Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand for two weeks Jan 05-Jan19

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Thailand for two weeks Jan 05-Jan19

Hello guys,
Since I know that we have experts here, can someone recomend me a good itinerary for the 13-14 days that I will have there.....will be flying to BKK w SQ...BKK is my starting point and I think 4 to 5 days should be enough in BKK

thank you in advance
AD
Old Jul 11, 2007, 1:20 pm

Maybe you can provide more info about yourself.

1) Are you a backpacker?
2) Do you want to stay at 5-star places?
3) Do you dive?
4) Do you want outdoor adventure?
5) Do you want beaches or mountains or urban or rural areas?
6) Do you want to visit other countries in SEA?
7) What is your budget?
8) Shopping?
9) Cooking classes?
10) Interested in history and culture?
11) Interested in clubs, discos, live music, etc?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Here is some more info.....I have removed some of the things that I am not intestested and added some comments to others

2) Will stay at some 5-star places, but will be selective
4) Outdoor adventure is always appreciated
5) Beaches(only few days), mountains and rural areas are good
6) Do you want to visit other countries in SEA=was thinking to stay in Thailand but wouldnt ro Malaysia
7) What is your budget=$6000-$7000
10) Interested in history and culture=Yes

Thank you again....

Originally Posted by glob99
Maybe you can provide more info about yourself.

1) Are you a backpacker?
2) Do you want to stay at 5-star places?
3) Do you dive?
4) Do you want outdoor adventure?
5) Do you want beaches or mountains or urban or rural areas?
6) Do you want to visit other countries in SEA?
7) What is your budget?
8) Shopping?
9) Cooking classes?
10) Interested in history and culture?
11) Interested in clubs, discos, live music, etc?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by divjan
Hello guys,
Since I know that we have experts here, can someone recomend me a good itinerary for the 13-14 days that I will have there.....will be flying to BKK w SQ...BKK is my starting point and I think 4 to 5 days should be enough in BKK

thank you in advance
AD
As glob99 pointed out, the choice really depends on your interests and budget.

However, I would recommend at least a few days in northern Thailand. The Anantara Golden Triangle Resort near Chiang Rai has wonderful elephant riding (mahout) courses which are just amazing. The resort itself is a solid 4 star place with rather reasonable prices and nice suites. You can also take cooking classes or trips to see the hill tribes or go over to Myanmar for a day. If you want a truly top of the line experience with the same type of activities and money is no object, you could go for the Four Seasons Chiang Rai. Just don't miss the ellies...

Another unique experience would be flying to Siam Riep in Cambodia and seeing Angkor Wat -- the place is just stunning.

My suggestion for two weeks would be:

4-5 nights in BKK
4-7 nights in Northern Thailand
3-4 nights at Angkor Wat

Cheers,
T.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:37 pm

Itinerary suggestions for central and north Thailand

Here is a long itinerary of Central to North Thailand divided into SEGMENTS. You can decide which segments you would like and which ones to leave out. These are the things Ning and I like to do and have done but not all at one time. You can easily do much of this on your own or hire a local guide and/or driver in each area as we do.

SEGMENT “A”
Day 1,
Arrive in Bangkok and transfer to your hotel.

Day 2,
At 8:30 AM travel by private long tail boat through the city canals to see how the local Thai people live along the river. We then visit the Royal Grand Palace, Wat Po, and Wat Arun (the Temple of dawn). We will have a nice lunch at restaurant on the river then visit Vinmanmek Mansion return to your hotel.

SEGMENT “B”
Day 3,
Today travel to Khanchanaburi by train at 7:45 AM arriving at the River Kwai Bridge around 10:30 and visit Kwai Bridge, WWII Memorial and Death Railroad. Overnight in Khanchanaburi. Option: go by private vehicle and return to Bangkok the same day or spend the evening and continue.

Day 4,
Today we visit the Tiger Temple and Erawin waterfalls and lunch before returning to Bangkok or before departing by air conditioned bus or private vehicle for Ayutthaya and overnight.

SEGMENT “C”
Day 5,
Today visit the ancient capital of Ayutthaya and return to Bangkok. or then board the 4PM train to Pitsanulok and overnight.

Day 6,
Today visit the Boathouse Museum showcasing the daily life of people living in boathouses. The house boat serves as a signature of Phitsanulok. From north to south along both sides of the Nan River, house boats and rafts are lined up, creating a unique perspective. We then visit Wat Phra Si Mahathat to see Phra Phutthachinnarat is considered the most beautiful Buddha image in Thailand. The large Sukhothai-style bronze statue was cast in 1357. The statues unique feature is the flame-like halo a symbol of spiritual radiance. In 1931, a gold coating of the image was added. Tonight you will enjoy the famous Flying Morning Glory Restaurant. Cooks stir fry this delicious plant then toss it high in the air to waiters who catch it on a plate then server it to you. Overnight here in Pitsanulok.

Day 7
Today visit Buranathai Buddha Casting Foundry and the Sgt. Maj. Dr. Thavis Museum. Here you will witness skilled craftspersons working on the reproduction of Phra Buddha Chinnarat images. It is possible to actually walk along the production line to see the whole bronze-casting process. In addition, huge Buddha images are also cast here. The museum is definitely the place for those wishing to learn more about the Thai lifestyle. Step inside a group of Thai pavilions and explore a private collection of antique items representing Thai rural life. They include indigenous arts, pottery, farming and trapping equipment and household items. Old photographs revealing Phitsanulok's good old days are also on display. The foundry is open on Wednesday through Sunday from 8.30 a.m. to 4.30 P.M. Overnight train to Bangkok or board the 14:14 train to the small mountain town of Den Chai arriving at 17:10. Here you will be greeted by your host Thai family where you will enjoy helping prepare dinner and the evening.

SEGMENT “D”
Day 8
Today you have many choices. You can work in the fields with the family, hike in the teakwood forest in the mountains, or just hang out in this old traditional Thai village with your guide. We will then take the 15:53 train to Lampang for the evening arriving at 18:20.

Day 9
This morning we will visit the Elephant Conservation Center where you can bath and ride the elephants. We will then have lunch and visit the ceramic kilns Lampang is famous for. We then take the 17:43 train to Chiang Mai. We will greet you at the train station in Chiang Mai and take you to you hotel.

SEGMENT “E”
Day 10
We then depart Chiang Mai by private vehicle for Doi Inthanon National Park. We will visit the summit by vehicle of the highest mountain in Thailand and walk the Michael Trail. We have lunch then go to the Hmong Hill Tribe Market for fresh fruits to eat and vegetables to cook this evening. We then walk around the Karen Hill Tribe village and school. Overnight will be in a private bamboo bungalow with private toilet and shower near the Karen village.

Day 11
Today hike for 3 hours visiting a beautiful waterfalls, have lunch and return to Chiang Mai for the evening.

SEGMENT “F”
Day 12
This morning visit Wat Prathat Doi Suthep located high on the mountain overlooking the city. We will then have lunch and visit the handicraft factories that have been an important part of Chaing Mai culture for hundreds of years. Tonight you will enjoy a traditional Khantoke dinner with Thai music and dance, return to your hotel.

SEGMENT “G”
Day 13
pick up at your hotel in Chiang Mai and drive through unspoiled villages in the Mae Teang area. Lunch will be served, then prepare yourselves to go on the rafting. At our camp you'll be outfitted with helmets and life jackets. After our staff brief you about the instruction on paddling and river safety. We will then experience a unique and unforgettable journey through winding gorges, luscious jungles, and magnificent terraced rice fields. Paddle through breathtaking canyons for unparalleled fun on the river. At the finish point, enjoy a shower and coffee break before return your hotel.

SEGMENT “H”
Day 14
Today we will depart Chiang Mai at 9 am by private vehicle with guide and
visit the Hill Tribe Museum then on to a quiet elephant camp for an Ox cart for a 20 minute ride. We will have lunch then a 1 and 1/2 hour elephant ride through streams and over mountains near a Lisu hill tribe village. We then walk about 100 yards to the village. Everything will be brought to the bungalow where you will spend the evening with your guide and host villagers. You will take a 1 hour hike around the jungle near the village a see how they harvest fruit and vegetables from the jungle for you to try. Tonight (weather permitting) the villagers will play traditional music and you can dance with them around the camp fire. There is no electricity in the village but clean toilet and shower (cold water is available. Overnight and dinner at your bungalow in the village.

Day 15
This morning return to the elephant camp by walking 100 yards then by vehicle. Here we will have breakfast. We then travel to Chiangdao Cave Shrine for a 1-hour walk through the caves. We will travel through Fang Valley which is the second largest rice producing area in Thailand. Here we will stop and visit a rice mill then on to the quiet small town of Thaton located on the Mae Kok River for the evening. We will visit beautiful Wat Thaton temple located on top of the mountain with an excellent view of the valley below, The Mae Kok River and Burma. Overnight at beautiful Garden Home bungalows in Thaton (family bungalow on the river). Tonight we will enjoy a wonderful all you can eat Northern Thai food at a most famous restaurant for locals in the area.

Day 16
This morning go high into the mountains to visit Doi Mae Salong Chinese village and hill tribe market with lunch at a Chinese restaurant. From here visit other hill tribe villages a including a Shan village famous for it’s cotton weaving and a Lahu hill tribe village. We then travel to Chiang Rai for a late for lunch by long tail boat stopping at a Akha hill tribe village and hot springs along the way. Return to Chiang Mai, flight to Bangkok or Overnight in Chiang Rai.

SEGMENT “I”
Day 17
This morning visit the Golden Triangle and take a private speed boat ride to a small village in Laos (no visa needed). We then have lunch and visit the ancient Lanna Thai Capital of Chiang Sean. Return to Chiang Rai and your hotel or Chiang Mai or flight to Bangkok.

Day 18
Today after breakfast transfer you to the airport in Chiang Rai for your flight to Bangkok, Krabi, Phuket, or Samui changing planes in Bangkok.

Have fun,
Randy and Ning
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
I definitely echo Thalassa's recommendation re: Angkor Wat. I think it is one of the must-see's (perhaps THE must-see) of SE Asia, especially if you will not be back again any time in the near future. I've visited Thailand more than a dozen times in recent years, and the sidetrip to Angkor Wat is still the highlight of all those trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.