Search

Seven bombs in Bangkok on New Year's Eve

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2006, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
4 bombs exploded in bangkok---Cnn International

Just seeing on CNNI that 4+ bombs have exploded somewhere in bangkok.More details to come as I can find them..
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapc...sts/index.html
cheers
howie
Old Dec 31, 2006, 6:26 am

Unhappy Seven bombs in Bangkok on New Year's Eve

Originally Posted by The Nation web site ... nationmultimedia.com

Seven Bombs Rock Bangkok, Kill two

Seven explosives went off almost simultaneously in Bangkok, injuring at least 20 people as the revellers were about to start celebrating the New Year's eve.

Two people were killed and 20 injured at the Victory Monument when a powerful bomb went off near a bus station at about 6.30 pm.

One person was dead near the Big C supermarket, Sapan Kwai branch, where witness saw a man dropped a grenade from a pedestrian bridge just over the police box.

At the Klong Toei area near the Na Ranong intersection, around the same time, a bomb hidden in a trash can near a Chinese spirit shrine exploded and injured two bypassers. The explosion caused a secondary explosion to a number of cookinggas cylinders that were situated nearby.

At the Seacon Square Shopping Mall, a loud explosion went off at the parking space, creating a panic but no injury. ...[story continues]
That's breaking news to subject to change, of course.
Source: http://nationmultimedia.com

What about travelers coming here?
The common factor is the bombs were not in foreigner or tourist areas of the city.
-- Edit next day: Later bombs were in tourist areas. --
All those areas are crowded markets and bus stations in working-class, Thai areas.
If I were planning to travel to Thailand, I would not abort those plans.
One remarkable aspect of Thai society is the way they continue daily life in the face of adversity or danger.
Their Buddhist premises support a calm fatalism.

The Jihad in Southern Thailand has had bombings and attacks every day for three years, but Bangkok has been remarkably free of the war.
2006 was an important year for Thailand.
It was the 60th anniversary of the accession to the throne of the current king: a sort of Jubilee year.
Seven bombs on New Years Eve are a signal that the unilateral, Jubilee peace has ended.
I expect Muslim attacks will expand to Bangkok, but, of course, only time will tell.

Personally, I'd rather take my chances with Jihadi bombs in Bangkok, than with the Schutzstaffel security apparatus in all Western countries.
I'm staying.

-- Peter

Last edited by Peter4; Jan 1, 2007 at 12:27 am
Old Dec 31, 2006, 6:40 am

Here is another reliable source for information: http://www.2bangkok.com/

That web site is a little delayed compared to the news sites, but it consistently offers calm, carefully considered, reports on current events in Bangkok.

-- Peter
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Three more bombs after the new year... These in areas more frequented by tourists - near Central World Plaza and Khao San Road.

Very unfortunate....

www.nationmultimedia.com for more info.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
My best wishes to all Thai people and visitors to Thailand who are affected by this outrage.

The Thais have suffered too much in the past few years: tsunami, earthquake, repeated Islamist offensives, corruption, a weak Government and subsequent coup.

May 2007 be a better year for them.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 2:02 pm

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
I'm surprised these bombs are targeting tourists.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 2:28 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by The NWA kid
I'm surprised these bombs are targeting tourists.
Scare off tourists, hurt economy.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:29 pm

In addition to suffering ?tsunami, earthquake, repeated Islamist offensives, corruption" Thais have not suffered a weak (Thaksin) government, rather an increasingly dictatorial one squeezing others out of politics and media criticism and forcing nepotistic promotions in key mnistries and military commands.

The present government might be considered weak in light of doing nothing for more than three months other than putting fear into many foreign investors. These latest bombings in Bangkok will increase that fear and concern.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 4:41 pm

Twin Bangkok Bombing Waves Kill 2

(BangkokPost.com) 6:30 AM Jan.1, 2007 Bangkok Time

Two people died and more than 30 were wounded including six foreigners as two waves of at least nine bombs and grenades exploded in Bangkok at nightfall and again at midnight.

Authorities cancelled all public New Year's Eve parties in Bangkok. Outdoor parties were also cancelled in Chiang Mai, although no disturbance was reported in the northern city.

After a first wave of six coordinated explosions, three other bombs went off at midnight - one at the famous Khao San Road area for budget travellers, and two near the site of what was to have been the nation's biggest New Year's Eve party, normally telecast live around Thailand and overseas.

Seven people, including six foreigners, were injured in the second bombings just before midnight, although the cancellation of the New Year's Eve celebrations kept the toll down, police said.

Instead of half a million people at the second wave of bombing, there were only relatively few passers-by in the area in front of the shuttered Central World store, formerly known as the World Trade Centre. The worst bomb was at a nearby seafood restaurant, where three foreigners were badly hurt, including one whose leg was torn off by the blast.

Another bomb "exploded in a telephone booth opposite Central World Plaza," where the Bangkok Countdown 2007 was to have taken place, said Pol Col Vanlop Patummaung.

"The injured have been sent to the police hospital," he said. "Six foreigners and one Thai were injured. We don't know when the bomb was placed there, because we had carefully searched the area before the party.

Another bomb exploded on a pier that sits on the klong (canal) beside the plaza at the same time, just before midnight, but no injuries were immediately reported, he said.

TV reports said a man was seen throwing a grenade off a pedestrian overpass near a police box in the Saphan Kwai area of Bangkok, injuring several people in the explosion.

At Seacon Square in eastern Bangkok, Asia's largest mall, an explosion in the outdoor parking lot sent hundreds of shoppers scrambling, but no injurites were reported.

Witnesses told police in some places that they saw people throwing what looked to be grenades shortly before the explosions.

All quiet in Chiang Mai,
Randy and Ning

Last edited by allthai; Dec 31, 2006 at 4:42 pm Reason: wrong date, changed to 2007
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:38 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
well

we are in bangkok right now. i am sure there are more flyertalkers and we only realized that there was a bombing when we were informed by the staff of the banyan tree about the bombs.

we heard something we thought it was a early firework, but this was one of the bombs it seems.

awful to see the terror coming over to bangkok, but as i checked, flamboyrant , dennis and some other flyertalkers are alright.

dp
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
I'm in Bangkok right now, as well...the gov't. has recommended that people stay "at home." A bit difficult to do when you're in a foreign country.

Police still have no idea, at least they are not saying if they do, who is responsible.

So what's a tourist to do? Cut short a vacation or push aside the uneasiness and resume normal tourist activities?
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by ridgeback
I'm in Bangkok right now, as well...the gov't. has recommended that people stay "at home." A bit difficult to do when you're in a foreign country.

Police still have no idea, at least they are not saying if they do, who is responsible.

So what's a tourist to do? Cut short a vacation or push aside the uneasiness and resume normal tourist activities?
Stay put, do your thing, enjoy your holiday.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peter4
What about travelers coming here?
The common factor is the bombs were not in foreigner or tourist areas of the city.
-- Peter
Six of the 30+ injured were not Thai. Khao San Road, Central/WTC, Pratunam are most certainly tourist areas. One German tourist had his leg blown off. Remember not all the bombs exploded, several others were found unexploded in tourist areas.

General concensus as of right now is that this the work of rogue military/police loyal to the previous government hoping to foment unrest. Taking out a few tourists would have the added benefit of impacting tourism.

Again, the big problems here usually do not happen until one to three years after a coup so this just may a blip. But then maybe things are moving faster these days?

The randonmness of being in the wrong place, at the wrong time certainly has me a bit concerned. In the last six days I have been to almost all of the locales bombed.

Last edited by transpac; Dec 31, 2006 at 11:03 pm
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
The randonmness of being in the wrong place, at the wrong time certainly has me a bit concerned. In the last six days I have been to almost all of the locales bombed.
Me too. Walked past Central World yesterday afternoon. But my wife and I have been here about 10 days so far and been nearly everywhere.

I'm not so much scared about the randomness - just unsure about a security crackdown and how it will impact daily life.

I'm headed to Ko Samui tomorrow so feel quite lucky.

Everyone seems to think the bombs are the work of supporters of the previous, overthrown, government.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:02 am

I don't actually think the bombs were aimed at tourists though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.