Reload this Page >

Catching a Taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This archived thread is closed to posting.

A detailed wikipost can be found in the current thread at
Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [2014 onward]
Print Wikipost

Catching a Taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by BKKROP
AoT limos must be feeling all this hassling too, last trip I noticed they have a booth inside near baggage collection and were offering cars for 750. I was so determined not to pay 400 for a taxi, that I forgot what evryone here had told me was the "right" fare so when the taxi driver said 300 and i said with all tolls included, he agreed and I felt as if I had achieved something only to come home and find I was still overcharged. If the car is clean and he doesn't exceed 140k, I usually tip, but with the agreed price I didn't feel I had to, so from a hip pocket point of view I am not that far out. regards bkkrop
I kind of feel bad for Taxi drivers at new BKK when they had it so good at old BKK, being able to pick up where they dropped off etc. Plus a lot more local customers in and around the Don Muang area which of course new BKK doesn't have yet.

However, scamming at an international airport of a supposedly developed country is inexcusable. Which goes for the AOT taxis too.

When the new airport opened and I heard the crappy old taxis which use string to tie down the boot weren't going to be allowed to ply for trade, I was happy. Turns out that didn't last long, with some ropey cars and no choice in refusing unless you want to go back to the line and start all over again.

AOT ought to bite the bullet, and offer a rate that's reasonable into town. If not on a 1-way route, why don't they do what airlines do and charge, say, 900 one way or 1400 for a return as most passengers, I presume, are going to want to make it back to the airport at some point.

On a positive note however, 2 weeks ago entering BKK I noticed the AOT booth on the right hand side just as you come through the immigration exit is no longer there. And there were NO taxi hawkers hassling me as I tried to make my way down to the escalator to the public taxi area.^
Old Oct 26, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA AA NH BR TG
Are late-nite cabs from Bkk airport safe?

For me, the problem with cabs from the airport into Bangkok is not the fare - I never had a major problem when insisting that the drivers use the meter.

However, I am getting increasingly worried about taking a public taxi from the airport when arriving there late at nite, coming from the US either via NRT or TPE.

The drivers are often very tired, on several occasions I had to strike up a conversation just to keep them awake!

So I wonder if there are any safer alternatives to the public cabs? My hotel offers me a limousine pickup, but it's 1200 Baht - and as I will arrive at 2am in the morning on a BR flight, there is no guarantee that the driver will be any less tired than the public taxi drivers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Working people (manual labor, blue collar, white collar) here are always tired, it doesn't matter if it's late at night, morning or afternoon. They have brutal commutes, work long hours and get only fitful sleep at home. Having said that I wouldn't fret too much. Chances are good that your driver just awoke from a 1 hour nap, probably the best sleep he's had recently, while waiting at the airport. Now he's refreshed and ready to go. To quash any remaining fears, stop off at the mini-mart on the ground level (1) and purchase two (2) M-150's, the popular local energy drink, and give to your driver. Operators of all types of motorized conveyances here subsist on M-150.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by BKKflyforfun
For me, the problem with cabs from the airport into Bangkok is not the fare - I never had a major problem when insisting that the drivers use the meter.

However, I am getting increasingly worried about taking a public taxi from the airport when arriving there late at nite, coming from the US either via NRT or TPE.

The drivers are often very tired, on several occasions I had to strike up a conversation just to keep them awake!

So I wonder if there are any safer alternatives to the public cabs? My hotel offers me a limousine pickup, but it's 1200 Baht - and as I will arrive at 2am in the morning on a BR flight, there is no guarantee that the driver will be any less tired than the public taxi drivers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Use the 900 baht AOT limo. Saves you 300 baht, and the drivers haven't just been on a 12-hour shift. I was amazed when I found out those taxis work 24/7/365 for their working lives, usually split into 2 12-hour shifts by the drivers. The AOT limo should be marginally quicker also, as they're parked immediately outside - I'm not sure where the hotel cars have to park at the new airport.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 6:37 am

Programs: Accor Plat,SGP plat, Hyatt Dia, PC Plat, QF Plat, SG TPP, TG Gold
The AOT service is now 1,000 Baht, but at least it's right there outside the door past customs, they take cards, clean and courteous, don't drive like lunatics...and , unlike so often at Don Muang, they seem to have cars there all the time...it's a pretty good deal.

Originally Posted by moocherx
Use the 900 baht AOT limo. Saves you 300 baht, and the drivers haven't just been on a 12-hour shift. I was amazed when I found out those taxis work 24/7/365 for their working lives, usually split into 2 12-hour shifts by the drivers. The AOT limo should be marginally quicker also, as they're parked immediately outside - I'm not sure where the hotel cars have to park at the new airport.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA AA NH BR TG
Thanks for your advice. I actually ended up taking the hotel limousine which made for a very comfy ride from the airport to my serviced apt. The driver was certainly not fatigued and kept me awake with his conversation.

Next time I might just try the AOT limousine. Also, AAC limousine (www.aaclimousine.com) had a special for Baht 855 from Bkk airport to the Silom airport. Any toll charges, though, were extra AFAIK. You have to find their booth upon arrival, however, which is why I opted for the slightly more expensive hotel service as they waited right outside the customs exit.

Cheers
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:43 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Taking the Long road . . .

Just an update to post #4 from a recent trip I BKK trip. I met someone at the airport, who lives on a major North-South road just west of Suvarnabhumi. You can see the airport from there. We left in a taxi and stopped to drop her at her home, then continue (for me) into the Sukhumvit Soi 22 area. I told the driver to take Rama IX highway to Asok, then to Sukhumvit. It was about 5:30pm. After we dropped her, he goes north (as if to get on Rama IX), then makes a U turn to go south. He keeps saying "Bang Na" (the highway from Pattaya that goes into Bangkok, coming in a little south of Sukhumvit). I tell him again that I want Rama IX, and he's telling me it's "no good! Traffic! And 60 baht toll! Bang Na only 40 baht!" Remembering my 2:15 past ride into Soi 22 using Bang Na highway, I insisted (again!) he go using Rama IX. He finally turns around and we go to Rama IX. Paid a 25 baht toll (that was all), no traffic problems until we got off the highway, and the traffic was minor anyway. There was no problem with this route into Sukhumvit, or alternatively getting off at Thonglor (if it makes sense) to get to Sukhumvit.

It should meter to about 180 baht (to the Soi 22 area, as a benchmark). In my case, with the drop and the multiple U turns, it came out about 100 baht higher. Most important to me though, was it was quick and not congested.

I am convinced some of these drivers are purposely trying to pad the fare by taking circuitous routes that involve greater distance and time.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
Just an update to post #4 from a recent trip I BKK trip. I met someone at the airport, who lives on a major North-South road just west of Suvarnabhumi. You can see the airport from there. We left in a taxi and stopped to drop her at her home, then continue (for me) into the Sukhumvit Soi 22 area. I told the driver to take Rama IX highway to Asok, then to Sukhumvit. It was about 5:30pm. After we dropped her, he goes north (as if to get on Rama IX), then makes a U turn to go south. He keeps saying "Bang Na" (the highway from Pattaya that goes into Bangkok, coming in a little south of Sukhumvit). I tell him again that I want Rama IX, and he's telling me it's "no good! Traffic! And 60 baht toll! Bang Na only 40 baht!" Remembering my 2:15 past ride into Soi 22 using Bang Na highway, I insisted (again!) he go using Rama IX. He finally turns around and we go to Rama IX. Paid a 25 baht toll (that was all), no traffic problems until we got off the highway, and the traffic was minor anyway. There was no problem with this route into Sukhumvit, or alternatively getting off at Thonglor (if it makes sense) to get to Sukhumvit.

It should meter to about 180 baht (to the Soi 22 area, as a benchmark). In my case, with the drop and the multiple U turns, it came out about 100 baht higher. Most important to me though, was it was quick and not congested.

I am convinced some of these drivers are purposely trying to pad the fare by taking circuitous routes that involve greater distance and time.
Hi Sam,

Was it a green/yellow painted cab?

Gracie.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Sam Drucker

Hey, we're almost neighbours. I'm in Soi 33. And I get the same problem with taxi drivers "for some reason " not knowing that Rama 9 is the most reliable (though not always the fastest) way to Sukhumvit. Fortunately for me - and here's a tip to anyone who stays in the Novotel Lotus - there's a short-cut across the Makkasan railway line just after the Piyavate Hospital, then take a left onto Petchaburi, and right at the next lights onto the arse end of Soi 39 (Phrom Phong). ^

Maybe the guy was trying to get you to the Klong Toey Port tollway exit which can be useful - at a stretch - to getting to the Soi 18/20/22 area.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 7:01 pm

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus, TG ROP, BA EC, QR Privilege Club, SQ Krisflyer
Despite the move from level one to the arrivals level for the public taxis the touts are still very much in evidence. Walking out to the rank between the domestic exit A and international exit B yesterday I was mobbed by several of these vermin all yelling "you go Pattaya, very cheap, go now".

There are now large notices (only in Thai) all over the outside area warning that anyone touting taxis is liable to an on-the-spot 1000 baht fine, but nobody seems too worried.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:21 am

Was in BKK for a few days last week.

Got the bus (552) to PraKhaNong, then a taxi to Huamark. It was pink, so no problems (and only 65 bt).

On the way back to the airport, I picked up an (all green) taxi at the Mall at 5.30 am, and was at the airport in 15 mins. Total cost 140 bt.

Stay away from those green/yellow taxis!
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I honestly believe that the bulk of the problems people report with taxis have more to do with the driver rather than the color of the taxi. I've made close to a thousand taxi journeys in/around Bangkok and really have never had any problems with green/yellow taxis or any other color for that matter.

Green & yellow colored taxis here are owner-operated, and there are are more of these, (perhaps this why there is the perception that they are bad,) than the large and small company-owned fleets (Blue/red being the largest, after that a lot are small fleets, ~ 20 vehicles owned and maintained by an investor and rented out to drivers by the shift, ~ 1,200 baht per day. Many contend that the owner-operated taxis, and thus the yellow-green ones, are much better because the owner is invested.

For those new to Bangkok, being driven around in circles is not necessarily an indication that you are being bilked. Many streets are one-way, and in many cases you cannot turn either direction at an intersection with a main road. This requires circuitous paths, which can be mind-numbingly frustrating ("u-turn" is a Thai word!). Example: to go to my apartment from the tollway exit is 1 km and takes 5 min., to make the reverse journey is closer to 4 km and can require upwards of an hour (with traffic, ~ 15 min. without).

For some destinations, and given certain traffic patterns, taking the Bang-Na-Trat tollway into town from the airport (or v.v.) might be a lot faster, but longer and more expensive.

I am pretty sure drivers make more money as they make more flag-falls, which are essentially pure profit. Fuel (gas or natural gas) is expensive and driving you around in circles really doesn't yield all that much profit.

In some cases the driver really has no idea which might be the best route owing to inexperience rather than a desire to keep the meter running.

I like the current arrangements at the airport. Now you state your destination to the dispatcher, they note that on the form, then you get matched up to the next driver who is standing in a queue. Here is where you want to re-state your destination, your desire to use the meter, and the routing, if known (tollway, etc.). This can all be done while he walks you to his taxi and before you load your bags.

Edited to add: Gov't Agency talks of possible fare hike:

Taxis to Raise Fare Following LPG Price Hike

The Transport Ministry prepares to announce a taxi fare hike following an increase in liquefied petroleum gas prices. Taxi fares should go up by about eight to ten baht per a trip.

The Land Transport Department Director-General Chairat Sanguansue revealed that a committee, made up of representatives from taxi cooperatives and consumer groups, has been set up to look into a taxi fare hike. This follows requests by taxi operators for a fare hike as the fares have not gone up for over a decade but costs have gone up with the increases in the prices of oil and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).

The committee has decided to keep the base fare at 35 baht but will shorten the distance interval for fare increments on the meter. This should result in a hike of eight to ten baht on average per taxi trip so taxi drivers should be able to earn an additional 100 baht per day, based on an average of 14 trips a day.

However, this new fare structure will have to be approved by the Transport Ministry before it can be implemented.

The department is also trying to increase the number of taxis using natural gas (NGV), which about 20% of taxis in Bangkok are already using, to alleviate the burden from the LPG price hike. The government will be subsidizing the cost of the engine conversion to use NGV and has already announced that all new taxis to come out on the streets must be outfitted to use only NGV.

Secretary-General of a taxi federation Kasemsarnt Chompudaeng says the higher LPG price will result in less revenue for taxi drivers by as much as 200 baht per 12-hour shift. This, coupled with higher costs of living, will hurt the families of the 150,000 taxi drivers in Bangkok.

She also says the promotion to convert taxis engines to use NGV is not effective because there is still a shortage of NGV filling stations in Bangkok. Taxi operators will hand a letter to the Energy Ministry to ask for help to combat rising costs and have threaten to come out with pressure methods if their demands are not met.

- Thailand Outlook

Last edited by transpac; Dec 4, 2007 at 4:53 am
Old Dec 5, 2007, 4:26 am

Thanks transpac, nice precis.

However, I will never get into a green/yellow cab again in Bangkok. If I'm at the airport and the next cab in line is green/yellow, I will refuse to get into it.

Once bitten, twice shy...
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:35 pm

400 baht scam

My brother had an unfortunate experience last night - at the official taxi desk at arrivals at Suvharnabumi he gave the dispatcher a note with our house address near Seacon Square and was told 400 baht. As I instructed, he asked that a meter be used and was told that a meter can't be used to go to this location. Not having much experience with Bangkok, and speaking no Thai, he acquiesced. I hate seeing a family member scammed like this. Welcome to Thailand!!
Old Jan 9, 2008, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by soinokkao
My brother had an unfortunate experience last night - at the official taxi desk at arrivals at Suvharnabumi he gave the dispatcher a note with our house address near Seacon Square and was told 400 baht. As I instructed, he asked that a meter be used and was told that a meter can't be used to go to this location. Not having much experience with Bangkok, and speaking no Thai, he acquiesced. I hate seeing a family member scammed like this. Welcome to Thailand!!
Who told him it was 400bt? The dipatcher or the driver? People need to wise up to this scam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.