Reload this Page >

Catching a Taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This archived thread is closed to posting.

A detailed wikipost can be found in the current thread at
Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [2014 onward]
Print Wikipost

Catching a Taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:09 pm

splitting in two cabs is not a good idea since we have young kids. So I guess I'll organize a car...
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:37 pm

Or you could act like a local, go up to arrivals (level 2), wave down a van, and start negotiating.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by transpac
What is your destination? Could split up into two cabs if necessary?

There are some larger taxis waiting in the queue, like a Toyota Innova which can accommodate five passengers plus some moderate amount of luggage. But I am not sure how this is handled at the dispatcher's desk? Maybe just ask at the official taxi queue on level 1? There must be some way to handle this - maybe driver's exchange wait slips?
I asked them once and they said we can wait for the innova's and they will charge us something extra 150 - 200 bht for Innovas..If you tell the despatcher's they will allot the Innova to you if available or if you ready to wait and also pay the extra something ( which is worth IMO)..
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I asked them once and they said we can wait for the innova's and they will charge us something extra 150 - 200 bht for Innovas..If you tell the despatcher's they will allot the Innova to you if available or if you ready to wait and also pay the extra something ( which is worth IMO)..
I was told 700 Baht by the dispatcher.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by lewinr
splitting in two cabs is not a good idea since we have young kids. So I guess I'll organize a car...
We're in the same situation and have booked an Innova through [email protected] who was highly recommended on tripadvisor.com

We haven't begun our trip yet so I don't yet have personal experience to relate but the total charge will be 700 Baht.

Last edited by unmesh; Dec 23, 2012 at 9:53 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Suk Soi 18 to DMK, Fri 9AM, 180 THB + 105 tolls.

I expected the fare to be slightly more. Options for food etc while waiting for DD flight were limited and more expensive than I remember at BKK (then again I'm always in a lounge in BKK).
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:33 am

DMK to Westin - THB180 plus THB45 toll. The taxi queue in arrival hall around 330PM was simply horrid.

Westin to BKK at 6AM. The driver turned on the meter, but then wanted to switch it off and asked for THB400. I complained and also noticed that his meter is rigged. He took me from Westin to Soi 11 and it was already THB49 at the meter. I wanted to just get off his cab and flag another one, but then he turned off the meter and started fresh. No high way, 40 minutes later we arrived at BKK. Fare was THB185.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
DMK to Westin - THB180 plus THB45 toll. The taxi queue in arrival hall around 330PM was simply horrid.
Not liking the sound of that. That's basically when my flight gets in now. Train it is, then.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 24, 2012 at 12:52 am
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:43 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Not liking the sound of that. That's basically when my flight gets in now. Train it is, then.
No train at DMK. Closest would be I think Mo Chit/Chatuchak but you have to probably cab it there
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I was talking to some guy & he says that he beats the taxi lines by walking over to the Amari. No 1st had experience, I haven't tried it yet.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tide
No train at DMK. Closest would be I think Mo Chit/Chatuchak but you have to probably cab it there
There is a train station at Don Meuang Airport, this is where SRT trains pass between the North, Northeast and East and Hua Lumphong, in addition to daily commuters. Stop is pretty much across from the Amari.

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I was talking to some guy & he says that he beats the taxi lines by walking over to the Amari. No 1st had experience, I haven't tried it yet.
It might easier, shorter, quicker to just walk out to Viphavadi-Rangsit Road and flag down a passing/stopped taxi there, assuming you wanted to head south towards town?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
There is a train station at Don Meuang Airport, this is where SRT trains pass between the North, Northeast and East and Hua Lumphong, in addition to daily commuters. Stop is pretty much across from the Amari.

It might easier, shorter, quicker to just walk out to Viphavadi-Rangsit Road and flag down a passing/stopped taxi there, assuming you wanted to head south towards town?
The Don Meuang SRT station is not a bad choice and the Yommarat stop is a possible taxi point to Petchaburi Rd and Sukhumvit as well. Otherwise Hualampong MRT station is at the terminus, although this is a rather long way to go.

A year or two ago, when arriving on DD into DMK, the was a paucity of cabs. We did go to the highway a few times and it was not the easiest but better than waiting in line, and paying 50THB, with no cabs in sight.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Thanks. I stand corrected.

Appears that one option to connect to MRT from SRT is at Bang Sue.
http://thaitransit.blogspot.com/2008...d-station.html

However, looking at SRT timetable, appears train arrivals southbound in the afternoon are spaced out infrequently (approx 45mins - 1 hour)

Last edited by tide; Dec 24, 2012 at 8:41 am Reason: added Bang Sue link
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tide
Thanks. I stand corrected.

Appears that one option to connect to MRT from SRT is at Bang Sue.
http://thaitransit.blogspot.com/2008...d-station.html

However, looking at SRT timetable, appears train arrivals southbound in the afternoon are spaced out infrequently (approx 45mins - 1 hour)

I wasn't recommending that anyone take the SRT - schedules being the least of my concerns - that would be my last choice right before walking or swimming, I just wanted to make sure others weren't misled by your post.

The walking connection at Bang Sue is somewhat lengthy and challenging. I would not recommend that routing unless you have very unique requirements.

That said, many people do fly in to SBIA/BKK or DMK and then may want to connect to a train at Hua Lumphong. Since all trains to the North, Northeast and East pass Don Mueang, and Bang Sue, it is sometimes easier to catch a train at one of those stations. They may be easier to get to, and you have a 40 - 45 minute extra cushion.

Lastly, Google Maps with Directions does offer a public transportation routing option, choose the bus icon, which incorporates SRT (train), SARL (airport rail-link), MRT (subway), BTS (skytrain), BMTA (bus) and BRT. Schedules, such as they are here, are incorporated and presented based on time of day.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:50 pm

What he actually said was that he goes over to the Amari, has a beer in some lounge, then grabs a cab. This was drunk talk mind you. Maybe he takes a shuttle. How far is it anyway ? I'll be doing this dance in 2 weeks. Thanks. ps: just Google Mapped it - says 2.8 km to Amari walking. You're right transpac, Viphavadi-Rangsit it is - unless I want a beer of course. ps#2: apparently there's a walkway & it's 170m. Disregard my previous drivel. wj

Last edited by whackyjacky; Dec 25, 2012 at 12:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.