Wireless in Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wireless in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Can anyone who is knowledgeable about phones tell me if the one I have http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...=pp1&pid=10138

will work with the GPRS and the phone system in Thailand?

If it does, I suppose I just get it unlocked when I am over there?

Thanks again
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
Thumbs up

It will work on Thailand's GSM 1800 and 1900 bands (ACT DTAC and True). And it has GPRS on it. So you're good to go. ^
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billp
It will work on Thailand's GSM 1800 and 1900 bands (ACT DTAC and True). And it has GPRS on it. So you're good to go. ^

Thanks...so what exactly is involved in getting a phone unlocked?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Sony Ericsson model has limited GPRS capabilities (56 kbps vs a max. of 80 kbps). You'd need the USB Data Kit DCU-11 to connect this phone to your PC.

Others, on ThaiVisa, have reported success with the Nokia 6310i but that model is no longer available so I can't find the detailed specs. It does support IR and Bluetooth for connectivity.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I did not review the specs on the SE handset very carefully. It will not work on the 1-2-Call (AIS) network as it does not support GSM900, so you will be limited to DTAC (Happy) and TrueMove on GSM1800. I doubt there is GSM1800 coverage throughout the country. It would be OK in Bangkok on DTAC. I would strongly recommend a GSM900-capable handset.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Sorry, I did not review the specs on the SE handset very carefully. It will not work on the 1-2-Call (AIS) network as it does not support GSM900, so you will be limited to DTAC (Happy) and TrueMove on GSM1800. I doubt there is GSM1800 coverage throughout the country. It would be OK in Bangkok on DTAC. I would strongly recommend a GSM900-capable handset.
Thanks again. I really appreciate you helping me figure this stuff out. How about this one: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=18

Would that work in BKK and Isaan, and other parts of SE Asia and China?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martian
Thanks again. I really appreciate you helping me figure this stuff out. How about this one: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=18

Would that work in BKK and Isaan, and other parts of SE Asia and China?
That handset supports GSM900 so would work everywhere in Thailand on many networks, and in other parts of SE Asia. I can't remember if China is GSM900 everywhere, but am pretty sure it is, along with some CDMA networks maybe.

However, it is not clear to me that this phone actually has a GPRS modem. It has basic GPRS connectivity to allow internet access on the phone's tiny screen. As far as I can determine it does not have a GPRS modem, which would allow you to use it for PC/Internet connectivity as we've been discussing.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

That handset supports GSM900 so would work everywhere in Thailand on many networks, and in other parts of SE Asia. I can't remember if China is GSM900 everywhere, but am pretty sure it is, along with some CDMA networks maybe.

However, it is not clear to me that this phone actually has a GPRS modem. It has basic GPRS connectivity to allow internet access on the phone's tiny screen. As far as I can determine it does not have a GPRS modem, which would allow you to use it for PC/Internet connectivity as we've been discussing.

Thanks for explaining that. I didn't realise it. I have now been way overbid on eBay for that phone I posted earlier...and I don't see any affordable GSM900 and GPRS phones listed, so it might now be a while before I find one. I'll keep looking though. Thanks again.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is your budget?
Old Nov 19, 2006, 7:54 am
Original Poster

What is your budget?
A miniscule budget really until I find out whether my project is funded or not.

I was hoping to find one on eBay for less than $30 USD. Is that an unreasonable expectation?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
I thought you were angling to get a subsidized handset from a wireless operator. Since you're buying on the open market anyway, why don't you wait to get one once you arrive in Thailand. Lots of good, reasonably-priced handsets for sale in the MBK Center in Bangkok, both brand-new and used and you get to hold them in your hand and try them out. I understand many of the bargain used phones are provided by bar girls who get them as gifts from clients and turn them into cash at MBK. But that may be just a story. MBK Center 4th floor (BTS/Skytrain: National Stadium)
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billp
I thought you were angling to get a subsidized handset from a wireless operator. Since you're buying on the open market anyway, why don't you wait to get one once you arrive in Thailand. Lots of good, reasonably-priced handsets for sale in the MBK Center in Bangkok, both brand-new and used and you get to hold them in your hand and try them out. I understand many of the bargain used phones are provided by bar girls who get them as gifts from clients and turn them into cash at MBK. But that may be just a story. MBK Center 4th floor (BTS/Skytrain: National Stadium)
I thought that in Thailand they cost 3-4k Baht? That was my understanding. Although I guess I will buy there if I can't find anything for less on eBay.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martian
I was hoping to find one on eBay for less than $30 USD. Is that an unreasonable expectation?
For a plain old phone, no. For a phone that supports GPRS, yes.

There is a pretty reasonable market for used phones here although the price differences between new and used can sometimes be startlingly minute! This market is fueled by legitimate trade-ups rather than other propositions put forth in this thread.

I'd say you'd have to go to 4,000 THB for new GPRS-capable phone here, maybe you could find an older, used one for 2,700?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
G'day from Oz... I will be in Thailand on and off over the next few months and am looking to cut my telephone usage cost etc.

I did a search and this thread seems relevant. While a 1-2-call SIM will probably work for me, I have a couple of Questions.

I am looking for good & reliable pre-paid SIM available.

What sort of call rates should I look for; within Thailand, to UK, US & Australia.

FWIW, I have a Sony Erricsson K800i.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Calls within Thailand can run from 1 to 5 baht per minute. The variation is due to various customer selectable calling plans; to one number, on the same network, time of day, shorter expiration date, etc.

One-2-Call subscribers can dial *777, then press 1 for English, to hear descriptions of all the current calling plan promotions. During the call you can identify your current plan and change to a different one.

Calls to the US/UK/OZ run 6 to 9 baht per minute. The 009 prefix (009 44 nnnnnnnnnn to say the UK) is 6 baht per minute, standard rates (+44 nnnnnnnnnn) are 9 baht per minute. These speecial rates were extended until the end of this year, not sure what the status is after that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.