerned for my own safety? I think I will be fine as it stands.....
I think you should always be concerned for your own safety, no matter where you are, or what you are doing.

I think the following advice from the linked British FCO website is spot on:

"Major demonstrations are taking place in central Bangkok. There have been outbreaks of violence between the police and protestors, including some use of tear gas. There is the possibility of further violent clashes. You should exercise caution, avoiding any demonstrations or large gatherings of people. You should also keep yourself informed of developments, including by regularly checking this advice and the media. See the Political Situation section of this advice for more details."

Even in the violent and bloody clashes of 1973 and 1992 no foreigners were killed, although some may have been injured. So stay away from any known protest gatherings, and be alert for new ones popping up.

I can't figure out if flights to/from HKT are operating as of Saturday morning here. It sounds like some flights might have been operated but not sure how long that will continue. It also sounds like the protesters agreed to leave HKT when they were promised the airport would remain closed, but have said they will return if the airport is re-opened.

I guess I'd recommend that people re-consider travel plans to HKT, just to avoid getting stranded.

Last edited by transpac; Aug 29, 2008 at 9:56 pm
Old Aug 29, 2008, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Note that the TG union leadership is calling for its members to take their allotted two-days sick time which could have an impact on TG flight operations.

Tourism at risk as three airports closed,
By The Nation
Published on August 30, 2008

Airline union urges strike. Travellers disrupted at Phuket, Krabi and Hat Yai; THAI staff may join protest

The labour union of Thai Airways International (THAI) is calling on its 15,000 members to join in protests against the government, while the tourism sector is concerned about security and its future business.

The groups are responding to a series of strikes in Bangkok and in the provinces.

People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) proฌtesters yesterday blocked the entrances of two major airports, Phuket and Hat Yai.

THAI labour union chief Chamsri Sukchotrat said the union would counter the government by urging its 15,000 members to go on strike as the government had attacked the people.

"The government has violated the rights of the people and broken a promise that it would not use force. We call on our 15,000 members from every department to exercise their right to take two days' sick leave without a doctor's certificate," she said.

Strikes at state companies are illegal in Thailand but workers can circumvent the law by reporting sick.

Serirat Prasutanond, acting president of Airports of Thailand (AOT), ordered three airฌports - Phuket, Hat Yai and Krabi - closed between 5pm and 9pm yesterday. As a result, many thousands of tourists had travel plans affected.

Thai Air Asia cancelled all flights into the region.

Phuket Tourist Association president Somboon Jirayus admitted that the anti-government protesters' seizure of Phuket Airport had affected the image of tourism, because passengers could not access convenient entrance and departure facilities.

He added that tourism in the South would be affected if the seizure continued.

Many tourists who could not get flights at Phuket Airport said they would not return to Thailand, as they were afraid of violence.

Around 4pm, airport officials negotiated with key members of the Phuket antigovernment protests in an attempt to solve the problems. The protest leaders had different views - some wanted to allow passengers normal services as they were concerned for tourism in the province, while others wanted to close the airport.

Hat Yai-Songkhla Hotel Association president Somchart Pimthanapoonphol said the matter might not affect tourism in the province because Hat Yai Airport had no international flights.

He was more concerned that the antigovernment groups might move to close Sadao disฌtrict, because the district is located on the border of Malaysia and is the main route for Malaysian and Singaporean travellers.

AOT, the operator of Suvarnabhumi Airport and four international airports in the provinces - Phuket, Hat Yai, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai - yesterday switched to a Level 3 security alert which is normally imposed during festivals, following reports of the seizure of several provinฌcial airports. All passengers would undergo random baggage checks after stepping into the passenger terminals.

Serirat said the higher alert followed intelligence reports that the protesters would seek to take control of airports.

While 1,000 protesters blocked the entrances and exits at Hat Yai Airport early yesterday afterฌnoon, vehicles could not access the terminal to transport tourists.

As protesters blocked entry to Phuket Airport, there were reports that more protesters were heading towards Krabi Airport, which is under the supervision of the Civil Aviation Department.

Protesters started gathering in front of Phuket Airport at noon, after police tore down the People's Alliance for Democracy's main stage at Makkhawan Bridge in Bangkok. Phuket Airport director Vicha Noenlop said prior to the blockade that it should not lead to unpleasant events, as all problems could be discussed.

Around 3pm, it was reported that more police officers were dispatched to Chiang Mai Airport.

Association of Thai Travel Agents president Apichart Sankary said the protesters had not blocked flights, only airport entrances. Their actions had not therefore led to violence, as they only unconvinced inbound and outbound tourists. However, he said, the association would wait and watch the situation but he believed that the protests at airports would affect tourism in the short term.

He added that he hoped the matter would end before September 15, which is the start of the high season for tourism. Otherwise, tourism operators might suggest tourists move to other areas such as Pattaya and Hua Hin instead.

Somchok Chanthong, communications coordinator for the Mae Moh power plant in Lampang and a People's Alliance for Democracy leader in the North, said that if more police were deployed to crush antigovernment protesters at Makkhawan Bridge and Government House, he was ready to lead supporters in the North to shut down the plant.

"If the government does not stop resorting to violent methods and proceeds to dissolve the gatherings, we will immediately block the power plant and ask that as a protest all staff stop generating power. We expect the staff to lend us their cooperation," he said.

According to the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, which operates the power plant, Mae Moh has a capacity of 2,000 megawatts, or slightly less than 10 per cent of Egat's total capacity.

Yutana Tapcharoen, governor of the State Railway Authority (SRT), said yesterday that the strike by railway staff had cost the authority Bt3 million in just one day.

About 240 SRT employees - 10 per cent of the agency's staff - took sick leave on Thursday and yesterday, which led to 106 train services being cancelled. The SRT has 240 trains in operation every day. He added that the agency would take urgent measures to prevent the situation from escalating.

The SRT has already set up a committee to study the reasons for the strike, which he believed stemmed from political motivations.

Prakit Shinamourphong, president of the Thai Hotels Association, said operators were concerned about the political turmoil.

"It is too soon to calculate the effect on hotel and tourism businesses, but operators are not happy with the situation," said Prakit. He added that businessmen who planned to join an interฌnational conference - ITU Telecom Asia, which is scheduled for Bangkok next week - might cancel their attendance if the situation worsens.

Charles Morris, general manager of the Peninsula Hotel Bangkok, said some overseas tourists, particularly from the United States and Europe, would be worried over the situation in Thailand and would be reconsidering their travel plans during the high season between October and January.

However, the number of visitors from Asian countries, especially businessmen, is expected to increase from last year's level.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:17 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum AMBASSODOR, HHNOURS Gold, Krisflyer Member, SPG Gold Member
Woah!! this is so scary....!!
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:57 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Hundreds of Aussies stranded in Thailand

Hundreds of Australian travellers remain in limbo in Thailand after protesters seeking to overthrow the government have forced the closure of three airports.

The resort island of Phuket was the first airport to shut its doors, followed by Krabi and Hat Yai in the country's south as protests spread across the country on Friday.

Jetstar diverted its Sydney-Phuket flight to Bangkok on Friday night.

A spokeswoman says Australian passengers booked on the return flight, from Phuket to Sydney, had been provided with accommodation as they wait for the airport to re-open.

The spokeswoman could not specify how long the 265 passengers will have to wait.
I am sure this is affecting all nationalities but the media does tend to focus on our own kind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.