Wiki Posts
Search

Early BKK Departure--Where to Stay?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2007, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
Early BKK Departure--Where to Stay?

We are debating where to stay in order to catch JL 708 to NRT @ 08:10 on 20 August, flying in J and checking bags. We will be in Bangkok/Phuket for the week prior, and would prefer to stay downtown only because the hotels near the new BKK airport seem a bit basic for our tastes.

We are looking at the Oriental (we will be at the Peninsula for our earlier stay), but will consider staying by the airport if staying downtown simply is an unreasonable option.

Given the departure time, exactly how early should we plan on departing for the airport (using a hotel limo)? This answer will drive our choice.

I know that we will not find 5 star properties by the new airport, but is there now general agreement on what is the best airport hotel at this point?

Thanks for your help.
Old May 29, 2007, 12:02 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
The only hotel at The New Airport is the Overpriced Novotel.

You would need a 6am departure from The Oriental but it's Mainly Expressway so should be possible in 40 minutes at that time of the day. At least its on the right side of the River for the Airport, so no potential Bridge delays.

Also convenient for the Airport Expressway is the Superb 5 Star Sukhothai which would give you a nice alternative to looking at the Same Muddy River that you enjoyed at The Peninsular and around $100 a night less than the Oriental from

http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/ba...sukhothai.html

Personally for One Night I would go for a Junior Suite at The Davis around $130, as its low season, you could leave the return Bangkok booking until your stay at the Pen, go and look at The Davis and select your own Suite then.[Ensure you get the Internet rate or better though]

http://www.davisbangkokhotel.com/hotelgallery.html

Last edited by UncleDude; May 29, 2007 at 12:41 pm
Old May 29, 2007, 1:47 pm

Radisson on Rama IX is less than 15 minutes when no traffic...not a 5 star but decent. If you leave town by 6 am you won't run into traffic problems...
Old May 29, 2007, 10:26 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Well I always stay in town at the Westin. I leave the hotel at 5:15 AM for a 6 am arrival at the airport. I check in clear customs grab a bite to eat and have a little time to spare. I also now stay up all night the night before departure and sleep much better on the way home.
Old May 30, 2007, 1:58 am

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
How long will it take to go from Novotel Bangna to BKK? I will be travelling around 5:30am as my flight leaves BKK at 7:50am.
Old May 30, 2007, 9:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
For the evening of August 19, the Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport Hotel has a rate of THB 4000. That's not too bad.

http://www.accorhotels-asia.com/
Old May 31, 2007, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by francophile
For the evening of August 19, the Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport Hotel has a rate of THB 4000. That's not too bad.

http://www.accorhotels-asia.com/
For THB 4000 I would stay at the Airport Novotel. It's not the Oriental or the Pen but it has VERY nice rooms and for convenience and peace of mind the price is right. The breakfast buffet is also good.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
I have a 6am departure BKK-NRT (thankfully in C).. How early can one check in? It appears that I'd need to get to the airport by 4am, and so staying at the airport is the best option? Or should I just to stow bags somewhere, and hang around the city until it's time to go to the airport?

thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2007, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fijaircan
How long will it take to go from Novotel Bangna to BKK? I will be travelling around 5:30am as my flight leaves BKK at 7:50am.
Twenty minutes.

Originally Posted by Orion316
I have a 6am departure BKK-NRT (thankfully in C).. How early can one check in? It appears that I'd need to get to the airport by 4am, and so staying at the airport is the best option? Or should I just to stow bags somewhere, and hang around the city until it's time to go to the airport?

thanks!
Check-in times vary by airline of course, but for NW maybe ~ 04:00 and UA, ~ 04:30.

A taxi from town to the airport should take ~ 30 minutes at this time of day.

Last edited by transpac; Jun 1, 2007 at 10:38 pm
Old Jun 4, 2007, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by Orion316

thanks!
Coming home to the USA from BKK, I am pretty much always on the NW or UA flights that leave early morning. My strategy is always to get a cheap hotel for the last night, and (as PETEFLYS suggests) just stay awake. Having the cheap hotel allows me to keep my bags someplace, take an evening nap if I want, and have a shower before going to the airport. I usually wind up sleeping for the entire BKK-NRT segment, which makes the trip home a whole lot nicer.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:04 am

Does flying in first on Thai lessen any of these arrival times for BKK? I've got a 7:30 sat morning flight. I was thinking of arriving at the airport by 6:00, so that means leaving (the Conrad) by 5:30... sound ok to anyone who has some experience out there?

Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Zhaunk- there is a dedicated check in area for Thai F and C and you can get right through a dedicated immigration lane after that. I've been through both steps in 5 minutes the times I've flown TG C. I think I checked bags at 65 minutes before flight departure one evening and still made it to the gate before boarding had started.

As for the orginal question, I have to say I like the Novotel at the airport. It's overpriced if you book thru a TA but you can sometimes find a decent rate on their website. Even if overpriced the rooms are good, I think better than many of downtown's fading 5 stars. It reminds me of a new style Westin, clean and modern, but nothing too fancy. I'd rather stay at the Novotel than the Sheratons or the Hyatt in BKK. And it's nice to roll into the airport in 5 minutes the next morning.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by stephem
I'd rather stay at the Novotel than the Sheratons or the Hyatt in BKK. And it's nice to roll into the airport in 5 minutes the next morning.
Good grief, you must have had a life changing experience at one or some of those Hotels to say that, especially in Bangkok.

We got to Suvarnabhumi is 30 minutes from the Sheraton Grande on a Sunday afternoon a couple of weeks ago, and I've done it in less than that previously when going for the first SQ flight to SIN that leaves at 0745. It's about the same from the Conrad at that time as well.

It's a no brainer decision to stay in town, every time.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:29 pm

Thanks for the replies... I've got 5 nights at the Conrad Pres suite on that wonderful mistake rate. I'm going to stay as long as possible at the Conrad on Saturday and then check myself into the Novotel BKK (4700 bht with taxes)where I will try and be a good boy and in shape to fly early the next morning to NRT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.