Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get from Pattaya to Hua Hin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Best way to get from Pattaya to Hua Hin

My partner and I will be taking our honeymoon in Thailand in August. The first several nights will be spent in Pattaya, then we are planning to go to Hua Hin. We are planning to take the hotel car from BKK to our hotel in Pattaya, but I'm not sure what to do about getting to Hua Hin.

We would prefer something not too complicated (i.e. not doing six transfers on the way), but are willing to transfer in Bankok. Also, we are trying to keep transportation relatively inexpensive but are willing to consider more expensive options if there is a vast difference in ease, comfort (e.g. a/c versus no a/c in August), and/or time spent in transit. Thanks very much.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:05 pm

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
I think your best bet would be to drive from Pattaya to Bangkok then take the flight to Hua Hin. Check out http://www.huahinairport.com/

Are you sure you want to go to Pattaya for your honeymoon? Obviously it comes down to personal preferences, but in your position I'd skip it entirely. Awful place IMO.
Old May 1, 2007, 12:28 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus, TG ROP, BA EC, QR Privilege Club, SQ Krisflyer
Have to concur with Meerkat about the suitability of Pattaya for a honeymoon. But then maybe you are just looking for something a little un-conventional?

As you mentioned looking for relatively inexpensive travel I would caution that the flight from BKK to Hua Hin, whilst a lovely scenic trip in a small aircraft, is quite expensive relative to surface transport.

To give the best shot at your question I think we would need to know your approximate budget for the trip, but if you are looking for cheap but fairly comfortable I would suggest:

Air-con public bus from Pattaya to Bangkok. They run to both the Ekkamai and Mor Chit bus stations, either will be ok for you. Then taxi to Sai Tai Mai, which is the bus station for services to Southern Thailand. Then another air-con public bus to Hua Hin. Your total expenditure for this itinerary would be around 700 baht.
Old May 1, 2007, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rhodeswood
Have to concur with Meerkat about the suitability of Pattaya for a honeymoon. But then maybe you are just looking for something a little un-conventional?
LoL, no, we're not looking for the types of activities that I have heard are common in the city of Pattaya. We choose Pattaya as our first stop in Thailand b/c 1) we are using Starwood Points and they have a nice property there with a beautiful pool and ocean view; 2) it will take us some 24+ hours in travel time to get there from DC and between that and the time change, we are probably going to be really tired the first few days and won't feel like sightseeing; and 3) since there's apparently not much to do in Pattaya, we can hang out at the hotel for a few days and enjoy time together without feeling like we're missing out on any beautiful sites or cultural experiences.

To give the best shot at your question I think we would need to know your approximate budget for the trip.
I am hoping to keep the journey from Pattaya to Hua Hin under 2400 Baht per person.
Old May 1, 2007, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should just ask around the car service stands (on every corner) in Pattaya, for a direct transfer to Hia Hin. I'm guessing it could be done for 2,500. At the other end of the cost spectrum would be a bus from the Pattaya North Bus Station to Ekkamai, then the BTS and MRT to Hua Lamphong (train station) then a trian to Hua Hin. And another alternative would be to transfer at Suvarnabhumi (Car/taxi fro Pattaya to Suvarnabhumi, then a taxi or min-van to Hua Hin.) Plenty of options but pay attention to day of week, date, and time of day for travel. (You can also take a bus from Pattaya to the southern bus terminal in Thonburi, and then catch a bus to Hua Hin from there.)
Old May 1, 2007, 10:28 pm

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus, TG ROP, BA EC, QR Privilege Club, SQ Krisflyer
Must confess, I didn't know that you could take a bus direct from Pattaya to Sai Tai Mai, which is the southern bus terminal in Thonburi referred to by transpac. This avoids the need to get a taxi accross Bangkok, and thus removes one of the stages that I described in my earlier post.

However, based upon your budget hiring a car and driver or taking a public taxi is probably your best option, and easily achievable for much less than 2400Bt per person. The bus trip would be more of an "adventure" though...
Old May 3, 2007, 2:06 am

Must confess, I didn't know that you could take a bus direct from Pattaya to Sai Tai Mai, which is the southern bus terminal in Thonburi referred to by transpac. This avoids the need to get a taxi accross Bangkok, and thus removes one of the stages that I described in my earlier post.

However, based upon your budget hiring a car and driver or taking a public taxi is probably your best option, and easily achievable for much less than 2400Bt per person. The bus trip would be more of an "adventure" though...
Much much more of an adventure. not tooo sure if it'll be one that makes you happy or not though!
Old May 8, 2007, 2:28 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
This is a reliable Good Value Local Private Car Service

Khrongfa Pattaya Centre Tours & Transport
206/84 Soi Town in Town
Central Road
Pattaya City 20260
Tel: 66 (0) 38 423067 , Fax 66: (0) 38 716528,

[email protected]
Old May 8, 2007, 4:08 am

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
I guess you've already made up your mind about going to Pattaya, but just to add in my opinion, like the others, don't know why anyone would go to Pattaya for their honeymoon. It would be one of the last places on my list for a honeymoon, even if the hotel was free. I'd much rather pay good money and go to someplace I'd consider a nice honeymoon destination rather than Pattaya. But then some people are sure to like it, especially I suppose if it's your first trip to Thailand it will all be new and exciting to see. Just not too terribly romantic. I'd even choose Bangkok over Pattaya.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just an FYI as I and others mentioned it, the new Southern Bus Station, which will serve Hua Hin, is currently scheduled to open at the end of July.

The 556 bus goes between Suvarnabhumi and the Southern Bus Station.

I cannot find documentation re: a direct bus from Pattaya North Road Bus Station to the Southern Bus Station but a friend tells me he takes one to make a connection to Phuket.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 3:05 pm

If the OP is referring to the Sheraton in Pattaya, then I would not be too concerned about Pattaya's reputation. The hotel is a good mile or two away from the "action". I've been there for a work conference, and you would not even know you were in Pattaya (this is a good thing!).

For 4800 baht (2400pp), you could probably hire the hotel's BMW limo to take you to Hua Hin. If not, you can go to one of the taxi stands in town, as mentioned a bove, and get a taxi to take you.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
The absolutely simplest way to do this transfer - and it's not any sort of "adventure" although it could be interesting or even fun in parts - is the a/c bus to Ekkemai bus terminal, taxi to Southern Bus Terminal and a/c bus to Hua Hin, as previously mentioned. Budget: under 800 baht for two people. Departures of both buses are frequent. The buses are comfortable. Have a nice dinner in Hua Hin with the money you saved by not using overpriced limos.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billp
...- is the a/c bus to Ekkemai bus terminal, taxi to Southern Bus Terminal and a/c bus to Hua Hin,
I have taken a taxi to the Southern Bus Station from my apartment, which is ~ 3 KM closer than Ekkamai, once and from the Southern Bus Station back to my apartment once. The former took ~ 130 minutes and the latter, just over three hours. Be prepared (go to the bathroom first) for a potentially lengthy journey, likely longer in duration than either Pattaya-Ekkamai, or Pink Klao-Hua Hin. The good news is that there are bus departures to Hau Hin ~ every 30 min., while train service from Hua Lamphong to Hua Hin is limited. The train trip is fun though; there is an early morning 'sprinter' train which I took once.

The new Southern Bus Terminal is ~ 2 KM farther west (away from Bangkok/Ekkamai) than the current station.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 2:53 pm

I hope you guys suggesting the bus are joking.

They are on their HONEYMOON, and have a budget of 2400 baht per person. For that money, they can EASILY get a nice car to take them door to door. If the hotel limo won't do it for that amount, i would simply ask one of the bellboys to arrange for a private car. IF they are feeling adventurous, I would then suggest they go into town (from the Sheraton) to any of the hundreds of taxi stands, and arrange for a car to take them to Hua Hin.

I hope the OP has a great trip.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
I have taken a taxi to the Southern Bus Station from my apartment, which is ~ 3 KM closer than Ekkamai, once and from the Southern Bus Station back to my apartment once. The former took ~ 130 minutes and the latter, just over three hours.
Perhaps I've just been lucky the 10 or 15 times I've gone to Southern Bus Terminal from Upper Sukhumvit or Rama IV. I can't think of any time it''s taken more than half an hour, 45 minutes tops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.