Wiki Posts
Search

Any word on lounges at new BKK airport?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2006, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Nah.
**Moderator note: I split this thread off from one about the coup in Thailand. There were enough posts about lounge speculation at the new BKK airport that it seemed sensible to give that topic a separate thread. ** letiole.

Originally Posted by Axey
Tonight's flight was packed and everything was completely normal (including the farthest away bus gate )

Sat near a dude from WHQ flying in for the airport transition. I can't wait...

Anyone have news re lounges? I don't presume UA bothered to build an RCC?
I've heard that there is only a TG lounge built so far. All other airlines are using a shared lounge for F/C pax. It isn't clear if that means UA will use that lounge, or if *A status or a F/C *A flight would get you into the new TG lounge...

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 25, 2006 at 10:33 am
Old Sep 23, 2006, 2:59 pm

Programs: OZ/KE/NW/UA/CO/SQ/CX/JL/NH
Tonight's flight was packed and everything was completely normal (including the farthest away bus gate )

Sat near a dude from WHQ flying in for the airport transition. I can't wait...

With the new airport, all UA arrivals and departures will be via a gate (no more buses)...

As for lounges, I would guess that they will follow the trend of the other airports (the * Lounge concept). With BKK being the TG base, I would guess that all * carriers will use TG facilities (which according to the TG website are very nice)...

What's up with the ?
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:56 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by qasr
I've heard that there is only a TG lounge built so far. All other airlines are using a shared lounge for F/C pax. It isn't clear if that means UA will use that lounge, or if *A status or a F/C *A flight would get you into the new TG lounge...
Well, I learned the answer from SQ staff today:

All * carriers will make use of the TG lounges at the new BKK. There are apparently three of them, and they are in the words of the SQ agent "amazing." I guess we shall see!
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:58 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by OZ is #1
With the new airport, all UA arrivals and departures will be via a gate (no more buses)...
Don't be so certain. The new airport has 67 jetways and 50+ remote stands. Considering UA is playing cheap everywhere it can these days, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't pay to overnight the A/C on a jetway gate.

What's up with the ?
Bus gates suck. End of story.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think departing UA passengers are likely to have use of one or more of the following lounges (on level 3, one level down from check-in, one level up from the boarding gates) based on status, CoS, etc.:

Royal Silk Lounge (Concourse D, Garden View) (*G/RCC/1P/1K/F/C)
Royal Silk Lounge (Concourse C, Airside View) (*G/RCC/1P/1K/F/C)
Royal First Lounge (Concourse D, Garden View) (if in UA first, and if open at the early hours)

This is just my guess based an an assumption that the UA flight wil depart from Concourse C (gates C1=C10). The Concourse D lounges referenced above are close to the C Concourse.

I fly out later this week so will attempt to check as much out as possible and post here.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA DL UR AGR
From what I'm hearing, the old Don Muang airport has been becoming a bit of a ghost town while ghosts have apparently been spotted at Suvarnabhumi. Sound incredible? Well, this is Thailand we're talking about.

In the first instance, many folks have been leaving their jobs at Don Muang to see re-employment at Suvarnabhumi (different companies given the contracts means working class folks need to reapply for their old jobs again). The result is that some services are suffering in the interim.

In the second instance, Suvarnabhumi was supposedly partially built over an old graveyard without giving the old graves a traditionally re-burial ceremony. In addition, Suvarnabhumi does not yet have an official spirit temple for the ghosts to call home.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA pax will use the TG lounge. UA is unhappy, however, at the per pax fee that TG is charging them. Negotiations continue.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaxOmni
In addition, Suvarnabhumi does not yet have an official spirit temple for the ghosts to call home.
AFAIK, each building or complex of buildings would have it's own spirit house. I did notice a few when I visited the airport a few weeks ago. The one in front of the main TG admin. building is quite impressive. While I did not see the spirit house for the main terminal I am 100% certain that it currently exists and one can make offerings (the ghosts in my neighborhood prefer red Fanta in a bottle with a straw). I think there is an open question if it is suitable enough (big enough, properly adorned, nice enough Bhudda, etc.) for the spirits requiring it.

The Military Regime (aka CDRM: Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy) has approved the 28 Sep opening and has offered ~ 1,300 military personnel to support the opening; they will do anything required including baggage handling.

There haven't been any news items re: issues with personnel at Don Muang? I assume people would have already made job applications if those were required. The bigger problem for employees is relocating, if they want to, or commuting. The bus service from the city is pretty good, and there is direct bus service from Don Muang. From Victory Monument the cost is b35 (one-way) and it takes ~ 30 min. There are a number of other bus routes to/from the city, all targeted for employees.

Everyone involved seems pretty jittery, balancing between the fear of huge problems (not openly discussed) and the 'no worries, everything will be OK' attitude. The fact that there will not be an official opening ceremony, along with the recent overthrow of the elected government by the military (aka 'Orchid Revolution' ) only compounds the trepidation Thais, and all others involved, have towards this opening.

Here's hoping that all goes well for everyone. ^
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
[Quote of now-deleted post removed by the moderator]

I'm sure UA is not going to build a lounge for a handful of flights a day. Even if they did, I'll bet anybody who was paying attention would be going to the TG lounge anyway. Bound to be nicer.

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 31, 2006 at 12:53 am
Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by qasr
**Moderator note: I split this thread off from one about the coup in Thailand. There were enough posts about lounge speculation at the new BKK airport that it seemed sensible to give that topic a separate thread. ** letiole.
Well that explains that. I didn't recall starting a thread on this matter when I saw it on the main page!
Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:47 pm

Lounge issue at Suvarnabhumi

Thai national newspaper (Thairath) reported about 3 weeks ago, citing the minister of transportation of Thailand, that all F/C passenger will be using TG lounges at Suvarnabhumi. ROP lounges will definitely be crammed if this is really the case. I think the scenario is likely considering the current status of other lounges.

I will be at the airport in the next 2-3 weeks. More report to come.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by GRB051111
... all F/C passenger will be using TG lounges at Suvarnabhumi. ROP lounges will definitely be crammed if this is really the case...
Yes, this could be troublesome... I could see all *A in the TG lounges, but all C/F pax
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Plat, SwissBel Gold
Airport maps

I have put this up on the TG section and a few times here.... this is the best one yet...

http://bidding.airportthai.co.th/air...irst_copy.html

her is info on the airside hotel which is clearly marked on the map linked above
http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/49
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:03 pm

Suvarnabhumi is officially opened today. A national newspaper in Thailand reported few minor operational glitches. One of them was a baggage delay of a morning Swiss Air arrival for 1.5 hours with no airport staff around the baggage claim area.

I believe that this sort of issue will get sorted out on the timescale of few weeks or so.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Why is TG charging to let people acess their lounge. Isn't this a benefit/requirement of joining Star Alliance? On the other hand, I would be angry if all airlines got to use my lounge too. However, I'm surprised because I thought UA and TG had an all right relationship

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.