Search

Patong to HKT Airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite
Patong to HKT Airport

Hi,

I successfully got from HKT airport to Patong using the meter taxi service outside the arrivals hall. What's the best way for the return journey. Our hotel is quoting 700B for a transfer where we paid only 400B (incl. the 100B airport tax) on the way there. Can we get the hotel to call a metered taxi for us?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:38 pm

deleted

Last edited by ajc1970; Dec 8, 2006 at 12:55 pm
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajc1970
note that 400 baht is a ripoff
Isnt BHT400 just slightly more than USD10 ? and you consider USD10 for a 45min ride a ripoff ?

I am more than happy to pay BHT550 for the airport limo. Decent and clean cars, punctual, no haggling and no worries about being "taken for a ride". However the farang community in Phuket is running a crusade against them and they are blindly supporting the meter taxis. Fine with me if the expat farangs dont like Thais driving big fast cars (airport limo), but can they tell us where to find a meter taxi when we need one ?

Last edited by mario33; Dec 5, 2006 at 5:41 am
Old Dec 4, 2006, 1:01 pm

deleted

Last edited by ajc1970; Dec 8, 2006 at 12:54 pm
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:37 am
Suspended

you're in thailand, not the USA.
If its in the USA, it will not be USD10 but closer to USD100 ! It was only a couple of months ago that I had to fork out USD90 for a taxi ride from OGG to Lahaina, and a similar fare back to OGG

While cost of living is generally low in Thailand, it is by no means a "dirt-cheap" destination. I live in Kuala Lumpur which is only an hour away and I do visit Phuket quite frequently though you may consider yourself more "local" and more familiar with local prices. Vehicle ownership and fuel is not cheap in Thailand; and the last time I filled up the petrol tank in Phuket it costs me something like BHT1,000 for a fulltank. And you consider a BHT400 taxi fare for a 45min ride a ripoff

I also find your remark that a BHT400 dinner in Thailand being a ripoff somewhat strange. Sure you can eat for BHT20 along the roadside, but that does not make a BHT2,000 lobster meal at a higher end establishment a ripoff. Similarly just because you can stay in a hostel for BHT200, it doesnt mean that a BHT20,000 luxury villa is a ripoff.

And there are plenty of Thais who are quite happy to pay for services at what you consider as "tourist" prices.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 2:13 pm

deleted

Last edited by ajc1970; Dec 8, 2006 at 12:53 pm
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:22 am
Suspended

if you're thai, you can take a taxi from the airport to patong (or vice versa) for less money.
Straight to the point, how much less than BHT400 and how easy to get a taxi at that fare ?

I am not rich nor am I American, but I would just pay BHT550 for the official airport limo rather than haggle with those touts. As I have said before if you consider the quality of service and cost of living in Phuket, BHT550 is a very reasonable fare. But then to some "smart" American, I am just a foolish tourist
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:17 pm

deleted

Last edited by ajc1970; Dec 8, 2006 at 12:53 pm
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:53 pm
Suspended

i simply said that they're charging a "ripoff" rate (which is essentially a rate for foreigners that is higher than for locals who are also ethnic thais, chinese or indian).
Why dont you just tell us the rate for locals and how frequent your local friends are getting these rates.

You told us BHT400 for airport transfer is a ripoff and BHT400 for dinner is a ripoff; and you went on and on with your "expert" view on Thailand. Your posts may sound somewhat "impressive" to first time (or budget) visitors to Thailand, but you didnt give any suggestion on how to get around these "rip-off". And what surprises me most is that you never even mention the ultimate rip-off in Phuket, the tuk-tuks !
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Something that fascinates me here is the fact that our knowledgable friend from Reno hasn't yet acnowledged that parallel pricing exists on a wide wide scale.

The first place that sprang to mind for me was the telecoms tower in KL - something you will doubtless be familiar with mario33.

They have two rates at the entrance (or at least did 18 mos. back) - one for locals and one for tourists. Do I object paying? Not really as it's perhaps making the attraction more accessible to locals as a result.

Then I thought a bit more and yes, it happens in the US too. Why should a Canadian get a special rate at US hotels (C$:US$ parity promotions) when the same offers aren't extended to other visitors, especially when the dollar is/was strong?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:52 pm

deleted

Last edited by ajc1970; Dec 8, 2006 at 12:52 pm
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:59 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
well

just ask your hotel to call one of the airport limos.
its 650 baht from karon, so i think from patong its cheaper.
safe and fast drivers.
new cards. working airconditions.

dp
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:21 am
Suspended

and you're not basing your challenge on anything relevant... you ignore the fact that thai citizens pay less, you ignore the fact that the drivers collude to set minimum prices for foreigners, and you ignore the fact that the drivers refuse to use meters, even though all of the newer cars have them installed.
You were complaining the BHT400 fare is a ripoff because a Thai citizen would be charged less than BHT400 ?

Although you have given your opinion that a non-ripoff fare should be BHT250, you have however not confirmed whether any of your Thai friends were charged only BHT250 from Patong to HKT. I have my doubts the driver will accept a BHT250 fare from Patong to HKT, irrespective of the passengers nationality.

Secondly, I wont clasify a fare as "ripoff" just because the driver is willing to give a discount to a small group of passengers or even give them a free ride . I would instead ask myself the following questions :

1) Does the local authority regulate the fare for this particular type of "taxi" and whether the driver is charging excessively more than the regulated fare ?

There are very few "official" meter taxis in Phuket and these taxis were only introduced over the last couple of years. Its almost impossible to find one in Patong and chances are that you were not negotiating with an "official" meter taxi even if they have a "meter" installed. I would compare these taxis (not official meter taxis) to mini-cabs in UK or car service in US

2) If the fare is not regulated, is the fare charged excessive taking into consideration the cost of fuel, cost of acquiring/hiring a vehicle and general cost of living/wages ?

As I have mentioned before, a full tank of petrol for a Honda Civic or Toyota Altis is close to BHT1,000. Cost of purchasing/hiring a vehicle is twice as expensive as compared to the US. Would the driver be making a "killing" by charging you BHT400 after deducting the fuel cost, vehicle cost and other unforeseen costs ? Most probably not unless he didnt pay for the petrol or if he was driving a stolen car

3) How does the fare compare with similar destinations in the region ?

For USD10, you certainly wont get a 45min taxi ride from/to the airport in Bali, not in Langkawi and certainly not in Penang.

No doubt taxi fares are cheap in Bangkok but its not an island resort where the pool of passengers is usually smaller. Most of Phuket's tourism workers are also not natives of Phuket and there wont be a workforce if they are not getting a higher wage in Phuket.

And if its any consolation to you, I am not white nor do I earn a US/UK salary. If you had met me in Phuket you would probably think I am Thai, yet I pay the same "tourist" prices as you do. While you enjoy the special farang treatment, I get treated just like any local (except for the price). I wont however scream "ripoff" or "prejudice" like you do because at the end of the day I still get treated reasonably well and enjoyed myself, and thats what matters most

Last edited by mario33; Dec 7, 2006 at 7:30 am
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:16 am
Suspended

KL Tower

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The first place that sprang to mind for me was the telecoms tower in KL - something you will doubtless be familiar with mario33.
Yes, I noticed the 2 tier entrance fees. Cant remember the exact amount but the entrance fee for locals was discounted at something like 20-30%. What I can remember is that there was a working class Malay family at the lobby with several kids (4-5) and the father decided to turn back because apparently he couldnt afford the entrance fees for his entire family despite qualifying for the local rate. Had "our knowledgable friend from Reno" witnessed the sad faces on those kids, I am sure he would not have taken such a tough stand against the dual pricing policy.

BTW certain museum (or possibly aquarium) in Chicago has a discounted entrance fee for local residents. They asked for my zip code but I told them I was just visiting; could have provided them with my hotel zip code but then I would be ripping them off !
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by derpelikan
just ask your hotel to call one of the airport limos.
its 650 baht from karon, so i think from patong its cheaper.
safe and fast drivers.
new cards. working airconditions.
Its BHT550 from Patong. Trouble is most hotel concierge would only book you a car with their contacts to earn hefty commissions. Also there is a vicious campaign against the airport limo by certain local expats and visitors are encouraged to take the meter taxis instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.