Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Land of (lotsa) Thai Smiles ...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Land of (lotsa) Thai Smiles ...

The official hype from the Tourist Board of Thailand, as well as most tourist pamphlets, travel agent's offices, airline advertising etc etc etc is that Thailand is "The Land of Smiles".

Well, that's the spin, and you can take it with as many grains of salt as you wish ... understanding that it is obviously a bit of a cliche, and harmless.
And in fact, Thai people DO smile a lot. They will smile if you fall on your face into a pot-hole in a sidewalk while running! (It's happened to me).

Thai people are generally very laid-back, and see humour in many things which westerners will not. But in Thailand, a smile can mean many things . . . not least of all defensive mechanisms in a culture which is highly structured along lines of "place" and "status".

I found this webpage devoted to the many types and nuances of Thai smiles, and thought it might be of interest to first-timers to the Land O' Smiles ( LoS )

THE 13 THAI SMILES: http://www.into-asia.com/thailand/culture/smile.php

Cheers ...

Last edited by Nongkhai; Jan 8, 2007 at 10:29 am
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Nongkhai
I found this webpage devoted to the many types and nuances of Thai smiles, and thought it might be of interest to first-timers to the Land O' Smiles
Very useful.
Thank you, Nongkhai, for posting that.

-- Peter
Old Jan 9, 2007, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting but all those smiles exist in many, if not most, other countries/cultures. I know I've seen those 13 smiles in the U.S.A. so nothing really unique to Thailand. And certainly nothing unique about misunderstanding/misinterpreting body language when in a foreign country. Obviously the context tells all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.