Wiki Posts
Search

Ayutthaya

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA- Gold
Exclamation Ayutthaya

Can anyone recomend a one day tour from Bangkok with the boat ride around 1,250pp?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:16 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
And in a similar vein, we'll be coming to Bangkok after three days exploring the temples at Angkor. I suspect we will be "templed out" so to speak. I've been to Bangkok before but never to Ayutthaya. Are the temples there similar to those at Angkor or different?

Trying to get a read on whether it's still worth visiting given our three days at Angkor. If it were just me, I'd probably do it. But Chapel Hill Gal is with me and I suspect she'd want to pass if it's similar to Angkor. She's never been to Bangkok and we have four days there. TIA.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:21 pm

It has been a few years, but I took the tour from the Shangri-La hotel. I liked it especially since there were only 15 people on the tour in a big bus. Easy to spread out or move if the Sun is too intense on one side. The main reason to visit Ayutthaya are the temple ruins although you can ride an elephant for extra baht. I really enjoyed the cruise back to Bangkok and the buffet lunch on the boat was good.
(I saw the cheaper tour groups crammed into buses and was glad I avoided that fate.)

If you are tired of temple ruins then give it a miss. Plenty of non-temple activities to do in Bangkok.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:30 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
We did a day tour. It was split between the ruin of the temples in the morning and the King's Summer Palace in the afternoon. Summer palace was awesome. Lunch break was provided and we went both directions via mini-bus.

I've heard that the tours returning to Bangkok via boat are a great way to go, but I have no info on which company to choose.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:39 pm

The first time we visited Thailand Ayutthaya was part of our tour from Bangkok to Chang Mai, then last year we visited Angkor for 3 days. I think you will be disappointed after Angkor. The temples are of a similar style & if you have just spent 3 days around Siem Reap you will probably be suffering from temple overload
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
World Travel Service is a tour desk located in most of BKK's hotels. They will pick up/drop off from your hotel. You can also reserve via internet and pay when you arrive at the hotel.

http://www.wts-thailand.com/

The Ayutthaya tour I took was minibus in the morning and boat ride back (with lunch buffet) in the afternoon. Personally, I wish I didn't do the boat ride back since it took around 2.5 hours and was a waste of time, IMO.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:41 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Article in todays paper

http://www.bangkokpost.co.th/180107_...07_hori001.php
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As mentioned by others, I think the Bang Pa-In Summer Palace is worth the visit alone.

Other Ayutthaya sites .

I did a day-trp from Bangkok with three friends, a mini-van with driver and another person as a guide. We went to the ruins, Bang Pa-In, had a boat ride around the ruins which included a stop for lunch. 4,000 THB all-in, for all four people incl. lunch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.