Wiki Posts
Search

Which airline should I pick?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Which airline should I pick?

I'll be using J award tix to fly into Singapore on SQ. I need to buy SIN-BKK-Krabi-CEI (Chiang Rai) - SIN, most likely in coach. I'm thinking buy 1 roundtrip on either SQ or Thai Air for SIN - BKK. Then use the Thai Discovery Pass for BKK-Krabi-CEI-BKK.

My question -
Which airline for SIN-BKK roundtrip? Thai $230. SQ $300. Tiger $140. Air Asia $144. SQ has slightly better connection time over Thai. Tiger has much longer layover. And will it be cheaper if I buy from Thai along with the pass?
Does it make any sense to fly business for such trip? Online price seems very high.

Discovery Pass says I can fly to 3 destination. Am I right that it's not 3 segment? Cause there is no direct flight from Krabi to CEI, I have to go thru BKK.

Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Have you considered this?

http://www.staralliance.com/en/trave...n_airpass.html
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:38 am
Original Poster

It says "sold in conjunction with travel to and from Asia, starting in USA on any Star Alliance services, visiting Asia on an international flight.". I used DL miles to book a SQ award flights from US, not sure if it's qualified.

Edit : Answer my own question. The Star Alliance Asian Airpass is not to be sold in connection with bonus programme tickets, other award, ID/AD or free tickets.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by adamak
My question -
Which airline for SIN-BKK roundtrip? Thai $230. SQ $300. Tiger $140. Air Asia $144. SQ has slightly better connection time over Thai. Tiger has much longer layover. And will it be cheaper if I buy from Thai along with the pass?
Does it make any sense to fly business for such trip? Online price seems very high.

Thanks.
It's literally 2 hr hop each way. If you fly Air Asia, keep in mind it's like Southwest airlines, no assigned seats, you just line up and pile in. Not sure re Tiger but probably same.

Friend of mine has taken Air Asia and used his savings to pay for his hotel in Bkk He said it was ok, nothing to rave over.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:15 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
You can now Buy Priority Preboarding Pass on Air Asia 200 Baht - $6, also you need to be looking at which Bangkok Airport BKK or DMK is used by the respective flights especially if this involves connections.

You might want to try www.p2ptravel.com for Discount fares from SIN on TG, CX and SQ

Last edited by UncleDude; Aug 7, 2007 at 11:27 am
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
I'll be using J award tix to fly into Singapore on SQ. I need to buy SIN-BKK-Krabi-CEI (Chiang Rai) - SIN, most likely in coach. I'm thinking buy 1 roundtrip on either SQ or Thai Air for SIN - BKK. Then use the Thai Discovery Pass for BKK-Krabi-CEI-BKK.

My question -

Discovery Pass says I can fly to 3 destination. Am I right that it's not 3 segment? Cause there is no direct flight from Krabi to CEI, I have to go thru BKK.

Thanks.
Why don't you use the J award to get you all the way to BKK, then buy tickets from there? Better yet, depending on where you want to do your stopovers, book XXX-SIN-BKK-KVB, with the stopover in BKK, from which you can do you BKK-CEI-BKK side trip...
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by as219
Why don't you use the J award to get you all the way to BKK, then buy tickets from there? Better yet, depending on where you want to do your stopovers, book XXX-SIN-BKK-KVB, with the stopover in BKK, from which you can do you BKK-CEI-BKK side trip...

Because it only allows 1 stopover, and I'm stopping over in HKG.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
You may also want to consider LX (Swiss Air Lines) if their schedule works for you. They have very attractive prices in both Y and C on the SIN-BKK and BKK-SIN sectors of their ZRH-BKK-SIN-BKK-ZRH flights.

Must be booked via the Singapore website:

http://www.swiss.com/countries/SG/lo...x?bbaMarket=SG
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
It's literally 2 hr hop each way. If you fly Air Asia, keep in mind it's like Southwest airlines, no assigned seats, you just line up and pile in. Not sure re Tiger but probably same.

Friend of mine has taken Air Asia and used his savings to pay for his hotel in Bkk He said it was ok, nothing to rave over.
Just completed a round trip BKK-URT (near Koh Samui) on Air Asia yesterday. Its exactly what was said, no frills, but a fine airline. If price is your biggest factor, go with Air Asia. I sprang for the "Xpress Boarding" and it was worth it for the full flight on the way there, not worth it for the half-full flight on the way back.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:30 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Just one word of caution about AirAsia - their baggage allowance is just 15kg (33 lbs), if your bag weighs more than that, you'll pay extra. You may want to include that in your calculations.

Cheers,

Alex
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Thx for Swiss suggestion, but it won't work. The BKK-SIN is at 4:20pm, I won't get to BKK until 5pm. And thanks for the Air Asia's tip. I guess that one is out too.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Because it only allows 1 stopover, and I'm stopping over in HKG.
Ah, you didn't mention that little detail in the OP...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.